Check your linkage bearings

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I accept your expectations and mine are probably miles apart.
TBF Motorcycles and mtb are miles apart.

Does my head in when motorcyclists get all preachy about motorcycles in a mtb discussion. Just because they both happen to have two wheels does not instantly make them comparable.

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
If you have a work stand - just disconnect the shock and move the swingarm through its travel.
Got the work stand, just wondered if simply moving the swingarm thru it's range of motion could identify bearing problems...just in search of a quick and easy way to do a test without disassembling more than necessary. The shock bolt method is a good alternative and would allow a bit more rotation.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Usually you can feel if the bearings are rusted easily enough. Can also pick up any play easily too. Need a keen ear or a delicate feel to tell if the bearings are dry but some people can ... not me though unless they are bone dry.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Got the work stand, just wondered if simply moving the swingarm thru it's range of motion could identify bearing problems...just in search of a quick and easy way to do a test without disassembling more than necessary. The shock bolt method is a good alternative and would allow a bit more rotation.
On the levo from now on I will put in a work stand, remove rear wheel, as the extra weight of the wheel can hide the notchy feel.
I would the remove the two pivot bolts that connect the rear of the shock to the linkage.
That way two bearings get exposed which you can check.
You can then cycle the swing arm up and down to feel any friction.
I would also suggest that if either exposed bearing is in bad shape, that's the sign you need to strip down the back end and take action.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Usually you can feel if the bearings are rusted easily enough. Can also pick up any play easily too. Need a keen ear or a delicate feel to tell if the bearings are dry but some people can ... not me though unless they are bone dry.

Simply pop the bearing seals off using a craft knife and you can see the condition of bearings and grease.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
TBF Motorcycles and mtb are miles apart.

Does my head in when motorcyclists get all preachy about motorcycles in a mtb discussion. Just because they both happen to have two wheels does not instantly make them comparable.
Yes & no. However, coming from an era in motorcycles where they were shit and unreliable to where they are now and with years of durability and product testing as well as building race machines gives me a certain perspective to draw on.
Expectations are something else. Given the astronomical pricing of everything to do with bicycles, I expect quality for my dollar.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO 2 years out of bearings if you ride your bike hard all year round is good going - MTB's when thrashed in UK conditions year round get a proper hammering.

Having witnessed @Paul Mac on his Levo in some of the filthiest conditions, I cant imagine many EMTB's gets ridden harder or longer than his Levo, and TBH I am pretty amazed how well its held up as he rides full tilt boogie :cool:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes & no. However, coming from an era in motorcycles where they were shit and unreliable to where they are now and with years of durability and product testing as well as building race machines gives me a certain perspective to draw on.
Exactly the same for me mate.
A DH mtb was once a bike with an elastomer for a shock, fuck all damping other than the properties of said shitty elastomer rubber and held together with plastic bushes that wore and squeaked at the slightest hint of moisture, with swing arms/headtubes/stays that cracked multiple times a year if ridden hard.
I've built many race machines too. Bicycle ones though.
Expectations are something else. Given the astronomical pricing of everything to do with bicycles, I expect quality for my dollar.
TBF mate. those astronomical figures you're complaining about will buy you the exact same frames/components the top professional bike riders/racers use.
How much would it cost to build a punter the exact same bike Ryan Villopoto or Valentino Rossi rides?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles