Chain removal

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
So I’ve had my turbo levo since August and was wondering if I could remove the chain and put it back on using the original master link , I’ve heard conflicting opinions about this and wanted to know the facts from more experienced e bike owners
Many thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use the power link (master link, whatever....) as many times as I need. But when the chain is done, so is the power link. The old power link goes in my pack for the emergencies of mine and other riders I may encounter.

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
I use the power link (master link, whatever....) as many times as I need. But when the chain is done, so is the power link. The old power link goes in my pack for the emergencies of mine and other riders I may encounter.
thanks I just wanted to be sure before I took it off to give it a clean

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
assuming it is a KMC chain it is called a "missing link" and some KMC missing links are re-useable..most are not...none of the newer E bike specific ones are re-useable. If you buy new missing links they are now designated R or NR. If you buy a chain it will come with missing link and the instructions will tell you it is either non reuseable or it can be used a maximum of 3 times depending on the chain you have bought. Unfortunately on a chain fitted to an existing bike you have no way of knowing so the safe thing to do is to fit a new missing link.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
assuming it is a KMC chain it is called a "missing link" and some KMC missing links are re-useable..most are not...none of the newer E bike specific ones are re-useable. If you buy new missing links they are now designated R or NR. If you buy a chain it will come with missing link and the instructions will tell you it is either non reuseable or it can be used a maximum of 3 times depending on the chain you have bought. Unfortunately on a chain fitted to an existing bike you have no way of knowing so the safe thing to do is to fit a new missing link.

It doesn’t matter non reusable ones work fine if you reuse them.. I’ve done it many many times. best investment is a pair of master link pliers!:)

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I wonder if they are declared as non reusable because of the risk of damage if they are removed. Using master link pliers will reduce this.
By the way I check my chain length on 3 different parts of the chain. Across the master link always shows the most stretch.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
SRAM does not recommend re using the power link. I have reused them many times on the same chain before. I’ve been known to shift under full power and bend cassette teeth too ?‍♂️
I have some neat tyre leavers that clip together and convert to link pliers. Super useful.

9DD6D722-C07B-4E87-986F-36DD80396CAC.png

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I wonder if they are declared as non reusable because of the risk of damage if they are removed. Using master link pliers will reduce this.
By the way I check my chain length on 3 different parts of the chain. Across the master link always shows the most stretch.

It’s just lawyers man.. as always

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Just wondering if any of you guys have tried it...

Is it possible to use a KMC Missing Link or a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain?

I'd like to have the option of taking the chain off the bike for a thorough solvent cleaning every once in a while, but splitting a Shimano chain is a hassle - as I need to make the break in a new spot and install yet another special connector pin (which is an iffy art form in itself).

I've got a 10-speed Shimano cassette with a KMC chain which I'm thinking of replacing with a Shimano chain. I've gotten accustomed to the convenience of having a Missing Link.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Just wondering if any of you guys have tried it...

Is it possible to use a KMC Missing Link or a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain?

I'd like to have the option of taking the chain off the bike for a thorough solvent cleaning every once in a while, but splitting a Shimano chain is a hassle - as I need to make the break in a new spot and install yet another special connector pin (which is an iffy art form in itself).

I've got a 10-speed Shimano cassette with a KMC chain which I'm thinking of replacing with a Shimano chain. I've gotten accustomed to the convenience of having a Missing Link.
I’ve used SRAM links on Shitmano chains no problems at all. Still have to put the Shitmano chain on the right way tho.
My phone has now learnt to spellcheck replacing Shimano with Shitmano ?‍♂️?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles