Charger only going to 60%?

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I plugged in an E+2 Pro and left it overnight. In the morning, the app said it was 60% charged and the handlebar indicator was showing the two top lights not on. What could make it not fully charge?

I thought maybe the dealer provided a charger of a lower voltage, but it says 36v on the box and 41v on the back of the charger, which I believe is correct.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Its a smart charger.

Just plug in and turn on. The red indicator will stay red at first then eventually flash green when it completes its calculations and starts charging. When the green goes solid its fully charged to 100% capacity and you can unplug, usually within 3.5 hours. This is the 4 amp charging rate.

For storage mode, press and hold the red indicator until it turns amber, it will then do its calculations and charge to 60% for longer term battery storage.

For a quicker charging rate if in a hurry, remove the battery from the bike and use the adapter dongle to connect the charger lead straight onto the battery terminals. This will charge at the fast 6 amp rate and gives about 60% charge in just over an hour from fully flat, the remaining 40% taking exponentially longer as the battery fills up/heats and the charging rate slows.

I intend to carry my charger and adapter in my backpack when attempting a 50+ miler across the South Downs Way for a pub-lunch recharge ( with a charitable donation to the landlord).

Last edited:

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
As as bit of further feedback:

I decided today to recharge off-bike ready for tomorrows ride as I haven't tried it yet. The battery started at about 35% and has been on charge for an hour and five minutes and only has the last 25% charge showing, so it charges really fast when in the 6 Amp mode.

This gives me a fair bit of confidence in my planned South Downs Way ride to carry my smart charger in a rucksack and find a pub for an hours boost charging whilst enjoying a drink. The battery is ridiculously heavy so I wouldn't like to carry a spare one in a rucksack.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
As as bit of further feedback:
The battery is ridiculously heavy so I wouldn't like to carry a spare one in a rucksack.
About 10 pounds by my calculations, but that makes it better to transport on a bike rack with the battery off. With two E-bikes, that leaves the bike rack under the load limits, and it is better to carry the batteries inside anyhow to keep them from getting nicked.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I have a Saris Bones 3 bike carrier from my old mtb days, not sure if it can carry my emtb even with the battery removed as its way more heavy.

I also don't fancy leaving the battery terminals exposed to road grit and salt etc and would hate to be in a rear end shunt that wrecks my bike, so I break the bike down and put it in the car boot instead.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I have a Saris Bones 3 bike carrier from my old mtb days, not sure if it can carry my emtb even with the battery removed as its way more heavy.

I also don't fancy leaving the battery terminals exposed to road grit and salt etc and would hate to be in a rear end shunt that wrecks my bike, so I break the bike down and put it in the car boot instead.
I just got a Saris Bones EX and it seems really solid.
There is also a battery terminal cover available.

EnergyPak Protection Cover | Giant Bicycles Canada

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I’ve been pleasantly surprised how co-operative cafes and restaurants have been (here in Switzerland) about recharging, often going out of their way to free up a socket to plug in the charger. I’ve always eaten or had a drink but thus far no one has asked for any money. Even a short break allows quit a boost and makes longer journeys possible as well as stopping range anxiety, so I’m a fan of carrying my charger and I don’t notice the weight in my backpack.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The cost of charging a 500whr battery from empty to full is about 6pence. Even if they are on a penal rate from their energy supplier it still won't be more than 12p!

But you should still offer to put some money in their charity box - there usually is one on the bar or counter top. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles