Chain Slip adjustment

Dazb

Sep 27, 2021
North East England
Well chain slip has been driving me mad so I tried changing the chain and that never helped so after a lot of YouTube research I have managed to sort it out, It turned out that when I set the B screw tension and using the SRAM gauge I never adjusted it allowing for the sag, So ratchet strap around the wheel hub and seat I tensioned it to set the sag at 25%, Once that was done I used the SRAM plastic gauge and adjusted the B screw and although there was only a small amount to adjust it has solved the problem

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The issue is caused by modern wide range drivetrains having minimal chain wrap in the smallest sprockets. Even correctly set up the b tension screw creates a larger gap between your guide pulley and the sprockets than you'd have has on a closer ratio cassette and conventional mech.
If you want cassettes to last even longer without slipping buy a smaller range cassette when it comes to replacement time as you'll then be able to set B tension with the guide pulley much closer to the sprockets = greater chain wrap.

chain length also makes a difference as to whether the plastic sram setting guide tool will give you a b-tension adjustment as close as you can run the guide jockey and still have properly functioning gearing.

Super wide ratio cassettes really aren't the cleverest choice on an EMTB if you are able bodied and still in reasonably good shape.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles