Chain ware.

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
So I’ve had my Merida e160 800 for four mouths/1200 miles. And my chain is worn out. I expect Merida use low end chains, I believe it’s a KMC X11-93. Should I be looking at better quality chains or are they much of a muchness.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a thread on the Forum on this topic where many members give their experience and chain recommendations.

From reading the above, chains wear out more quickly on an emtb compared to your usual clockwork ride. I only ever got 550-650 miles out of a chain on my clockwork bikes. That was replacing at anywhere between 0.6% - 0.7% length extension. (Usual recco is for replacement at 0.75%, scrap at 1.0%).

I am doing rather better on my Eagle 12-speed XX1 chain (on a clockwork bike). I'm at over 1400 miles with about one third the wear. I believe that is because the chain has been surface hardened during manufacture. I see no reason why it should not do as well on an emtb, provided it had 12-speed gearing.

What do you mean by "worn out"? Have you used a chain measuring tool, or is it skipping badly. If you've left it too long you may have damaged the cassette and/or the ring as well. :confused:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
See the wee magnifying symbol at the top right? click that.
Search "Chain wear"
Not intentionally trying to be a dick* , just searches will work best with correct spelling.

*it just comes naturally

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles