CHEAP & EASY DIY BASH PLATE FOR MOTOR ???

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hey fellow ebikers,
4 gnarly rides with my Vitus e Sommet and I’ve already dinged the underside of the motor, cracked the plastic which has now snapped off one side of the plastic motor housing of my Shimano e7000.

Can’t find any Vitus or shimano specific bash plates and wanted to seek opinion from the community on this. I was thinking of buying a simple 10mm thick sheet of tough rubber matting, sketch out the underside of the motor and cut the sheet to size. Drill some holes in it and use a simple combo of heavy duty zip ties and double sided tape to fix to bike.

anyone think That would be suffient or see any problems with using that material?

Something like this on eBay >

Cheers,
Fraz

1CBD10B2-AC2F-48DA-B60C-293BB30AF8F7.png

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I chopped a piece from an old MTB tyre and used that. It wraps nicely around the down tube and also naturally curves around from the down tube and under the motor.
The bash plate bolts secure the rubber under the motor nicely, my bike has a handy bolt to secure the battery under the down tube and that was it job done. Stops rocks clanking off the frame etc no bother.

photo_20190215113710_6553687_0.jpg

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
I chopped a piece from an old MTB tyre and used that. It wraps nicely around the down tube and also naturally curves around from the down tube and under the motor.
The bash plate bolts secure the rubber under the motor nicely, my bike has a handy bolt to secure the battery under the down tube and that was it job done. Stops rocks clanking off the frame etc no bother.

View attachment 12184
This looks like a great idea actually. I have an old 2.6” Minion DHF in my garage which has a hole in it. Could be just the ticket for this. Will need to try it and see about bolt holes or just cable ties. Someone else pointed me to a website called ‘bikerster’ where I managed to get a replacement motor housing too for only £16. Quite happy ?

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
I used one of those cheap, thin front mudguards. Soaked in hot water and then bent it so the wings that fit to the forks wrapped around and under the motor . Put tie wraps through the existing fixing holes and secured them over the top of the motor. Before attaching I cut some thin polystyrene sheet to fit and put it between mudguard and frame to absorb any big shocks. Worked so far

TallPaul

Mar 17, 2019
YO325UH
I bought a square of neoprene off Amazon for a few quid and cut it to shape and covered it in duck tape and taped it on top of the original bashguard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles