• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Changing Cassettes Between Different Brands

George J

Mar 17, 2020
Norwich
Just bought a second set of wheels for my Levo, still using stock SRAM 11-42t cassette on one set of wheels but if I went for something like a Sunrace 11-42 for example on the second set would the gears line up perfectly when swapping rear wheels?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Whilst the spacing between cogs should be the same the position of the cassette on the freehub may not be the same so the derailleur may need adjustment. Does the second set of wheels have the same hub as the original?

George J

Mar 17, 2020
Norwich
Whilst the spacing between cogs should be the same the position of the cassette on the freehub may not be the same so the derailleur may need adjustment. Does the second set of wheels have the same hub as the original?

Same drive at least and same width Mike. I’m guessing it’ll only be a tiny bit out if at all

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Yeah, *should* be okay.

I base that on my experience of moving between Shimano and Sunrace 11-speed cassettes without needing to adjust the rear mech. But that was the same wheel, so I get the point about freehub maybe affecting the alignment slightly if you are swapping wheels.

I'd assume the *worst* case scenario is a half twist of the barrel on the shifter....

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I have a Hope hub with XD freehub and SRAM 11 Speed cassette on one bike and Specialized (Formula?) hub with Shimano type freehub and SRAM 11 Speed cassette on the other. I also have an old Formula hub (but different to the Specialized), XD freehub and SRAM cassette which I use to replace either wheel for cleaning and maintenance. Gears work really well whatever's on either bike - if that's of any help.

George J

Mar 17, 2020
Norwich
I have a Hope hub with XD freehub and SRAM 11 Speed cassette on one bike and Specialized (Formula?) hub with Shimano type freehub and SRAM 11 Speed cassette on the other. I also have an old Formula hub (but different to the Specialized), XD freehub and SRAM cassette which I use to replace either wheel for cleaning and maintenance. Gears work really well whatever's on either bike - if that's of any help.

Very helpful thanks ?

Bsqr

May 23, 2020
Bend, OR
From my experience you'll not likely have any issues relating to minor differences in the cassette/cog alignment. It is likely you will have to move your caliper so the rotor doesn't rub though. A good solution is to buy a pack of 0.5mm rotor shims. You can use the shims to put the rotors in the exact same position with both wheelsets so no caliper adjustment is necessary. Makes for super quick and painless wheel swaps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles