Cheap Action Cam

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Hunting about for a couple of budget price Action cams, 1080p is plenty for me.

Frankly I want a cheaper than cheap model for my 7 year old because he's desperate to make videos, but really I'll be following him so his one doesn't have to be great, just sufficient to keep him happy. (it'll probably get destroyed).

I managed to secure a second hand Olfi 4k (1st gen) "The Essential" camer. Looks a bit like a gopro only I got it for what appears to be a steal (don't you love odd time ending ebay auctions). Question is, now that i've bought it, is the Olfi any good?

grover

Apr 23, 2019
PT
hi,
don't know about olfi, but i bought a "4k" cheap action cam for 50€, looks like a go pro and lots of acessories but lacks image stabilization, i get dizzy watching the videos... next time i will buy a gopro.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Gopro has a huge user base which means there is a healthy second hand market. There are cams that compete with Gopro on near equal terms but they are mostly close to the same price so a second hand gopro would be my advice. For bike use an action cam is pretty much useless if it does not have video stabilisation. Gopro 5 6 and 7 have that.....5 and 6 not as smooth as 7 but good enough if body mounted....helmet is best because you have a built in gyro/gimbal....your neck! My advice would be look for a s/h Hero Session 5.

mtbfrankie466

Jun 19, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Haha snap i have the olfi too but the newer one.five black edition :) i love it, happy to help if you want any tips. My advice would be stick digital image stabilisation on! Where are you mounting it?

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Gopro is a no go, while i may trust my 7 year old I very much don't trust your average passer by when they see a kid carrying a £300+ camera.

So I settled for a £10 1080p (claimed) cheapy from ebay for my son. Looks the part, I expect it will be junk. And I secured an original Olfi cam for me at £27 in a well timed auction which has gyro image stability and seem to get decent reviews.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles