Chainstay length

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Got a question as I shop for a new bike.
I prefer a 27.5 wheel size as the bikes I’ve ridden feel more playful than the 29ers I’ve ridden. However in the eBikes, the ones that tick every other box seem to always be a 29er.

Question though, take the Trek Rail 29er, the chainstay is 447mm. The Reign E is a 27.5 but has a 470mm chainstay. I can only get a carpark ride on the Giant and can’t ride the Trek at all. I wonder if the shorter chainstay Trek has the ability to be more playful? Or is it more wheel size than chainstay?

When I say playful I mean more easily launchable off small bumps, quicker turning etc...

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
The “rule” is that shorter chainstay equals a more playfull bike. But it’s not as easy as that. You also have to look at the seat angle, head angle and such things as reach..

With modern geometry changes the 29ers can also be very playfull. But, with a chainstay of 470mm on a 27.5 bike i’m guessing it will not be a very playfull bike. Then again, that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with it.

Basicly my answer has given you no clarification.. this is because only looking at chainstay isn’t going to give you a playfull bike.

Go to Geometry Geeks to compare bike geometry.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've got a trance e+ and a speedfox amp, both mediums. The speedfox is a 29er but shorter CS at 450mm. Without doubt the speedfox has a more playful personality.

I like the trance much better when I dont ride the speedfox first. Lol. The trance climbs like dam goat though, and seems to absorb rough terrian with less drama.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
that's about 6ft, yeah? So fairly tall, well... above average anyway.
Thing is most 6+ footers seem to hankering after riding pretty long wheelbase modern geometry bikes in an XL size. an XL can still be playful for a guy your height but when it comes to spins, manuals and hops a Large will be more playful/agile. a medium even more so.
Folk are so quick to exclaim that a Medium is too small for a 6ft rider when in reality just 3 years back a Large would have been pretty much the same reach/wheelbase.
For ref I'm 5'11" and ride a small E-sommet and find it very playful.
the shorter front centre makes it easier to raise the front, easier to hop/lift/pull to gain air and easier to spin.
The decently short 445mm stays help here too. as does my suspension and tyre set-up.
(harder tyre pressures, faster rolling compounds and a firm suspesnion platform with fairly fast rebound settings will make most bikes more playful)
bar height/controls positioning also alters how playful a bike handles.

I don't particularly like 29ers either. infact I still ride and prefer a lot of 26" bikes. But it regularly surprises me how playful friends 29er enduro bikes actually are when I grab a shot.
The extra weight of an Emtb does however accentuate their stability therefore meaning they DO become less playful in comparison to their non motored equivalent and this is precicely why I'm riding a 27.5" small Emtb. (it's not actually very short by any means though just by modern longer geometry charts/fashion)

One thing that threw me about 29ers is that although all my smaller wheeled bikes are a lot more nimble and playful than them. 29ers I actually find easier to pull big whips on. (not steep lip BMX style whips, faster longer mtb jump whips)

As for turning. lean timing and lean angle do change slightly from smaller wheels to larger 29 wheels. The difference is genuinely quite small and it really doesn't take too long to get the hang of and dial in. After that it's just personal preference which you size prefer.

Small disclaimer: My bais for smaller wheels comes from BMX riding when younger and years and years on 26" DJ, DH and slopestyle bikes.
I've never ridden a single 29er hardtail I've enjoyed (and I've tried hundreds)

Ultimately only you can choose what head angle, wheelbase/chainstay length, reach, BB height and wheelsize works best for you and your riding style or is closest to what you prefer.

bit of a headfuck but I'd rather have all the great range of choice in geometry/sizing we have now than be stuck with little choice and the stagnant old skool 26" geometry we used to have to choose from.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles