Choice between ktm specialized

rivierem

Jan 25, 2019
France
Last year I had tested a Spe Levo and I liked it.
I was thinking of going on a Turbo Levo Comp Carbon but my dealer told me that there were problems with these new models and that deliveries were interrupted.
Apparently no date for future deliveries.

He recommended me a KTM MACINA KAPOHO 2971 that I ordered.

What are the main differences between the two engines?

Does anyone know this bike?
Is he as a player as the Spé?

I hope I did not make a bad choice !!

thank you in advance

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I was thinking of going on a Turbo Levo Comp Carbon but my dealer told me that there were problems with these new models and that deliveries were interrupted.

thank you in advance
The KTM is a good bike, no doubt with high quality components, but it is a very different setup than Specialized. Full spec: Bikedetail - KTM BIKE INDUSTRIES

The ktm is a heavier enduro bike with 27.5" rear wheel, 160mm sus and very long chainstays (495mm), whereas the specialized is lighter more trail focused bike with 29" wheels and it runs the Brose motor system. Or at least, that would be my interpretation.

The KTM runs the Bosch CX motor system. The Bosch Cx is a great climber, highly proven and good quality and has generally good service in most places which is important. At the same time, for some people the internal drag on fast straights is a serious issue. See this link:
The best eMTB motor 2018 – 6 powerhouses go head to head | Page 4 of 7 | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

As a rough summary without trying the KTM, I would expect that people who do heavy climbs and like a very stable bike would love the KTM and people who prefer fast trails and a very lively bike would go for Levo. They are almost opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of setup, at least on paper. However, both are undoubtfully great bikes in terms of parts and quality.

rivierem

Jan 25, 2019
France
it is not possible to try the ktm. My seller does not have one in stock. I already order the ktm but I'm just trying to reassure myself about his behavior. Because it's the bike with the longest bases I've seen.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
If you are not sure why did you order one? The time for research is before you buy, not afterwards. As noted above these bikes are aimed at quite different riders and riding, so differentiating between them and determine which is better suited for your needs should not be too hard.

If you have any doubts whatsoever cancel your order for now and do more research; these things are far too expensive to buy at the whim of an LBS owner who probably just wants to sell what he has in stock or can easily source.

Last edited:

Alan wolfe

Oct 10, 2018
Ffgjh

thank you in advance
I got ktm macina kaphaho 274 2018 model love it can't fault it.plus price difference to specialized was £3000.AS GOT MINE BRAND NEW FOR £2700.I DID TRY FEW BIKES BEFORE SET MIND ON KTM WHAT SWAYED ME WAS MOTOR PLUS ktm BRAND.found specialized was bit to much for me to handle just wanted something bit different as well.certain made right choice.just depends on type of riding
BRAND

Alan wolfe

Oct 10, 2018
Ffgjh
and about the behavior? maneuverability? is it easy to turn in tight turns? however, it must be stable
My bike handles Like 12kg bike with motor on. Full weight on mine is 24kg but come down reds feels really stable and planted.turns very quick even come down few reds at hamsterley I keep my motor on eco.as helps when run bottoms out need that little bit power.hope this helps

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I rode both today, I own a 2019 Levo Turbo and there was a KTM demo day at Woodhill Forest, so it got the torture test on the steepest and most technical trails.
I rode the KTM first followed immediately by the Levo, given the 45mins of time for the demo I spent most of it at 50% with 100% (turbo) here and there on gnarly climbs.
In summary the cockpit is a little more roomy, the Levo felt short once I hopped back on it but I soon adjusted after a few minutes, both were large.
The head angle is much steeper on the the KTM which is a little unnerving, mind you I have 180mm Lyrik's on the Levo, but they are steeper than your normal bike.
I would agree with this lifted from:
KTM MACINA KAPOHO 273 11 PT-CX5I Review | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine
The 720 mm handlebar of the KTM is far too narrow. On top of that the 65 mm stem is on the long side – the bike thus handles nervously and inspires little confidence, especially in steep terrain.
Also there was a notable amount of jarring through the bars, again shorter than the Levo's, to be fair.
That said it I didn't find too bad downhill but not as capable as the Levo, the forks could do with the addition of a couple of tokens, I was running 30% sag and there was a lot of unused travel at the end of the ride which included some sizeable flat landing off jumps. the rear end stepped out a couple of times at speed which caught me by surprize too, both bikes running 20/22 psi.
There was a fair amount seepage of sealant present on both sides of the KTM's front tyre possibly from pushing into corners.
It was a nice surprise to ride a bike that wasn't getting pedal strike, mine is higher than stock too.
Also the KTM no where near as agile for flicking around the trails as the Levo, the rear end feeling quite earthbound, I found the same on the Focus Jam I tried a while back.
The power from the motor was as good if not better than the Levo on very steep technical climbs, and I've always rated the Levo as one of the most powerful bikes I've ridden. Delivery was also great from the motor, altho' having to reach a bit further to toggle modes built into the display is a bit of a pain as I use the modes regularly rather than mashing thru multiple gears.
My Levo has been upgraded to a large degree so the difference may not be as apparent to other riders.
I'm running - 180mm Lyriks, Cane Creek DB coil-over that gives 162mm rear travel, resulting in a 20mm higher bottom bracket than stock.
165mm cranks (with KTM logos ironically), 8 speed EX groupset, plus a very robust bash plate to protect the engine casing.
Good luck
Andrew aka Gyro

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles