Clunky noise on high speed small bumps for the 2019 base Dec0y

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
I just got a 2019 base Decoy. You have to love those yr end closeouts. I've come from all externally routed mtb bikes.
The front fork is a RockShox Yari RC
The issue:
When I go over smaller, chattery rocks and bumps at high speed, I hear this moderate clunking. It's around the front of the bike. The bike functions perfectly, but it has this clunky noise.

It does sound like cables hitting the frame internally. I took a piece of cable housing and swatted the frame like an old school teacher and it sounds similar.

Now, where the fu_k is this coming from? I hate chain, cable, shock and any other noise on my bike. I only want to hear the motor. I will spend hours chasing a creak in a frame pivot. So, I'm willing to anchor a cable housing inside the frame.

Any insight will be met with a pint if we meet up after a ride

Last edited:

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
Are your rubber grommets in place where the cables enter the frame? When mine were loose the cables would clunk against the carbon frame. Cable ties work great keep them secured and in position.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Are your rubber grommets in place where the cables enter the frame? When mine were loose the cables would clunk against the carbon frame. Cable ties work great keep them secured and in T position.
I just noticed all of my grommets were NOT in place (going into the frame) as I was doing the flip chip thing. I put them all in their correct position. Honestly, they were not even close. Two were near the brake levers and the others were just hanging in the middle somewhere.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
thanks everyone for your replies. I hope to test out the grommet issue in a day or so. I will go from there.

I also had go back to a carbon bar. I have used carbon for yrs and thought I could manage with the Raceface Al bars. Nope. I just ordered a OneUp Components 20 mm rise carbon bar.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Update on the causes.
The cables into the frame did not fix anything noticeable.

The battery cable in the upper downtube was hitting the frame. I tie-wrapped some foam to it and it's quiet.

The biggest noise was the headset. It did not appear loose with a simple check, but when I had the bike upside down, I could make the headset move. So, I fixed that.

I did some fast and rocky runs today and it was all quiet except for the screaming hikers as I ripped past them...........:eek:..........................at 5 mph. There were a lot of them out today at Lexington.

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
Update on the causes.

The battery cable in the upper downtube was hitting the frame. I tie-wrapped some foam to it and it's quiet.

The biggest noise was the headset. It did not appear loose with a simple check, but when I had the bike upside down, I could make the headset move. So, I fixed that.

I did some fast and rocky runs today and it was all quiet except for the screaming hikers as I ripped past them...........:eek:..........................at 5 mph. There were a lot of them out today at Lexington.
how did you remedy this? was it as simple as nipping it up?

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
how did you remedy this? was it as simple as nipping it up?
The headset was just remounting the stem and making sure it was tight.

The battery cable was just attaching some high-density foam to the loop at the top near the headset.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Update on the causes.

Yep headset was loose on both Decoys we have!

BTW make sure you once in a while remove the fork and inspect the bottom bearing condition. There is no extra seal and when the tension was not set correctly dust and sand can get in between.....

YT_DAVE88

Feb 9, 2020
Crumlin South Wales
The headset was just remounting the stem and making sure it was tight.

The battery cable was just attaching some high-density foam to the loop at the top near the headset.
I will have a look at mine and check this. I am experiencing the same issue. I thought it was the brake hose knocking the lower legs of the forks or possibly the axel. Thank you

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
My headset was slightly loose when it came too. However whenever I get a new bike I strip it and put it back together as far as humanly possible before the first serious ride, so I caught it. So many bolts are installed dry, which is ‘not fit for purpose’ in an MTB of any sort, especially when it’s steel/alu interfaces.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles