Chain oil .....whats all the fuss?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
People riding around on 4K plus eBikes are worried about spending £5-10 on a bottle of chain lube? ?

The real problem is that a lot of the chain lubes out there are shite - they pretty much attract grit that causes wear to the chain and sprockets. Yup there are some good ones too but except for waxing yourself you really need to have several different types to suit the differing conditions in winter & summer.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Cheers Buddy, there are some awesome looking trails in NZ. Hoping to get over there in the next 12 months and try a few of them out. I'm a bit over all the rocky snot where I live and some loamy flowy trails would be a dream.

You will have a blast at Rotorua.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah I'm not staying very far from there in Tauranga.
Can use Oropi for a warm-up before heading down to Rotovegas. Just over the hill from Tauranga you also have Te Miro which is between Morrinsville & Cambridge. Also have Cougar Park at Tokoroa just an hour or so from Tauranga.
Then you have Taupo another hour south.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Can use Oropi for a warm-up before heading down to Rotovegas. Just over the hill from Tauranga you also have Te Miro which is between Morrinsville & Cambridge. Also have Cougar Park at Tokoroa just an hour or so from Tauranga.
Then you have Taupo another hour south.

Thanks for the info mate.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Oops, MOTUL
I hope you don't mean motorcycle chain lube?

Motorcycle chain lube is very tacky so will attract dirt. Hence why most owners op for an O-ring chain. It needs to be tacky to withstand the high G-forces on chain links changing direction (particularly the tight radius of the small front sprocket) at higher average speed that a motorcycle travels at compared to a bicycle.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I hope you don't mean motorcycle chain lube?

Motorcycle chain lube is very tacky so will attract dirt.

Learned that 20 years ago when I started riding MTB. Had run out of chain lube but had a can of chainwax in my MX toolkit so used that. Even though I wiped it well after application after our club series race the chain was so full of grit you could hear it when the bike was on the work stand.

Nasty stuff.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles