Cassette Replacement Options - Garbaruk, E13 or SRAM

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Hey all (updated to include option #5)

Its almost that time of year where drivetrain replacements are set to take place (*its almost WINTER here in Canada).

My bike is the 2019 Decoy with Di-shifting ... AND the ever so cranky/clunky E13 cassette. I am happy thus far with the rims and hub, but not so much with the cassette (just like hundreds of others).

So here are my options

1. Replace with a SunRace 10-46 T 11 speed cassette (for XD driver)
2. Replace with a Garbaruk 10-46 11 speed cassette (I have never heard of this company until today .. so any feedback is welcome
3. Replace with a stock E-13 TRS plus Gen 2 cassette (please do not recommend this - lol)
4. *** Replace with a SRAM 10-42 T (XG-1150 compatible with XD)
5. Replace Freehub body on e13 wheelset from XD to Shimano (available now) and Install 11 speed shimano XT M8000 cassette (11-46)

I often wonder why nobody is replacing their stock e-13 cassettes with SRAM offerings ? I understand the largest cog is 42T vs 46T .. but I have ZERO use currently for the 46T cog (never use it).

Is the reason why nobody changes to an 10-42T offering simply due to gearing range OR is there some compatibility issue with either the E13 hub or Di-2 system ??

Cheers ahead of responses

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I'd probably change the freehub body to shimano and put the new deore 11spd cassette on. Im weary of the 12spd chains on emtb. I think it has a 50t large cog. Im considering the 9spd box setup with a sram chain for emtb durability and cheap. It has a 48t large cog. Makes it easier to conserve the battery power by using eco. Steel microdrive would be sweet. Futureproof and steel

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I converted to Eagle and couldn't be happier.
Mine came with 11 spd Shimano, which I didn't like, mostly due to the "thick feeling" lever action.
I had an extra Eagle x01 drivetrain, taken off a different bike, that I installed and it works great.
I do sometimes use 50t on very steep terrain (but not often).

On both my e-bike and analog bikes, I've found SRAM 12 spd to be a far superior system to SRAM 11 spd.

The e-13 is just junk. I had their cassette on an analog bike and it was never right - even after they replaced it twice under warranty. It either shifted like crap or sounded like a coffee grinder.

I've yet to try Shimano 12 spd but hear good things about it.

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France

Its almost that time of year where drivetrain replacements are set to take place (*its almost WINTER here in Canada).

My bike is the 2019 Decoy with Di-shifting ... AND the ever so cranky/clunky E13 cassette. I am happy thus far with the rims and hub, but not so much with the cassette (just like hundreds of others).

So here are my options

2. Replace with a Garbaruk 10-46 11 speed cassette (I have never heard of this company until today .. so any feedback is welcome
3. Replace with a stock E-13 TRS plus Gen 2 cassette (please do not recommend this - lol)
5. Replace Freehub body on e13 wheelset from XD to Shimano (available now) and Install 11 speed shimano XT M8000 cassette (11-46)

I often wonder why nobody is replacing their stock e-13 cassettes with SRAM offerings ? I understand the largest cog is 42T vs 46T .. but I have ZERO use currently for the 46T cog (never use it).

Is the reason why nobody changes to an 10-42T offering simply due to gearing range OR is there some compatibility issue with either the E13 hub or Di-2 system ??

Hello, I have the same bike as you, and I replaced the 9/46 cassette with a 10/48 garbaruk, (forced to replace the gear cage with a garbaruk cage) for 1 year and 4000 km everything is fine. gears still shift as well and silently. If you go to 10/46, no need to replace the gear cage. I replaced the chain at the same time and my chain also has 4000 kms and no wear measured with the tool. I use the smoove chain lubricant and I am in the south of France (dry and rocky terrain)

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
After 3 warranty replacement e13 cassettes I went with option 4.
For the price of the cassette I can just replace it whenever I need
to and not eke every last mile out of it. Ultimately I will replace the
freehub to Shimano but they were out of stock and I thought I'd
try this option first. Bike has way more than enough power and
I have never felt under geared with the SRAM cassette.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I did option 4 too but went XO1 with WT 46T giant cog. In retrospect based on how fast things wear I would go with option 5 simply because the replacement cassette is so much cheaper and not that hateful on weight. E13 HG freehubs are cheap too. Personally I find the 46 useful on big elevation techy climbs.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I wanted option 5 on my 2019 pro race with di2 but it did not exist so I ended up having a custom set of wheels built. I now have shimano xt 11speed an it’s sweet it’s night an day from the garbage e*13 cassette . I used the chain that was on my bike think it’s a sram as the bike had only done 18miles an it works flawlessly

My opinion would be option 5
Xt are cheap enough an do a fantastic job

Just had a look an there is no stock for the hg shimano driver on e13s website

Oops my bad I meant option 5

Last edited:

mikecol

Mar 16, 2019
Treasure Island, FL USA
Have 2019 pro race with di2 and ready to throw the e13 in the trash. Going for option 5 and just received the Shimano HG driver from e13; looks good and sure happy they have it now. Also got micro spine driver for possible 12sp conversion later.

Going with the XT 11-46.

Last edited:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I've got Sun Race cassettes on a few bikes and they're fine. I've given up buying $$$$ cassettes a while ago, it's fine when they come on a bike, but I don't notice enough difference for cheaper ones to rationalize the money to save a few grams, I'd rather spend money on new tires.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Thanks for the feedback all (y)

I think I will go #5 if I can get a freehub body for the e13 wheelset.

Wonder why nobody recommended the e13 :unsure: ?? (said with sarcasm x1000) :LOL:

The good news is that 11 speed drivetrain cassettes are quite cheap now since 12 speed is all the rage (hardly warranted IMO just for a 9 tooth cog) .. but that's another debate all together :unsure::cool:

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US

So here are my options

go with #1 (Sunrace)

don't to #5. The shimano 11-46 has too big a jump from 37 to 46

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors

So here are my options

4 years ago i got a XC HT with 10-42, 11s it is great so that is a suggestion.
Presently my Ebike is 10S 11-42 and i love it.

MACSKI1

Aug 4, 2020
Australia
Well my Levo was built with SLX 12 speed...no much good. I have XT Di1 11 speed now on M 8000 XT hub(no more Micro-Spline) Sun Race cassette and now I think my drive train might last a lot longer. The 12 speed stuff is great on my Stump-jumper, but high torque and power trashes micro-spline on my ebike . Di2 on my Levo is absolutely brilliant instant shifting.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Well my Levo was built with SLX 12 speed...no much good. I have XT Di1 11 speed now on M 8000 XT hub(no more Micro-Spline) Sun Race cassette and now I think my drive train might last a lot longer. The 12 speed stuff is great on my Stump-jumper, but high torque and power trashes micro-spline on my ebike . Di2 on my Levo is absolutely brilliant instant shifting.
With the price of the bike and the switch what is the total$?

nineT

Apr 16, 2020
Bavaria
Garbaruk cassette 12speed 11-52, SHIMANO Deore XT chain CN-M8100 and Deore XT shifter RD-M8100-SGS working nearly perfect together on my Altitude Powerplay.
The Garbaruk is not rated for emtb, but cogs 2-12 are made of steel, no issues after 2500 km so far.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
1200 kms on my Decoy and it's just come back from an overhaul at the local bike store. New rotors, few replacement spokes, brake bleed, etc, etc. Cassette is worn and will need replacing soon. I'll stick with an 11 speed 9-46 (or 10-46 or 11-46) cassette, but not the e13! I think it might be seized, so might need more than a new cassette...

Any updates from anyone since the OP?

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I'm sorry to be an outlier but I'm quite happy with my e13 cassette. I found it more fiddly to get the cable tension just right, but once dialed, it works great. I use the 46T a ton as I have nothing but steep hills. I also run a Wolf tooth steel 30t front ring.
When it's shot, I have a SunRace 10-46 I'll try next

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I'm sorry to be an outlier but I'm quite happy with my e13 cassette. I found it more fiddly to get the cable tension just right, but once dialed, it works great. I use the 46T a ton as I have nothing but steep hills. I also run a Wolf tooth steel 30t front ring.
When it's shot, I have a SunRace 10-46 I'll try next
I also use the 46 a fair bit as we have quite a few steep technical climbing trails around here.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I should update as I started the post :cool:

Ended up changing to a Shimano freehub and sent the E13 "hop skippety jump" cassette to its rightful place.

It now lives in MTB peace alongside my old 26" tires, fingerless gloves, triple front chainrings, gripshift and elasotomer fork ?. RIP E13 cassette .. wasn't nice knowing you. (the e13 Helix cassette looks like a winner however)

I ended up getting an 11-42 AND and 11-46 cassette (good price). Decided to install the 11-42 cassette (and keep the 11-46 to install when I sell the bike) .. reason below.

Personally I never used the 46T cog on the E13 (and can't see using it on the Shimano). Felt like I was spinning like a madman and going nowhere (like sitting in a spin class trying to impress everybody but moving nowhere and not impressing anybody either :rolleyes:)

The Shimano 11-46 cassette has the same dreaded "gap" I did not like with the E13. Jumping from a 46T to a 39T (7 tooth jump) is way too much of a spread for me. I always found myself wishing for something "in-between" when riding the Decoy. I had the Shimano on several analog bikes as well and felt the same way. ** Depends where you ride of course (bias disclaimer inserted here).

The 42 to 39 gap "seemingly" makes more sense to me (and its lighter just like my spandex riding gear o_O). I actually see using the 42T now on steep climbs. Time will tell since its winter where I am and the Decoy is in hibernation until spring ?(and I have the 11-46T as backup to install if I really miss the 46T and the 7 tooth gap)

So in summary ... now on Shimano and the E13 :poop:has been given the 21 skipping tooth salute :)

I'll update my riding thoughts in a few months ...

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I should update as I started the post :cool:

Ended up changing to a Shimano freehub and sent the E13 "hop skippety jump" cassette to its rightful place.

It now lives in MTB peace alongside my old 26" tires, fingerless gloves, triple front chainrings, gripshift and elasotomer fork ?. RIP E13 cassette .. wasn't nice knowing you. (the e13 Helix cassette looks like a winner however)

I ended up getting an 11-42 AND and 11-46 cassette (good price). Decided to install the 11-42 cassette (and keep the 11-46 to install when I sell the bike) .. reason below.

Personally I never used the 46T cog on the E13 (and can't see using it on the Shimano). Felt like I was spinning like a madman and going nowhere (like sitting in a spin class trying to impress everybody but moving nowhere and not impressing anybody either :rolleyes:)

The Shimano 11-46 cassette has the same dreaded "gap" I did not like with the E13. Jumping from a 46T to a 39T (7 tooth jump) is way too much of a spread for me. I always found myself wishing for something "in-between" when riding the Decoy. I had the Shimano on several analog bikes as well and felt the same way. ** Depends where you ride of course (bias disclaimer inserted here).

The 42 to 39 gap "seemingly" makes more sense to me (and its lighter just like my spandex riding gear o_O). I actually see using the 42T now on steep climbs. Time will tell since its winter where I am and the Decoy is in hibernation until spring ?(and I have the 11-46T as backup to install if I really miss the 46T and the 7 tooth gap)

So in summary ... now on Shimano and the E13 :poop:has been given the 21 skipping tooth salute :)

I'll update my riding thoughts in a few months ...
Thanks for the update. It's meant to be winter here as well, but the weekends have been great for riding this December in Vancouver. 10 degrees tomorrow and the sun is also meant to make an appearance. Good job too - as the local ski hills have crappy conditions and horrendous lineups. I'm going to try and keep biking this winter.

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Thanks for this post. I went for option 5. Effortless conversion.
I was wondering if the Di2 derailluer can be set up to use a 10 speed cassette?
Has anyone gone 10 speed, for the extra strength and longevity?

T jeerd

Mar 5, 2021
Ch
Thanks for this post. I went for option 5. Effortless conversion.
I was wondering if the Di2 derailluer can be set up to use a 10 speed cassette?
Has anyone gone 10 speed, for the extra strength and longevity?
Got the pro race too. Gone trough 2 e13 cassettes. Now on a Ztto working fine.
just got a Branch In the derailleur, snapt it to parts.
bought a new xt derailleur and xt shifter. Ditching the di2.
further was thinking of option 6.
Getting a whole new wheel. With HG body. Maybe 29”.

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
Ive just put a new warranty replacement e-13 cassette and kmc chain on, it shifts and skips worse than the last one. I even took it to the LBS to see if hey could sort and they couldn't.
I wasn't prepared to keep riding it, so I bought a new microspline freehub, XT 12 spd bundle, hoping to get it fitted this week.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Well I'll update my experience giving the snow has melted and riding has started again.

Just finished reassembling my Decoy with a complete new drivetrain. Ended up going with the Shimano 42T 11 speed cassette.

The Decoy was the first bike I have ever owned with Di2 shifting, and I have to admit I wasn't sold on it.

No need for "bear bells" when your riding the E13 cassette ....

Anyway now the update ... WOW !!! I cannot believe how much quieter the Shimano cassette is. Smooth shifting, no grinding, skipping. cracking ... VERY impressed.

Actually kind of like the Di2 system now that the E13 cassette is in a landfill somewhere.

SteveSSS .. your going to love the new cassette. (y)

mikecol

Mar 16, 2019
Treasure Island, FL USA
My best setup is XT 11-46 with HG driver and 38T drive. Real smooth and gearing about right for me. Had to do some adjusting of the chain guide.

Other backup setup is SRAM XG-1150 10-42 with XD driver and 34T drive.

Might be able to get by with 36T drive on both setups.

Both are much much better than junked E13 cassette.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles