CHEEB V2 Build Thread

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Just an FYI - Bafang contacted me today to say the M510 is still under development but will be sent as soon as its ready for the CHEEB V2.
hi rob. do you tried to update the firmware on M500 ? i find the 12A more fun than 10A. for the same human effort, the motor delivery more power when you using shortener rear pignons if you can keep +- 80 rpm legs.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
hi rob. do you tried to update the firmware on M500 ? i find the 12A more fun than 10A. for the same human effort, the motor delivery more power when you using shortener rear pignons if you can keep +- 80 rpm legs.
Hi, no. I don't have the original CHEEB anymore :)

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
The shock is only £72 lol

BTW, I had that shock on my 140mm trail bike before I sold it. It was actually pretty damn good, though the suspension wasn't progressive enough for it to be optimal and I never bothered to try a progressive spring.

The rubber stopper provided really nice bottom-out resistance.

Do not fear the DNM Burner.

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
You have this? Seems like they only sell ready made bikes though.

No, I have on this frame, and its ok.

laissez

Jan 31, 2021
Finland
Anything better bang for buck than this Deore 12 speed ? Had a look but think this might be the best (and in stock)

View attachment 65184
Get the new linkglide stuff. It should be .ore durable and it's cheap:
Shimano CS-LG600 Linkglide 10-speed Cassette 11-43T 69,99 € Shimano CN-LG500 Linkglide 10/11-speed Chain with Quick-Link alk. 22,99 € Shimano DEORE Linkglide RD-M5130 10-speed Rear Derailleur 49,99 € Shimano DEORE Linkglide SL-M5130 10-speed Shift Lever right with Optical Gear Display 29,99 €

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
CHEEB V2 is well underway.

New M510 motor, 20% more power, 18% lighter. And some amazing deals on at the moment at CRC - Yari fork for £265 is a steal!!

The goal is to keep the entire build at £2999 or under.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 12.29.29.png

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 12.30.57.png

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
Just quietly following this build. Checked Dengfu web site from a google search for e10. And nothing. Im in Australia and I built the V1 e10 and thinking maybe build a second bike. Have the e10 been taken off the market or is it no longer available down here in oz? Anyone know? Cheers all happy building.

Ausmtb

Dec 31, 2021
Australia
Just quietly following this build. Checked Dengfu web site from a google search for e10. And nothing. Im in Australia and I built the V1 e10 and thinking maybe build a second bike. Have the e10 been taken off the market or is it no longer available down here in oz? Anyone know? Cheers all happy building.
Yep, you can still get them in aus, contact them directly via email.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
How much did you pay for shipping to the UK? They are asking for $550, which seems high
That usually includes the import duties and VAT as well as air post. Try asking Melony to quote sending it by train complete with duties and taxes and it wil work out cheaper, but take a few more weeks of transit.

Harvamtb

Feb 23, 2022
England
That usually includes the import duties and VAT as well as air post. Try asking Melony to quote sending it by train complete with duties and taxes and it wil work out cheaper, but take a few more weeks of transit.
Cheers, I'll ask her. Any ideas what you would expect to pay for everything total? Seems to be a fair bit pricier than Cheeb v1 frame

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Cheers, I'll ask her. Any ideas what you would expect to pay for everything total? Seems to be a fair bit pricier than Cheeb v1 frame
Considering I paid around $ 900 all in, including train post, duties etc back in March 2020, have they gone up substantially since then ?

Blame Rob and his videos making them popular :cool:

Harvamtb

Feb 23, 2022
England
Considering I paid around $ 900 all in, including train post, duties etc back in March 2020, have they gone up substantially since then ?

Blame Rob and his videos making them popular :cool:
Including motor and battery??

I was just quoted $2500 Inc shipping the E10 frame but the e05 is only $120 less. 😂

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
When I bought the frame the M500 was not available. I fitted a TSDZ2 for the first year ( 250 W badging ;) ) which was pretty decent but eventually I went for a M600 when the noisy steel gear issue was resolved and Bafang had returned to a plastic main gear, as it gave me an American spec ( ;) ) and a very quiet motor, that had been proven to be reliable. I went back to Melody and Tongshen ordered it for me.

Why the M600 rather than a M500 ? Remember that power used of the battery is dependant on how much assistance you want. The M600 and M500 will use almost exactly the same amount at lower levels, just the M600 will give you a higher level of assistance than the M500 can, with the downside of being about 300gms heavier. The upside is that in theory the motor will be less stressed and last longer, the downside is that technically its not EU legal ( but that debateable ).

Battery wise I built my own for mainly cost and weight advantages.

Harvamtb

Feb 23, 2022
England
When I bought the frame the M500 was not available. I fitted a TSDZ2 for the first year ( 250 W badging ;) ) which was pretty decent but eventually I went for a M600 when the noisy steel gear issue was resolved and Bafang had returned to a plastic main gear, as it gave me an American spec ( ;) ) and a very quiet motor, that had been proven to be reliable. I went back to Melody and Tongshen ordered it for me.

Why the M600 rather than a M500 ? Remember that power used of the battery is dependant on how much assistance you want. The M600 and M500 will use almost exactly the same amount at lower levels, just the M600 will give you a higher level of assistance than the M500 can, with the downside of being about 300gms heavier. The upside is that in theory the motor will be less stressed and last longer, the downside is that technically its not EU legal ( but that debateable ).

Battery wise I built my own for mainly cost and weight advantages.
Interesting thanks for your info. What did you get charged for the motor?

(Last question, I promise!😂) So I take it you used 18650 batteries to make the bike battery? How did you get a suitable fitting battery case for this?

Thanks again 👍

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Interesting thanks for your info. What did you get charged for the motor?

(Last question, I promise!😂) So I take it you used 18650 batteries to make the bike battery? How did you get a suitable fitting battery case for this?

Thanks again 👍
Prices for things have risen appreciably since the time I bought the motor, you are going to have to shop around I'm afraid and get the best price you can.

No I used 21700 batteries, far better in this application as per my thread I created on making it, larger capacity for lower cost and using a very good battery whose voltage doesn't sag until the very end of its charge. I didn't use a case, simply heat shrinking the unit, commercial velcro to lock it into place ( you would be amazed by the grab and strength of this type of velcro ), it all comes to probably a kilo saving in weight for more capacity.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles