chain wear

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Hi all done just over 800 miles on my sduro fullseven 27.5+ went out at the weekend chain snapped!!!!! went to local bike shop for repair but needed new chain and cassette looking for a front sprocket 16t but it has a 8mm offset to clear the plus tyres where can I get one of these from,and should a chain wear out this quickly???

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to average 550 miles on my clockwork bikes, many emtb riders do worse, so you are doing well at over 800 on an emtb. If the cassette needed replacing as well, then I'm assuming that you never checked the chain wear until the break. You may also have mangled a shift under power and would have snapped even a brand new chain. The mangled chain may then have damaged the cassette.

If it the former, then you are better informed and I recommend that you buy a chain checker to keep an eye on the chain wear. If the latter then you may need to improve your shifting technique.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There are several threads on here covering chain wear. They cover what is normal, why it wears, how to extend life, cheap vs dear, .....so much knowledge! :love:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles