Charging EP8 from 12V solar

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
I just put a deposit down on an Orbea Rise with the EP8 motor.

Is there a way to charge the batteries from a 12V source? Such as the car battery, even if only whilst driving?

I also have a 240W solar array with 3 x 110A batteries on an off grid cabin where I expect to mostly use the bike. (In Wales ... so sunshine dependent obviously!)

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
This search should get you started on a few options/ideas :

Cheers. Was hoping to find a more portable solution than a large W inverter but looks like that's what people are doing. I'd seen this for Bosch on ebay.

1603911042984.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Probably a good reason why it was discontinued?? 6amps through a cigarette lighter socket!! Sunshine in Wales!! Sorry to be pessimistic but I dont see any solutions there!!

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
Probably a good reason why it was discontinued?? 6amps through a cigarette lighter socket!! Sunshine in Wales!! Sorry to be pessimistic but I dont see any solutions there!!
:LOL:
So long as there is enough sunlight to keep my 0.2A "composting" loo fan going all year round I can at least keep things fairly civilised.

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
Could you supplement the solar with a little wind generator like the yachties use?
Nice idea. It can be pretty windy there and is just over the hill from a huge wind farm. Wind took the roof off the cabin last winter! So that would be an good choice for the seasons when the solar is rubbish. Not that I'm totally fairweather - but it tends to be quite nice when I'm there. :)

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
I'm going to get myself a pure sinewave inverter and see how I go. I can charge the laptop off that too.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
He could setup a tiny 4 stroke engine powering a generator and power that from the methane from the composting toilet.

Shit HAPPENS ! (It could be a positive term !)
I've seen a documentary of a simple setup in rural china where they capture methane for cooking. It's just a concrete pit that has their sewerage and other compostibles. The pit has a plastic cover over it with an outlet which goes to a big plastic bladder in the kitchen. They apply pressure to the bladder to control the gas outlet - very basic and cheap setup.

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
I’ve been charging batteries for E8000 and new Specialized 1.1 motors from our solar system in the camper for a while. We have a large LiFePO4 battery bank and a pure sine inverter. We can easily charge two batteries at the same time and have margin left to charge computers and other small AC loads. A pic of the battery and charge controller. The inverter is the blue object to the left side of the pic.

45BBCEE4-7987-4567-88CA-A8483F3036FB.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I've seen a documentary of a simple setup in rural china where they capture methane for cooking. It's just a concrete pit that has their sewerage and other compostibles. The pit has a plastic cover over it with an outlet which goes to a big plastic bladder in the kitchen. They apply pressure to the bladder to control the gas outlet - very basic and cheap setup.
Should never underestimate sewage methane!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
How about small stream generators. There appears to be a whole swag of them on YouTube. The good ones work even in slow moving water from brooks or even roadside drains- like this one...

I don’t think they’re powerful enough to charge your eBike battery directly, and you might still need an expensive bank of batteries to charge initially and store the energy for later use.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Should never underestimate sewage methane!

There have been some historic doozies. Huge army latrines (rows of drop toilets over a communal hole), and stories from when London didn't have a sewerage system and dudes had to use headlamps with a naked flame. My mother's influence when I was a youth I used to read what she had finished with - a biography of Thomas Crapper :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

thomas crapper.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles