Changing size of front chainring

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Anyone with a cube changed the size of their small front chainring?

If so which size did you increase it to. Any modifications needed for the larger ones e.g. T18-20 or will they all fit easily?

The Bear

Jan 19, 2020
South Yorks, England
On my Cube Reaction Race I swapped the original 15T front chainring for a 17T to give me more top end speed, but I do notice the loss of some ease of cycling in the lowest gear going up steep hills. But I prefer a higher top end speed when cycling on the road to try and match the speed of cars etc (I've de-restricted my ebike). Straight swap with the original, watch out for the O ring behind the chainring, make sure it doesn't snap or fall off when removing.

I work on the theory that if I'm cycling at say 20mph and 15 cars were to overtake me on a stretch of road, by increasing my top end speed than hopefully fewer cars will overtake me. Every car that overtakes me is a car that could make contact with me.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
On my Cube Reaction Race I swapped the original 15T front chainring for a 17T to give me more top end speed, but I do notice the loss of some ease of cycling in the lowest gear going up steep hills. But I prefer a higher top end speed when cycling on the road to try and match the speed of cars etc (I've de-restricted my ebike). Straight swap with the original, watch out for the O ring behind the chainring, make sure it doesn't snap or fall off when removing.

I work on the theory that if I'm cycling at say 20mph and 15 cars were to overtake me on a stretch of road, by increasing my top end speed than hopefully fewer cars will overtake me. Every car that overtakes me is a car that could make contact with me.

What max speed on the flat have you managed to get to?

ShinySideUp

Jun 4, 2022
UK

As a car driver, motorcycle rider and ex-truck driver as well as being a cyclist, I respectfully question your logic. The longer a vehicle is held behind you the more likely the driver is to take greater risks to get past you, perhaps to your detriment.

I tend to stick to back roads and if a car comes up behind me I try to quickly find a good place for them to pass and wave them through, that way we are both aware of each other and any danger is mitigated somewhat; this may not be possible fi you regularly use main roads.

EDIT:

Oops, didn't notice this was such an old thread.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles