choosing my first emtb, not an easy decision

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
Hi from Western Canada - currently enjoy riding my regular Giant Trance about 200 miles a month mostly on fireroads, backroads in Alberta and B.C. picking berries and sometimes packing along the fishing rod, have not done groomed single tracks much but just enjoy my retirement years getting out on the bike whenever I can, now looking at an electric mountain bike to extend my opportunities and getting my better half one as well so we can enjoy getting out together, we have rented e-bikes in the Cook Islands on holiday but they are older models and kind of like pedalling a tank, but at least gave us the opportunity to ride together around 30 km everyday in that humid climate, was hoping to keep the budget under 5 grand Canadian but now see I probably need to up that a bit, our local bike shop has for around 6500 Canadian the specialized turbo levo, GiantTrance E+0 pro and a trek powerfly LT 9.7 plus (carbon frame) - all have good reviews, difficult to know what to do or even wait for spring and look at the new Trek Rails etc. but probably at a much bigger cost, interested in getting a feel for what experienced e-bikers have with regards to my choices as I do want to stick with what our rural bike shop can offer and support me with

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
The Turbo Levo for sure - but maybe I'm biased because I have one myself. Seriously though, it handles really well and has the best motor you can get, and isn't that the the whole point of an eMTB . . .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
They're all good bikes. Keep in mind that everyone has personal preferences as to what they like to ride, what they like the look of, which they think is "best", we're all different.

If you can actually ride the bikes, even if it's only in the car park, you might find there and then that one just connects to you more. You might find you think they're all similar, but you just prefer the way one of them looks or how it's built.

If there's on option you should probably avoid .. it's waiting .. or it ends up just being more waiting until the next one and so on. Don't expect any huge leap forwards from a new bike in a few months time, for the majority of us, they're all going to perform relatively similarly. The sooner you have it, the sooner you can enjoy it. And you will enjoy it ! :)

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
thanks for the feedback, guys, much appreciated - snow seems to have hit us early in our neck of the woods but we often get chinooks (warm winds) that give us a few chances to get out riding over the winter months - another appeal of e-bike for me is some assistance pedaling out into those west winds then enjoying the push back home

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Don't forget that if you are looking for two bikes from the same dealer, then you should get a better deal than just buying one, whatever time of year it is. :)

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
They're all good bikes. Keep in mind that everyone has personal preferences as to what they like to ride, what they like the look of, which they think is "best", we're all different.

If you can actually ride the bikes, even if it's only in the car park, you might find there and then that one just connects to you more. You might find you think they're all similar, but you just prefer the way one of them looks or how it's built.

If there's on option you should probably avoid .. it's waiting .. or it ends up just being more waiting until the next one and so on. Don't expect any huge leap forwards from a new bike in a few months time, for the majority of us, they're all going to perform relatively similarly. The sooner you have it, the sooner you can enjoy it. And you will enjoy it ! :)
thanks, good advice, currently on holiday in Portugal and I so look at the many e-bikers here while I have to get on the tour buses with the seniors and look at another castle or cathedral wishing I was on those bikes electric or not, oh well just have to remind myself at home below 0 and snowing so could be worse, the rest of group looking at the next bus tour, me not so much hanging out on the e-bike forum

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
finally made a decision and picked up the 2019 Turbo Levo comp today, sure hope the battery likes cold weather because maiden voyage tomorrow and so much for shiny on our muddy trails - can't wait . . .

20191203_143512.jpg

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Very nice! I just pulled the trigger myself, 30 minutes ago, on the same bike, color and all. Couldn't pass up the deal at LBS for 3989 euro (3400 pounds). Will pick up next Tuesday after getting back from trip to Spain. Enjoy!

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
Hope you love the levo! How does it do in the snow? Oh and a heads up... do NOT get much water where the crank arms attach to the motor, this is THE #1 cause for failed motors on levo's.

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
Hope you love the levo! How does it do in the snow? Oh and a heads up... do NOT get much water where the crank arms attach to the motor, this is THE #1 cause for failed motors on levo's.
gave the bike a good workout in the snow and cold this afternoon, in one meadow with crusty snow started to bog down, switched up from eco and I powered across that field - amazing - can't wait for tomorrow's ride except wearing mitts instead of gloves this time

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles