Clattering coming from new CX2020 motor

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I wonder if Bosch could fix it in software. Adding a little bit of power, like 5 watts, when freewheeling to keep gearing engaged?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
It may also be the large heavy drive gear moving up and down the crankshaft and hitting the stops. I will take my Gen 4 motor and see if I can replicate the noise on the bench. I should be able to pin point the cause more accurately then. I'll keep you posted.

Telf

Jan 10, 2020
Nelson New Zealand
I’ve a 2020 Turbo Levo comp and was getting a very bad creaking noise from there area around my motor ! Whilst putting the bike on the back off my truck at the local bike park Pete a local riding a kenevo pulled up to shoot the proverbial,
He had the same problem , A loose motor the culprit. Toke the bike home cleaned it and re’torqued the motor to spec , had to pull left crank off and remove the motor cover to access rear motor mount ,
All specs are in the manual but you’ll need a torque wrench that’s rates up to 50 Nm for the crank arm ,
Watched an interesting UTube post on EMTB from Rob about shorter cranks ... makes sense to me to prevent crank strike and I’m going to look into costing some here in New Zealand . Cheers for that Rob love EMTB posts and this forum is great for info...

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
I’ve always been led to believe that the ratchet system is one of the best form of freewheel mechanisms our there, DT Swiss use it in their top hubs. The noise could just be a “design feature” rather than a fault. The variations in noise people are seeing is probably just frame design, some amplify certain noises/resonance more than others.
I have the older Bosch in my mondraker and find it very quiet, but many have said this motor is noisy, again probably just differences in mount/frame.

Tat0

Dec 30, 2019
Italy
I have just finished stripping and inspecting the new Bosch Gen 4 motor and may have a theory for the clattering noise.
You will see in the photo the 2020 Gen 4's crankshaft with the sprocket carrier over the outside. 3/4 of the way down the crankshaft is a black "cage" inside is a freewheel mechanism that consists of two fine tooth ratchet faces pressed together by a spring as shown in pic 2.
If the ratchet lifted to the top of the teeth and was then slammed back into the stops of the teeth hard enough, it would "clack". This maybe happening as the bike is violently moving up and down from both ends while the crank is stationary?

View attachment 24951

View attachment 24952
I have the same idea.

Much

Jan 27, 2020
Catalonia
I have an Orbea Wild FS and I have the same rattling noise.
First, (like everyone else) I thought it was some cable hitting the carbon fiber, but now I know that it is the engine that makes the noise.
The engine works perfectly, but it is annoying, and I hope that bosch or the friend Bearing Man will find a solution.

Greetings to all

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yes three of us have recently bought trek rails using this motor and they all clatter a bit when hitting roots etc while not peddling.
I haven't found it to be that bad yet though

Pylie1

Jan 19, 2020
Australia
Hola chicos

This is the noise I was talking about! thanks so much for posting the video highlighting the problem. I apologise for not responding for so long. I'm currently on a remote worksite in the Australian desert and have a little trouble finding reliable Wifi!

Pylie1

Jan 19, 2020
Australia
It may also be the large heavy drive gear moving up and down the crankshaft and hitting the stops. I will take my Gen 4 motor and see if I can replicate the noise on the bench. I should be able to pin point the cause more accurately then. I'll keep you posted.

Mate that would be awesome if you could do that. I've actually held off buying a bike for a few weeks to see what happens. I've gone back to work now so I can't be tempted to just 'settle' ??

Pylie1

Jan 19, 2020
Australia
I have an Orbea Wild FS and I have the same rattling noise.
First, (like everyone else) I thought it was some cable hitting the carbon fiber, but now I know that it is the engine that makes the noise.
The engine works perfectly, but it is annoying, and I hope that bosch or the friend Bearing Man will find a solution.

Greetings to all

I had virtually made up my mind to buy this bike.. the rattling noise thou. It'd drive me nuts. Not only the noise but knowing it's there and not being able to fix it.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I wonder if the rear hub has something to do with stopping the rattle on some bikes. A tighter hub with less play and more engagement might stop the rattling. I just ordered an Orbea Wild and Im thinking I might call and cancel my order. I hate a loud bike. My DH bike is a Zerode and its dead silent.

Pylie1

Jan 19, 2020
Australia
I wonder if the rear hub has something to do with stopping the rattle on some bikes. A tighter hub with less play and more engagement might stop the rattling. I just ordered an Orbea Wild and Im thinking I might call and cancel my order. I hate a loud bike. My DH bike is a Zerode and its dead silent.
It’s a hard one. I’m like you, I like a quiet bike. You’d like to think there’s a fix on the way although, it probably won’t come from Bosch first unfortunately.

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
Standard corporate reply from Orbea when asking about this..

Thank you for contacting Orbea!

We have no news of this issue with the Bosch motor.

If this happens, you have to check it with your dealer to open a claim to Bosch Service.

Best regards.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Standard corporate reply from Orbea when asking about this..
You should just cut and paste all the references to it from the net and email it to them.
Then just comment that you have sent it so that they understand their product better.

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
You should just cut and paste all the references to it from the net and email it to them.
Then just comment that you have sent it so that they understand their product better.

I sent them a link to this thread and other videos highlighting the issue.

I'm guessing they dont want to admit an issue publicly

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I remember when my first Levo lead failed.
When I called Specialized, they told they've never heard of such a failure lol ?

Tat0

Dec 30, 2019
Italy
Im form Italy and i asked on their website many weeks ago and the reply was "we have no info about a problem like this". :eek::rolleyes:

finger crossed for my myo wild fs team

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
I have a wild fs h10 and it's extremely quiet, makes less noise than my rallon.
Tried the rocking the chain ring to make the clatter and its more of a quiet tick on my bike, and the same on a friend's m10 model, the demo bike i have had a mess around with was much louder.
The ratchets on both quieter bikes feel far tighter than the demo which would have been one of the first off the production line.
It kind of appears that bosch may have applied a stealth fix to later motors possibly.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
This clatter is one of the reasons I returned my Rail. Drove me nuts after a few rides. Seemed to get louder and louder too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles