Chain guide adjustment

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
As you can see the chainguide is not adjusted properly. The chain is riding on the guide higher gears. I was able to loosen the upper bold and slide the guide back, which helped, but did not solve the problem. Has anyone been able to loosen the ISCG bolts?

18metapwrgr_3_2000-jpg.69

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Thanks for the reply. That is the stock picture from Commencal's website. Mine has the same issue. Since Commencal tilts the motor forward in the frame, the factory chain guide it slightly out of position. It seem Shimano over tightened the isg bolts. I do not want to strip these.

I believe special tools are required to remove the spider.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're unlikely to strip the ISCG bolts losening them. If they are really tight there's more chance of rounding the hex of the bolts so just make sure to use a decent quality allen key that isn't loose in the hex of the bolts and that you can get decent leverage on the key.
The ISCG bolts look easily accessible through the space between the spider/chainring by rotating crank position.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
They are accessible and I have a nice set of Wiha keys. Still seem like they will round.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Same issue with mine , the bolts will undo with a crack , they are threadlocked , do need a decent Allen key , but wiha should be fine . Don’t use a ball end
the adjustment on the top bolt is most of your problem there , on mine its set almost all the way back Yours is too far forward and it will move lower as it slides back . Set the chain on the smallest rear cog and it should be almost touching the lower part of the guide . I think there is a set up diagram in the book
Hard to believe commencal actually used that as a pic in their website , you can see its lifting the chain . I never noticed it when looking at the pics every day before my bike arrived ?

Reactions: njn

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
The wiha keys flexed, so I got some bits which worked great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles