Charging your phone from a Kiox.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I bought a cable over Amazon for charging my Phone from my Kiox display.
Got an AmazonBasics - Verbindungskabel, USB Typ C auf Micro-USB Typ B
Sunday I did a nice 50KM ride navigating with Komoot on my phone, and as the battery started to fail I whipped out my new cable and plugged it in.
And suddenly....
Nothing Happened!

Shit!
Luckily I had a Powerbank in my backpack.
It turns out that the Kiox Micro-USB port is a type A and not a type-B that every man and his dog Knows.
F..ing German Over Engineering!
Here you can see the Micro-A plug.
20200117_134157.jpg
Anyway I managed to find the correct cable here in Germany at Electrofahrrad24.de
I tried it and it seems to work. Phone said it would fully charge in a bit over an hour, so it obviously puts out enough power for a Samsung S10+.

As a little tip, I wasn't sure where I should put the cable, as it is something I only need something and was worried I wouldn't have it when I needed it. So I put some Velcro in my Cube Battery cover and store it there so it is always available when I need it.
20200117_134216.jpg

Hope this helps.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
That's a good idea for storage, I have the genuine bosch cable and run my Garmin from it, I did originally intend running my phone for nav but the I phone + looks hideous strapped to the bars, I've just about got to grips understanding how to operate the Garmin now (y)

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
>and as the battery started to fail I whipped out my new cable and plugged it in.

Some people try out critical equipment *before* they set off. I am not one of those people and it would seem I am not alone.

The storage idea is great.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
>and as the battery started to fail I whipped out my new cable and plugged it in.

Some people try out critical equipment *before* they set off. I am not one of those people and it would seem I am not alone.

The storage idea is great.
Well, I had tried it out, and it didn't work, so I figured I was doing something wrong. I thought maybe there was a hidden menu somewhere or something to activate it. Anyway, it was cold so the phone battery died faster than I anticipated. I also had a powerbank with me. so I was sort of prepared.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I bought a cable over Amazon for charging my Phone from my Kiox display.
Got an AmazonBasics - Verbindungskabel, USB Typ C auf Micro-USB Typ B
Sunday I did a nice 50KM ride navigating with Komoot on my phone, and as the battery started to fail I whipped out my new cable and plugged it in.
And suddenly....
Nothing Happened!

Shit!
Luckily I had a Powerbank in my backpack.
It turns out that the Kiox Micro-USB port is a type A and not a type-B that every man and his dog Knows.
F..ing German Over Engineering!
Here you can see the Micro-A plug.
View attachment 24639 Anyway I managed to find the correct cable here in Germany at Electrofahrrad24.de
I tried it and it seems to work. Phone said it would fully charge in a bit over an hour, so it obviously puts out enough power for a Samsung S10+.

As a little tip, I wasn't sure where I should put the cable, as it is something I only need something and was worried I wouldn't have it when I needed it. So I put some Velcro in my Cube Battery cover and store it there so it is always available when I need it.
View attachment 24640
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the heads up on the cable. Just ordered one from the site you posted. a bit of a pain as there's no english translation but I got there in the end. The cables are a nightmare to find anywhere else

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Thanks for the heads up on the cable. Just ordered one from the site you posted. a bit of a pain as there's no english translation but I got there in the end. The cables are a nightmare to find anywhere else
Used mine yesterday on a 60 km ride. It worked perfectly. Didn't realy load the phone, but the batery level stayed constant. So they work.

avit

Jun 10, 2021
Canada
Hello,
Did anyone of you try a DJI cable ?
Seems to be the good connector. Only 30cm, but with L shaped connectors, might be better for cable routing...
Yes, they will work however you need it without the 90deg end as it interferes with the port when in the holder.
I ordered a 6inch one with a straight end from Amazon and it works great.

borekb

Aug 29, 2021
CZ
For anyone reading this, I was able to plug my Micro-B USB ("micro USB type B") cable into the Micro-A connector that Kiox has – no need to buy a special cable.

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
Here's my Kiox charging setup: this £8 cable from Amazon, and this £15 3D Garmin-Quadlock adapter from etsy, that clicks into a Garmin mount. Or you could just use a Quadlock / other. The 3D quadlock interface doesn't 'lock' per se, but it's plenty stiff enough for gravel roads. If the phone did start to rotate you'd notice. Here's the Kiox bumper, which I figure will make it easier to find and protect it if it ever comes off. Got a lanyard on it too. Let's face it, more likely I'll drop it. I've got lock enabled, so want to be careful not to be left without a bike for weeks should it break. I also take a tiny Lightning > MicroUSB adapter, so I can charge a Garmin or microUSB device (powerbank, light etc) using the same cable if needed on long rides.

2021-09-06 10.40.04.jpg 2021-09-06 10.42.06.jpg 2021-09-06 10.39.01.jpg 2021-09-06 10.40.39.jpg 2021-09-06 10.40.51.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles