Changing brakes

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve just ordered a set of Magura MT7 Pro HC brakes / rotors / matchmakers.
Ideally, I want to fit them myself - but I’ve never swapped out brakes before.

I’ve watched a few videos, and it seems fairly straightforward to swap the front and trim the hose. Magura supply replacement olives etc for this.

I’ve also ordered a Magura bleed kit... which I imagine I need for the rear.

How do I do the rear with the hose routing in the frame? Do I just take the hose off and drain any fluid - then use the existing brake hose to ‘pull it through’?

It’s a Levo SL, so I don’t know if I need to drop the motor and remove the internal battery to get at the cable routing?

Any tips appreciated!

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I’ve just ordered a set of Magura MT7 Pro HC brakes / rotors / matchmakers.
Ideally, I want to fit them myself - but I’ve never swapped out brakes before.

I’ve also ordered a Magura bleed kit... which I imagine I need for the rear.

How do I do the rear with the hose routing in the frame? Do I just take the hose off and drain any fluid - then use the existing brake hose to ‘pull it through’?

It’s a Levo SL, so I don’t know if I need to drop the motor and remove the internal battery to get at the cable routing?

I did exactly this. I've a '19 Levo. I've read, that they can be a b*tch to bleed, however I had no said issues, so I can only guess, it was beginners luck. I took the approach of, I'll give it a go, and should it fail, my LBS only have half a job to complete..:ROFLMAO:. I didn't need them...

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I did exactly this. I've a '19 Levo. I've read, that they can be a b*tch to bleed, however I had no said issues, so I can only guess, it was beginners luck. I took the approach of, I'll give it a go, and should it fail, my LBS only have half a job to complete..:ROFLMAO:. I didn't need them...

Did you just disconnect the hose and pull it through the frame, then reconnect?
Surely there was a loss of fluid during that - or did you somehow trap it in the cable?
Did you take both ends off, or just one? Sorry for the questions - I'm not really sure where to start!

That's my philosophy too - if I manage, great... if not, someone else can clear up the mess for an hours labour rate!!

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Yep did exactly that. I cut the hose as close to the rear caliper banjo, as I could get. Squeezed as much fluid as I could out from the lever. I took the head off a small screw & wound it into the existing hose. This stop further oil leaking. I then attached the new hose to that screw. This allowed me to push/pull through the frame. Once through, I set the hose length & trimmed. Connected up using their olives, and bled.

Just make sure the Magura plastic bleed port, is as high as you can get it. Also make sure that the 'master cylinder' if full when you remove that syringe. Be careful not to overtighten the bleed screw, as mentioned, it's plastic. Good luck fella ?

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Nice one - thanks.
Sounds straight forward enough... how wrong can it go?!
Brakes are in transit just now, and not due until Friday. Might save the swap until next week - as I don't want to end up with no brakes for the weekend and not be able to use my new bike!

Got the bleed kit delivered today. I've seen plenty of videos on how to bleed Magura's, I'll follow that for the rear brake after re-attaching the hose.

Did you leave the hose attached to the brake lever when running it through the frame - or take both ends off?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Did you leave the hose attached to the brake lever when running it through the frame - or take both ends off?

Nope, I disconnected the hose from the lever. In my mind, it was easier, to reconnect that end rather than the caliper end. That way, I could keep the rear caliper full/hose part full, as I worked from the bottom, up towards the bars.. reconnected the hose at the lever, quick bleed, job done..(y)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Next question... how do you get the old ones off? Cut the hoses, or is there a way of disconnecting it at the lever? I’d say the piston end is too thick to pull through the frame routing!

86C5E006-ED34-4FCE-8EF4-65816DBDE175.jpeg
D8214413-9B97-45C9-B13E-E808D9669DA0.jpeg

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You can disconnect the hose at lever end, just pull the rubber cover off and you'll see the hex wrench compression nut ... at caliper end banyo seems to be factory crimped to the hose so only way to remove it there is cutting it off ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles