Chatsworth area rider exploring local trails

Jul 7, 2020
Wales
Hi...going to be visiting my parents in bakewell in wc 24th august- be cool to be shown some decent trails if poss. They live just by the monsal trail so am aware of the woods on the hillside but am lead to believe that they are no-go for bikers :(

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Hi...going to be visiting my parents in bakewell in wc 24th august- be cool to be shown some decent trails if poss. They live just by the monsal trail so am aware of the woods on the hillside but am lead to believe that they are no-go for bikers :(

Hi Supa

Sorry, I have only just seen your post but just a bit of info for any future visits you make to your parents. I can see why you were drawn to this thread but the OP in this case is referring to Chatsworth in California, not Chatsworth in Derbyshire.

I live just down the road from Bakewell, on the outskirts of Matlock. The woods you refer to, which I believe to be Manners Woods, are not strictly kosher, apart from the very interesting bridleway that runs across them, but me and my mates have been riding in them without problems for many, many years.

I ride out with a group of mainly very fit push bikers every Tuesday evening and every Thursday and Saturday morning so you could PM me if ever you wanted to join us.

The Derbyshire Dales offers a huge variety of rides from scenic excursions to collar bone breaking technical descents and as an MTBing location takes some beating, but you do need to know where to go.

Jul 7, 2020
Wales
haha oops.

Thanks for this info. I managed to get into Manners Woods and had a lot of fun on the sanctioned tracks (you'll know the steep uphill at the end of Coombs road, and a really steep washed out downhill at the opposite end which were awesome) but steered clear of the trail which is clearly marked as off limits- my parents said that they've actually run into police in those woods looking to catch motorbikers and frankly couldnt be bothered with the hassle if caught even though I was merely on an mtb.

It would be amazing to tag along with you next time I am up that way though, not sure when that will be. As I was leaving yesterday I was thinking it looks like such an epic place to ride and that a local guide is what I need so thanks! I often end up going for weekends etc and generally kick about waiting for something to happen in the morning anyway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles