Clamping a Whyte on a towbar rack?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Does anyone use a towbar rack with their E150/160/180? With my rack (Buzz Scorpion) they say only clamp to a round tube.

On my old Whyte T130 I could clamp the seat tube between the brace and top tube as the gap was big enough. Doesn't look possible on the new bikes, even though the seat tube length is unchanged which is weird.

Guess I could raise the seat post and clamp that if there's nowhere else ?

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.43.09.png

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I haven’t put my e160 on our Buzz Eazzy 4... but if I were to I’d do what I did when I put the Trance on it and not use the top clamp at all. Push it out of the way and use a towel (for frame protection) and a cargo strap.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I haven’t put my e160 on our Buzz Eazzy 4... but if I were to I’d do what I did when I put the Trance on it and not use the top clamp at all. Push it out of the way and use a towel (for frame protection) and a cargo strap.
Thanks. Doesn't that mean the bike can still lean towards the car? Nothing actually holding it still?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
The Eazzy is designed for 4 bikes and has two vertical hoops/struts with clamps attached so I’ve just cargo strapped the bike to one of the hoops. I’ve only ever done short hops like that and wouldn’t trust it for a longer journey. Looks like the Scorpion has a different design so that may not be an option.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
The Eazzy is designed for 4 bikes and has two vertical hoops/struts with clamps attached so I’ve just cargo strapped the bike to one of the hoops. I’ve only ever done short hops like that and wouldn’t trust it for a longer journey. Looks like the Scorpion has a different design so that may not be an option.
Ah OK. Yes, mine has a hoop at the back of the rack and an arm that extends to the bike so you can't strap it to the hoop.

Not a big issue to pop the seatpost up a bit and clamp there so will prob do that.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Something like this could possibly work.

I do clap my whyte S 150 on the top tube but it has come out of the clap before so I luggage strap it aswell for back up

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I have a Thule ride on which holds my bike just fine, it has a moveable hoop to which I clamp it to my battery tube with two of the supplied strap clamps, don’t know if that’s any help to you mate

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I have a Thule ride on which holds my bike just fine, it has a moveable hoop to which I clamp it to my battery tube with two of the supplied strap clamps, don’t know if that’s any help to you mate
Thanks. The Buzz Rack is different, has an arm with a clamp on the end. Just noticed their own publicity pics show it clamped to a top tube that isn't round, so will prob work anyway ??

buzzrack-e-scorpion-bike-carrier-04Z.jpg

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Ok mate no worries, hope it’s good and secure, I still get nervous when I carry my bike on my carrier because it looks wobbly when I go over rough roads but it’s secure I know

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
Picked up a Buzz Rack e-scorpion this week, first time I have not used Thule. Brilliant tow bar rack, not sure the red strap is required. I put the clamp just above the rear shock, no issues, bike felt solid on the carrier.

IMG_20200819_144635.jpg

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
This is mine on my Thule easyfold XL. The clamp fits perfectly where I have it and rack can be folded down for access to back of car. Can be locked onto tow ball and bikes locked on rack. Great bit of kit. (y)
D78F863C-62FC-4D01-A0C0-4C6D45AB1284.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Having had my bike pivot out of the clamp and drag on the road twice, I no longer trust the clamp on the Thule bike rack. I still use it and lock it out with the key, but I twist a Gorilla strap in a figure of eight pattern around the bike, and clamp, such that the strap goes around the rail that supports the clamp. Or you could use a toe strap, or even zip ties if you are stuck.

I cannot begin to describe the trauma of suddenly seeing my bike disappear from the rear view mirror and hear a nasty scraping noise. :eek:

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Having had my bike pivot out of the clamp and drag on the road twice, I no longer trust the clamp on the Thule bike rack. I still use it and lock it out with the key, but I twist a Gorilla strap in a figure of eight pattern around the bike, and clamp, such that the strap goes around the rail that supports the clamp. Or you could use a toe strap, or even zip ties if you are stuck.

I cannot begin to describe the trauma of suddenly seeing my bike disappear from the rear view mirror and hear a nasty scraping noise. :eek:
Happened to me twice too last time was on my Whyte S150 it seemed to be well clamped I was lucky no damage I alway back up with with a strap now

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles