Chain / Link direction

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Ok, I've finally lost the plot with f*cking chain direction.

Does anyone have a definitive answer around directional vs bi-directional chains / power links which they could help me with?

- SRAM MTB chains are bi-directional for all mtb chains?
- SRAM MTB power/quick links are bi-directional?

- KMC MTB chains are bi-directional for all mtb chains?
- KMC MTB power/quick links are bi-directional?

- Shimano MTB chins are sometimes bi-directional but usually directional, to tell you have to make sure the logos/writing is on the outside?
- Shimano MTB quick links are bi-directional?

Cheers

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok, I've finally lost the plot with f*cking chain direction.

Does anyone have a definitive answer around directional vs bi-directional chains / power links which they could help me with?

- SRAM MTB chains are bi-directional for all mtb chains?
- SRAM MTB power/quick links are bi-directional?

- KMC MTB chains are bi-directional for all mtb chains?
- KMC MTB power/quick links are bi-directional?

- Shimano MTB chins are sometimes bi-directional but usually directional, to tell you have to make sure the logos/writing is on the outside?
- Shimano MTB quick links are bi-directional?

Cheers
yes,no,yes,no,yes no

power/quick links need to be fitted so that the chainwheel pulls the chain pin into the slot....IE slot towards the chainwheel on the top line of the chain. Power/quick links for a directional chain still need to be the right way round...typically with stamped writing visible on the outside.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Cheers, I did think as much but various different “mtb” magazine articles online seem to contradict each other and themselves which led to the confusion 🤦‍♂️

Plus I pulled a Shimano quicklink off my existing chain and both pieces/sides are identical - ie stamped writing and an arrow on both sides which ended up when fitted pointing in different directions 😀

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So shimano chains need to be installed in a particular direction?
not all of them apparently. If its a new chain it will tell you in the instructions. If it is an existing chain the best guide seems to be to have any stamped writing facing away from the bike...assuming that stamped writing is only on one side of the chain. Its no big disaster if the chain is put on wrong but changeing gear will not be as smooth as intended because the inner and outer plates are shaped slightly differently on a directional chain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Cheers, I did think as much but various different “mtb” magazine articles online seem to contradict each other and themselves which led to the confusion 🤦‍♂️

Plus I pulled a Shimano quicklink off my existing chain and both pieces/sides are identical - ie stamped writing and an arrow on both sides which ended up when fitted pointing in different directions 😀
You only pay attention to one of the arrows, the one viewed from the "outside" (ie away from the bike).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles