Chain Reaction Warranty help

And1971mel

Sep 25, 2019
BS251HB
Apparently mines had a new motor and it's being posted today, they said the warranty would only continue for 2 years from the date of purchase. I read somewhere that some of you guys managed to get the full 2 years?

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
This is why I'm thinking of switching to Specialized. I've got loads of mate on Levo/Kenevo's, they aren't without fault, in fact most of them are on motor 2 already. But all of them take their bike to a shop and can have the motor swopped under warranty whilst they wait.

And1971mel

Sep 25, 2019
BS251HB
Mines back, arrived in a broken box and turned upside down damaging the stem. On the positive side they are sending out a replacement. Can't wait to get out and see how long it lasts before the motor breaks this time.?

Ian

Jan 19, 2019
Nairn
Mines back, arrived in a broken box and turned upside down damaging the stem. On the positive side they are sending out a replacement. Can't wait to get out and see how long it lasts before the motor breaks this time.?
Must be something in the air, mines back too, first inspection it looks ok chipped paint near the motor mounts and seatpost playing up.
Just glad to have it back

Ian

Jan 19, 2019
Nairn
Must be something in the air, mines back too, first inspection it looks ok chipped paint near the motor mounts and seatpost playing up.
Just glad to have it back
Spoke too soon they cross treaded the right crank arm no way the pedals going to go on aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
Spoke too soon they cross treaded the right crank arm no way the pedals going to go on aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!
You make get better results by running a tap thru the backside of the crank arm to make sure you don't cross thread when trying to repair the damaged threads. You may be able to realign the threads by running the pedal in from the backside or even a longer bolt. Good luck

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I think crc like most bike shops are just getting to grips with the ebike scene and weren't ready for the myriad of electrical issues which followed.
They are bike & parts retailers and mechanics not electrical engineers so end up either winging it or getting stuck in the middle between customer and supplier who also weren't ready for the high demand for spare parts etc.
I got my bike from wiggle and have had great service from them.
This started with a shock bush which they were prepared to pay a lbs to fix (I sorted myself)
Replaced a shifter and dropper post.
But most recently a motor via lbs, it did cost me £85 but was refunded in no time at all .
Saying that I wouldn't stand for being without a bike for any length of time so my next bike will be bought from a local ish shop who have gone out of their way to accommodate my mates and I countless times.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
My next bike will be bought from a local ish shop who have gone out of their way to accommodate my mates and I countless times.

After spending the last few weeks looking for something I can buy from a local shop I have realised nothing comes close to the Vitus for the money
, its a case of pay a few k more OR put up with the terrible CRC service IF it goes wrong.

As far as them not giving a fresh 2 year warranty on a new motor thats ridiculous, so what happens when we are out of warranty and buy a new motor ?

Ian

Jan 19, 2019
Nairn
You make get better results by running a tap thru the backside of the crank arm to make sure you don't cross thread when trying to repair the damaged threads. You may be able to realign the threads by running the pedal in from the backside or even a longer bolt. Good luck
That’s exactly what I did, put the pedal on from the back and ran it in and out a few times til it felt smooth then put it on normally. But so frustrating after being without it for so long. Taking it out for a test ride today. Cheers

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
After spending the last few weeks looking for something I can buy from a local shop I have realised nothing comes close to the Vitus for the money
, its a case of pay a few k more OR put up with the terrible CRC service IF it goes wrong.

As far as them not giving a fresh 2 year warranty on a new motor thats ridiculous, so what happens when we are out of warranty and buy a new motor ?
I think if you buy a new motor and get it fitted by a Shimano shop it would be warranted for the 2yrs.
British law, as far as I'm aware only requires 1yr with most things.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Ah so possibly 1 year if you self install and 2 year if you no doubt pay a fortune for a shop to do it.

Does anyone know more on this ? I have emailed my local Shimano dealer and will post the responce.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Ah so possibly 1 year if you self install and 2 year if you no doubt pay a fortune for a shop to do it.

Does anyone know more on this ? I have emailed my local Shimano dealer and will post the responce.
Not sure on parts tho, bit like fixing your own car I suppose.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
So sent my Vitus off with the dreaded E010 code. It has been with them now for 2 months! and took them 3 weeks to arrange to pick it up they have recently said that they have got the motor back and the problem was that,
"The electric ports were clogged with two much dirt that was not allowing the wire to sit properly in the port. This can cause the drive unit not to power up."

This is even though I checked and cleaned the ports before sending it off (maybe I cleaned it wrong wrong)

so I am wondering is 2 months to long? have asked numerous times for updates and ignored. How long have other people have had to wait?
All I would say is that I have my Vitus Esommet VR since Jan 2019 and both Vitus, CRC and Wiggle where I purchased it from have been piss poor in customer service and help. 2 months is way too long, only advice I can give is keep at them constantly and keep a record of communications. I have had some success in getting some parts replaced under warranty but not all...bloody nightmare.

Craig27

Aug 22, 2019
Scotland
All I would say is that I have my Vitus Esommet VR since Jan 2019 and both Vitus, CRC and Wiggle where I purchased it from have been piss poor in customer service and help. 2 months is way too long, only advice I can give is keep at them constantly and keep a record of communications. I have had some success in getting some parts replaced under warranty but not all...bloody nightmare.
Similar experience for me,got the bike in Feb this year and I think I've had 12 weeks on enjoyment out of it so far,the rest of the time it's either been with CRC or here waiting to be collected!
I asked for an update a few days ago and they eventually replied this morning to say that the fork would be replaced! It's the motor that's faulty....doh!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Similar experience for me,got the bike in Feb this year and I think I've had 12 weeks on enjoyment out of it so far,the rest of the time it's either been with CRC or here waiting to be collected!
I asked for an update a few days ago and they eventually replied this morning to say that the fork would be replaced! It's the motor that's faulty....doh!

It's when this turns up in the post that you need to start worrying ..

fork.jpeg

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
2 months is absolutely ridiculous. But that's just how CRC/Wiggle work. Impossible to contact other than email/online chat and hellishly slow to respond (other than infuriating standard automated replys).
cheap tho aren't they ;)
Do any of you have a good relationship with your LBS? It really is the way to go and then have CRiggle compensate you for any work done. parts sent off etc. by the shop.
I did it that way but that is not the answer. That is just letting CRC off the hook.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I did it that way but that is not the answer. That is just letting CRC off the hook.
No. It's actually cutting out about 10 middlemen. One of the biggest reasons CRC/Wiggle takes so long. They do actually uphold warranty claims, just not really in an acceptable time scale.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
No. It's actually cutting out about 10 middlemen. One of the biggest reasons CRC/Wiggle takes so long. They do actually uphold warranty claims, just not really in an acceptable time scale.
Yeah.... that's what I said. And the warranty is with Shimano.

However, CRC told me that my warranty for my bike would be invalid if I took it to my LBS even though they are a Shimano Service Centre.

Yes for our own benefit of getting the bike back sooner and by a proper service Centre and not flown to Ireland and back over a few months is better .... but my point still stands. CRC are not being held accountable for their sh*t customer service and all we're doing is bypassing it and they are off the hook.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
View attachment 20561

@David0208 : You might want to edit that post with some additional context. As it is, for anyone not reading the whole thread, it looks like you're arguing with yourself ! :)
Ha ha! I probably was! That's hilarious

It was in reply to Gary who had quoted me .... that's what happens when you try and reply in your mobile. ?

So to give context ..... Gary had reacted to my post with "I disagree" .... I just made it worse. ? So I was attempting to respond to Gary with "What is that he disagrees with?"
..... and thanks. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles