Chain Life

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
One catch with chain checking tools is a dirty chain may still have some dirt between the rollers and pins, causing the chain to appear less worn than it is. Cleaning a chain we may be about to replace seems a waste of time but it may be the best (only) way to get a true wear reading.

I used to ride on a trail made of crushed granite, rough on chains. Now I ride on mostly sand as in "sandpaper minus the paper", even worse. :( My chains last one season, chainring and cassette two seasons.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
One catch with chain checking tools is a dirty chain may still have some dirt between the rollers and pins, causing the chain to appear less worn than it is. Cleaning a chain we may be about to replace seems a waste of time but it may be the best (only) way to get a true wear reading.

I used to ride on a trail made of crushed granite, rough on chains. Now I ride on mostly sand as in "sandpaper minus the paper", even worse. :( My chains last one season, chainring and cassette two seasons.
Some folk just run everything till its goosed i usually have to clean every ride if any wet trails plenty mud. Checked headset yesterday filthy it was all new 8 weeks ago . . Just have to start checking once a month. Maintenance not so much a chore if you have a decent workshop i dont. Then again doing at least twice the milage if not more.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use Mucoff lubes....usually wet then dry in the summer...just wet in the winter. I clean and lube the chain after every ride but it literally only takes 5 minutes. I use a degrease in an old mucoff bike cleaner spray bottle and a toothbrush...then wipe clean and lube. My riding mate does the same but just uses 3 in 1 oil.....he actually gets less chain and cassette wear than me! There is so much rubbish talked about how to look after a chain. A chain needs very little lube and then only inside the rollers. No special lube is really needed....no heat no high stress no chemical contamination. Virtually any oil will adhere to the metal surfaces for long enough to serve its purpose....BUT...it is the oil that attracts dirt dust etc. So lube is far less important than cleaning the chain...and to do that you have to strip the oil!! If the chain was a closed system things would be different but is not! Clean the chain with degrease then lube then wipe.....then check for wear.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
With headset most dirt and water ingress happens where the headset tube meets the fork crown. I regularly press some grease in around that area then wipe clean the excess. Headset stays clean.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I use Mucoff lubes....usually wet then dry in the summer...just wet in the winter. I clean and lube the chain after every ride but it literally only takes 5 minutes. I use a degrease in an old mucoff bike cleaner spray bottle and a toothbrush...then wipe clean and lube. My riding mate does the same but just uses 3 in 1 oil.....he actually gets less chain and cassette wear than me! There is so much rubbish talked about how to look after a chain. A chain needs very little lube and then only inside the rollers. No special lube is really needed....no heat no high stress no chemical contamination. Virtually any oil will adhere to the metal surfaces for long enough to serve its purpose....BUT...it is the oil that attracts dirt dust etc. So lube is far less important than cleaning the chain...and to do that you have to strip the oil!! If the chain was a closed system things would be different but is not! Clean the chain with degrease then lube then wipe.....then check for wear.
I used to go to Charlie Rhalph for all my repairs he put a wee bit oil between fingur an thumb thats all you need he says. As you say cleaning more important.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Canmore TLCC 29 Chain gauges are convenient, but not very accurate. They are repeatable though, if used correctly.

The most accurate way to measure your chain is to take it off and lay it flat on a newspaper. Stretch it out.
Using a metal tape, measure from pin to pin over 100 links (ie 50"). For extra accuracy, don't use the metal hook on the end of the tape, instead use one of the whole number "inch" marks and centre it over the pin. Ask someone else to keep it there while you measure the other end, 100 links away. Don't forget to adjust for the starting place.

100 links of a new chain will measure exactly 50". A chain at 1% will measure 50.5". 1/2% will measure 50.25" and so forth. A typical Imperial tape measure will have divisions down to 1/16", so you should easily be able to estimate to 1/32". At 0.0625% that should be more than enough accuracy for anyone.

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
@Canmore TLCC 29 Chain gauges are convenient, but not very accurate. They are repeatable though, if used correctly.

The most accurate way to measure your chain is to take it off and lay it flat on a newspaper. Stretch it out.
Using a metal tape, measure from pin to pin over 100 links (ie 50"). For extra accuracy, don't use the metal hook on the end of the tape, instead use one of the whole number "inch" marks and centre it over the pin. Ask someone else to keep it there while you measure the other end, 100 links away. Don't forget to adjust for the starting place.

100 links of a new chain will measure exactly 50". A chain at 1% will measure 50.5". 1/2% will measure 50.25" and so forth. A typical Imperial tape measure will have divisions down to 1/16", so you should easily be able to estimate to 1/32". At 0.0625% that should be more than enough accuracy for anyone.
I plan to do this. I will see how well it correlates to tue values indicated by the guage. Thank you for the specs you provided.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I plan to do this. I will see how well it correlates to tue values indicated by the guage. Thank you for the specs you provided.
All depends how much time you are willing to spend faffing about pal . Cleaning before maintenance is what i find takes the time . Dry everything then check this and that .If i only went out once a week it wouldn't be an issue but usually out three times . All ok if weather is good but not a lot of daylight now that winter is looming. Ties up a bit of time or it doesn't get done. Enjoy

NTrav

Jan 29, 2021
SoCal
I just replaced my second chain with wear between .5 & .75 using the chain guage. I only logged 1,600 miles on the 2nd chain; 1st chain was approx. 1,800 miles. My new (3rd) chain doesn't slip, but it is making some noise up front when it's under load so guessing the chainring teeth have flattened out some. Will likely have to replace chainring and cassette after this chain goes. Overall very satisfied with performance of the OEM drivetrain; KMC X11E chain(s), SRAM XG-1175 cassette, Praxis 32t steel chainring.

IMG_3242.jpg IMG_3243.jpg

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If your chainring is making noise under load then most probably teeths are worn out and they will worn out the chain prematurely if not replaced.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I just replaced my second chain with wear between .5 & .75 using the chain guage. I only logged 1,600 miles on the 2nd chain; 1st chain was approx. 1,800 miles. My new (3rd) chain doesn't slip, but it is making some noise up front when it's under load so guessing the chainring teeth have flattened out some. Will likely have to replace chainring and cassette after this chain goes. Overall very satisfied with performance of the OEM drivetrain; KMC X11E chain(s), SRAM XG-1175 cassette, Praxis 32t steel chainring.

View attachment 80863 View attachment 80864
The measuring tool sometimes gives a different reading if you remove the chain . Read it on here to do that and it gave a less worn reading on mine. What one you go by is another thing ?

NTrav

Jan 29, 2021
SoCal
If your chainring is making noise under load then most probably teeths are worn out and they will worn out the chain prematurely if not replaced.
Yes, figured that. I replaced the chainring after a week (3 rides); couldn't stand the grinding noise. Stayed with the $30 Praxis steel 32t. I logged 3,400 quiet miles on the first one... plus 50 not so quiet.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I have used Sram Eagle GX-chain, 1000-1500km to 0,5 wear.
Yesterday i changed Sram Eagle X01-chain, interesting to see how long it lasts.

Cassette is Sram NX. Front i have Praxis 34t steel. About 2000km on.

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
Brought my bike to the LBS today for a checkup. After > 1.900 km the Eagle NX-Chain is at ~60%, he says, so doesn't need replacement yet. I think that's not too bad given it had to endure a lot of mud and water during the last several months. Once it's worn out I'm planning to replace it with a X01 chain which is said to last up to three times longer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles