Charging while traveling

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
Dreaming about all the traveling we'll be doing when we are finally out of this locked-in mode. And when my decoy finally arrives.
I was wondering about charging/battery options while travelling:

1) Can the battery on the Decoy be charged with the regular charger while out of the bike?
2) Is there a way to charge from your car/truck's own electric power?
3) Would you drain the car's battery if you charged while the vehicle is off?
4) Can the same charger be used in US and Europe-type electrical outlets?
5) Any rumours of YT developing a network of batteries for hire?
6) Anyone find any viable options for shipping batteries within continent or overseas? As a Canadian, the dream would be to bring the ebikes to Europe.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
1. Yes
2. Yes but you'll need an inverter and possibly an additional leisure battery. The standard lighter socket won't supply enough current and will blow its fuse. I use a 1000w inverter in my van, directly wired to the second battery used for stop/start and only charge whilst driving.
3. Yes it yould flatten the car battery if you wanted to charge a fully flat bike battery. I generally charge with the van engine running.
4. I suspect it would with the appropriate plug or travel adapter but charge time would vary.
5. Not that I'm aware of.
6. Not that I'm aware of - I drive to Europe from the UK so transport in the van is not an issue.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
You could keep a leisure battery in boot of car. They are just like a car battery but much larger capacity. Many car boots have a 12v socket which will keep the leisure battery topped up.
When you want to charge your bike battery, connect an inverter (at least 400W preferably 500W). Direct to the leisure battery.
I this way, you can charge your bike battery without the car engine running*

* if charging while car engine is off, unplug the leisure battery from the car supply first or the car battery will also discharge.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
You could keep a leisure battery in boot of car. They are just like a car battery but much larger capacity. Many car boots have a 12v socket which will keep the leisure battery topped up.
When you want to charge your bike battery, connect an inverter (at least 400W preferably 500W). Direct to the leisure battery.
I this way, you can charge your bike battery without the car engine running*

* if charging while car engine is off, unplug the leisure battery from the car supply first or the car battery will also discharge.
Cool, just the answer I was looking for. I wanted to partially charge my decoy when I'm at my car taking a lunch break. The local bike park I'm at right now is hot. An hour lunch in the AC cooled car while charging should give me an extra 20% and allow me to use boost when I'm tired.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles