Changing Grips on Full E - Impossible?

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
Hi All,

So I am still trying to find the ideal riding position for riding for my bike. One real problem is my grips. I can't ride more than 5k without shooting pain and pins and needles, then numb fingers. On my old touring e-bike I had grips with a slightly flatter profile like these from Ergon.

Giant's computer is kind of integrated into the handle grip - I have tried today to fit These hoping that I could trim the rubber end (because it doesn't have 2 cuffs) but that isn't possible because of the plastic underneath.

Also it doesn't seem to work because the controller won't stay in place when I re tighten it to the bar. I even tried to put rubber under the grips to try to give it something to contract against, but it just moves around and works its way loose.

I do want to swap my grips for something that might be able to delay the onset of numb fingers. Has anyone successfully done so?

Many thanks!

zegroeg

May 2, 2019
Colliers Wood
Other than the grips, the angle of your brake levers could be putting undue pressure on your wrists. They should ideally be angled so the tops of your hands run flat with the top of your arm. If they're not then angling your wrists may be constricting the blood flow leading to pins and needles. Just something to check before forking out for grips.

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
Other than the grips, the angle of your brake levers could be putting undue pressure on your wrists. They should ideally be angled so the tops of your hands run flat with the top of your arm. If they're not then angling your wrists may be constricting the blood flow leading to pins and needles. Just something to check before forking out for grips.

Thanks dude. I’ll check that tomorrow!

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
Mine won’t do that because the power selector is wider than the bars. It attaches to the plastic under the grip to give it the girth

On my non-e Specialized bike they did something similar where the dropper is attached to the grip and is the combo inside clamp. When I replaced my grips I just took a hacksaw and cut that part off to maintain that girth for the dropper...

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
On my non-e Specialized bike they did something similar where the dropper is attached to the grip and is the combo inside clamp. When I replaced my grips I just took a hacksaw and cut that part off to maintain that girth for the dropper...

Probably what I will have to do then!

Farmernz

Jun 18, 2019
Alexandra
Sounds like carpal tunnel, I had surgery last year to relieve these same symptoms. I fitted grips like your link shows and the went straight on, maybe a different brand, I’ll check.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles