• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Chain jumping

Lappy 927i ultimate

Jun 15, 2019
Cheshire
Hi all after some help. I have a lappiere Overvolt 927i I have had it about 4 weeks and covered 200 miles it has the di2 11 speed gears on it I have tried countless times to tune them in which seems a success when on the stand but when I go on a ride they keep jumping well more like slipping. Watched loads of vids on you tube and I’m sure I’m getting it right as it goes up and down the gears smoothly then I go out and they jump. Mainly 10 and 11. Do u think my chain could be goosed allready ? How do I check this ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You need a chain wear checking tool to determine whether your chain is worn. Max wear before replacement on a 1x11 is 0.5% as measured by the tool.
By 10 and 11 do you mean the 2 lowest ( biggest) cogs? If so chain wear is not likely to be the problem, it sounds more like derailleur adjustment. If you have done all the adjustment maybe another mechanical problem is causing the slipping such as a bent or misaligned hanger. The main difference between the bike on and off the stand is the compression of the suspension which puts more pull on the derailleur.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Check the mech body for scratches and/or dents. The more gears you have on the cassette, the more precise the set up needs to be. When all the usual things have been checked (cable tension, limit screws, worn chain or cassette) then all that is left is the mech-hanger alignment. Mech-hangers are designed to bend when the mech gets a knock. Mechs are expensive, hangers are cheap.

Ideally buy a mech-hanger alignment tool (about £25). They are simple and robust; you will have it for life. alternatively, take the bike to your LBS and they should check the alignment for you and fix it while they are at if in less than 15 minutes.

If you have the tool, then you can get the alignment spot on, rather than within 3 mm or so, like the bike shop will.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
the deralieur hanger bends easily so perhaps throw on a new one if cheap
the other thing is try adjusting it with air let out of the shock to sag level
my bike has the same thing but 1800 km on it so hopefully just a warn cassette

Lappy 927i ultimate

Jun 15, 2019
Cheshire
Thanks for the replies and advice people. I have put a new chain on anyway and been playing around with the adjustment I think I’m nearly there but we will see. Going to have another go tonight then failing that it’s a bike shop job as I will have done all I can. Waiting a a chain measurement tool to arrive so will be interesting to see if it is worn as it looks very worn to me and razor sharp edges on it. Thanks again

Lappy 927i ultimate

Jun 15, 2019
Cheshire
Took it to the bike shop today and the hanger is bent, rear cassette is bent and chain also goosed.
Also a problem with front forks creaking so there looking at that and are also going to get my E-TUBE app working when I pick the bike up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles