Clipless Pedals VS Flat Pedals ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There is no reason to use clips on an EMTB unless they are your preference.

If you haven't used them before, a 20kg + EMTB is not the bike to try them out for the first time on.
IMHO, that works perfectly if you swap the word clips for flats too.

(Edited for clarity, oh the irony... ? )

Last edited:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have tried both on my ebike and i prefer clips i use multi release cleats and saint pedals its a sort of halfway house but for me it works great, i have the comfort of feeling not connected but secure and can still dab in an instant. If i need to half peddle or reposition my cranks in tight techy stuffs i prefer being hooked into the pedal
I guess bottom line it covers my lack of skill a bit

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Only clips I’ve ever used were was when I was 12 on my racer , you know the type the cage that fixed to your pedal with the leather strap to tighten ?
Then I discovered bmx , dirt jumping and downhill racing so flats all the for the last 30 odd years but like it’s been said before it’s all down to the rider and there style of riding.
Flats you’ve got the freedom to eject ASAP when needed.
If I was a newbie I would defo be starting on flats and take it from there.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
ADACA5F9-D8F7-4DF7-8675-941AF822CAD3.jpeg
??? for those that remember these horrible things ????

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup I learnt to MTB on those.

If you really want to keep your foot in place you can do what the bicycle polo guys do :eek:

images.jpeg

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
View attachment 8794
??? for those that remember these horrible things ????
Yep, used them a bunch in the wild mountains with big cliffs, etc. Early 90’s. Cannondale M500, rode it a bunch with rigid forks also, mega roots, then later put a rock shox on it after awhile, caliper brakes, big tech rides and giant climbs, jungle rides. Then went to clipless about 11 years ago, then flats last Spring and the flats rule on the EBike I got recently. Clipless stands for Clueless and some should try them on Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, or KTM dirt bike motorcycles, or better yet these cages for some than insist on emtb clipless.

Last edited:

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
I ride SPDs everywhere. I run them as loose as possible so my foot doesn’t pull out inadvertently but I can still unclip in a hurry when it all goes Pete Tong. Which it often does...
I've always rode with spd clips on my mountain bikes. I thought with the pedal assist the flats would be fun to try but I find that going over bumpy terrain my feet sometimes bounce off. I'm guessing it's a matter of experience on flats.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I've always rode with spd clips on my mountain bikes. I thought with the pedal assist the flats would be fun to try but I find that going over bumpy terrain my feet sometimes bounce off. I'm guessing it's a matter of experience on flats.
Yep one of my friends who is the ultimate skill monkey rides clipped in at whistler and everywhere but don’t have an emtb. I just went to flats and I thought the same like you said (the feet come off), but that was just the first couple rides, got to have the right thin pedals and five ten shoes though. Just remember; Hey, flats work for the majority of guys at Whistler and elsewhere doing that stuff, what are they wearing at Rampage?

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
I use both, but use flats on the e bike, pic shows the result of looping a bike whilst using clips.... broken Fibula and Tibia, and dislocation....hasn’t put me off clips but now I pick and choose when to use them!

93AFF82F-D1F1-498C-93F4-73FDE1AD0F4B.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles