Chain chat / chain snapping / #E*POWAH?

Best Chain manufacturer

• Total voters

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Oh it gets better, the first fall I slid straight into a small boulder and dinted my down tube which in turn touched the battery and also gouged my fork stanchion. Insurance is getting a call tomorrow.

Nooooooooo ..

Well as my OH would say everytime I have an accident, "Why did you do that ??" .. :)

Does insurance cover things like that ? It seems like insuring a tree which you intend to be firewood.

"Hello, yes, Christian here, you'll not believe it, that tree I insurede, I ran the chainsaw through the bottom and it fell over"
"Hello, yes, me again, can I claim again ? Yes, Excellent, anyway, I was swinging my axe around and it kinda all got broken up into tiny pieces"
"Hello .. erm, well, where do I start, that tree .. it's gone, went up in flames .. nothing left"

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Nooooooooo ..

Well as my OH would say everytime I have an accident, "Why did you do that ??" .. :)

Does insurance cover things like that ? It seems like insuring a tree which you intend to be firewood.

"Hello, yes, Christian here, you'll not believe it, that tree I insurede, I ran the chainsaw through the bottom and it fell over"
"Hello, yes, me again, can I claim again ? Yes, Excellent, anyway, I was swinging my axe around and it kinda all got broken up into tiny pieces"
"Hello .. erm, well, where do I start, that tree .. it's gone, went up in flames .. nothing left"
Lol well they don’t cover scratches and dints unless they impede the use of the bike so I will be arguing that the stanchion gouge leaks oil and will damage the seal. The lowers also have a dint and scratch which may affect the innards.
Frame is rubbing against the battery so surely they can’t guarantee the battery hasn’t got any internal damage. Also catches a bit when removing the battery so in my books that’s frame, fork and battery replacement.
We’ll see how they view that. Specialized and the suspension joint will confirm that I’m sure.
All good, anything can be fixed. Lucky I have a spare Kenevo

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I was told the other day that if you dribble some superglue on stanchion gouges and wipe it off, it helps .. no idea how effective it is ..

So new bike then ! :)
That’s rough Zimmer. I’d re weld, polish and coat that shit but I’m shooting for a new bike as I doubt spesh will do a frame only.
Then hopefully I can buy the old bike back cheap and then I’ll fix that and have another spare ebike.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That’s rough Zimmer. I’d re weld, polish and coat that shit but I’m shooting for a new bike as I doubt spesh will do a frame only.

I think it's intended more as a quick fix to stop things getting worse .. :)

I’m shooting for a new bike as I doubt spesh will do a frame only.
Then hopefully I can buy the old bike back cheap and then I’ll fix that and have another spare ebike.

And all of this happened because you didn't lube your chain properly ! ;):p

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Finding the best bicycle chain: What over 3,000 hours of testing revealed | CyclingTips

Want to skip the how and why and head straight to the what? Click the links below:

The most durable 11-speed chains
The most durable 12-speed chains
The most efficient 11 & 12 speed chains
Shimano 105 vs Ultegra vs Dura-Ace
8 vs 9 vs 10 vs 11 vs 12-speed durability
Zero Friction Cycling’s recommendations
Wrap-up

Spoiler: the KMC chains tested were among the least durable and had the highest cost/mile.

and "As always, run a good lube and keep your drivetrain clean – that’s the real trick to getting the most value and performance from your drivetrain components."
Thank you for posting this article, just what I was looking for.
Got to the realization, that using 12 speed Shimano Chain on the long run, would be to much of a hassle, as they are no compatible big/bling chainring available.
Chain "has" to be Gold, for now...:LOL: , so the only option I had was KMC e12 Ti-N or Eagle XX1.
Looking at this chart... no brainer, it shall be XX1 gold. (y)

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
That’s the problem I was shifting while powering up climbs. I fell twice today as the trails are super slippery and was a bit rattled so I wasn’t thinking straight.
Totally my fault I know but thought it was relevant to the thread.
Maybe he too likes to shift at the wrong time
Might be worth considering...
When I still have to shift further once I’ve already started climbing, I back off a bit on my pedalling force until I hear/feel my chain hook-up onto the next larger cog - before I pedal hard again. And only one shift at a time. Depending on my power setting, my motor may already be doubling the torque that I’m exerting from my pedal effort. I can’t trust my senses in this aspect anymore because the power-assist situation is deceptive.

Most modern trigger shifters are capable of shifting 2 or 3 steps in one deep push of the thumb, but I avoid doing that on an eBike. If it’s a real steep climb, I anticipate what gear I need to be in for the ‘slogging’ part and do most of the quick double shifting beforehand while the slope is still mild... so I minimise or eliminate the need to shift when I’m at the real business end of the climb. It doesn’t feel like you’re gonna win races this way, but it’s an eBike - and if you still have a chain, you can make up for the momentary lost time by powering up the last half of the climb.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
You don't give advice you just rant at people, force your opinion and chat utter bollocks! A typical forum idiot.

Like many others on this forum I don't ever want to read a response from you, delete your comments and disappear.

Just do what I do, put him on block. No longer have to read his nonsense!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
giphy.gif

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I avoid doing that on an eBike.
You don't have to avoid it.. you simply have to be soft pedalling while doing it. similar to what you described changing just ONE gear on a climb.
Upping Ebike assistance to gain momentum can actually allow you to then ease off and soft pedal through 3 gears without doing anything harmful at all to your drivetrain,

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assess the gear and mode I need for the climb in advance. It may mean a much higher cadence to begin with or just accept progress will be slower.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
All sound advice but I had just crashed bad enough to damage my bike and almost dislocated my shoulder so I was rattled to say the least. I also have Adhd and am quite easily excited and combined that with a technical steep boulder climb there’s no way I can find the right gear or pedal at the right speed.
Think of me like a mouse in the spinning wheel who doesn’t stop until I fly out of it and keep going back for another go.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Upping Ebike assistance to gain momentum can actually allow you to then ease off and soft pedal through 3 gears without doing anything harmful at all to your drivetrain,
Yes I haven’t heard or seen any mention of this technique anywhere but I discovered it using eGenesis App’s Automatic mode which will shift to Turbo for a second or 2 adjustable, then switch back to Trail or Eco. That very brief automatic turbo burst is particularly useful for maintaining speed & momentum prior to multiple gearshifts, in my case with a Rohloff.

I had just crashed bad enough to damage my bike and almost dislocated my shoulder
Glad the bike’s you’re okay :cool:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Sorry I didn’t vote in the poll.
I’ve found this chain though to be un-breakable. Gotta remove a couple links but otherwise pretty solid.

18C2B040-089B-47E9-B305-312EC002B60E.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Sorry I didn’t vote in the poll.
I’ve found this chain though to be un-breakable. Gotta remove a couple links but otherwise pretty solid.

View attachment 22754

Just so happens my LBS has the Kashima version of your chain. But the quick-links aren't available in Kashima, only in black - so I left it.

I mean, who goes through all that trouble - but then drops the ball on the quick-link?!

Kashima Black Link.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

:eek::oops: ... actually, it felt like it probably looked like that on today's ride .. Thick sloppy mud, lots of standing water and sinky bogs .. Battery flat in an impressive 18k's (the bit after was not nice in those conditions..) Was (stupidly) trying to prove that I could go faster on a circuit with the Kenevo in Winter than on the E8000 hardtail in summer (we like dumb winter challenges). Using strava's "compare" I was actually ahead until I got a branch all wrapped up round the cassette and de-railed the chain. So it is possible. I then got flagged down by a farmer standing in the track and had to go pull his ploughing tractor out of the mud - with his other tractor - not the Kenevo ... :) Was not making smooth silky sounds for the last few k ....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just so happens my LBS has the Kashima version of your chain. But the quick-links aren't available in Kashima, only in black - so I left it.

I mean, who goes through all that trouble - but then drops the ball on the quick-link?!

Nice job ! :) We know who to send our quick photoshop requests too now ! :)

It does make you wonder why @Christian was looking at the anchor chain for "Quantum of the Seas" ?? Dent bike ... get insurance money ... buy cruise liner to take old Kenevo to New Zealand with battery.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
:eek::oops: ... today's ride... Thick sloppy mud, lots of standing water and silky bogs... Was (stupidly) trying to prove that I could go faster on a circuit with the Kenevo in Winter than on the E8000 hardtail in summer (we like dumb winter challenges)...
So you like dumb winter challenges, aye :unsure:
Are you sure that you're not just a bit kinky and like to wallow in thick sloppy mud, lots of standing water and silky bogs? :giggle:

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I have a chainbreaker and quick link but think it prudent to add a spare chain to my kit bag for longer rides, the thought of a 3 or 4 mile push back to the car is anathema. That being said, what is the minimum chain length I need for a Kenevo? I see the one that comes with it sells as 122 links but the PC1130 referenced is often 114 links long. Is that enough or should I just go with something like the KMC 11EPT? I also notice that the spec'd KMC X11ET doesn't seem to be available, is this just an OEM version?

The x11et was not an oem version.. the reason we can't find it anymore is it was discontinued. The new "lineup" of 11speed kmc ebike chains is as follows;
x11 - no rust protection,normal power rating.
x11ept - no rust protection, extra! Power rating.
X11e - rust protected, normal power rating
X11e ept - rust protected, extra! Power rating.
The last one, is my choice.. for the obvious reasons.. it comes in 122 links, but all you need for a large size Kenevo is 118 links, so I shorten mine and save the extra links for an emergency. Together with a chainbreaker tool, and spare quick connector links.
These chains can usually be found for around 45 pound on eBay.
See attached files.
Hope this helps
Tim
Screenshot_20191211_233558.jpg
Screenshot_20191211_232935_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles