Cassette material and SRAM VS Shimano

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My Focus Jam2 came with some very heavy Novatec hubs. One thing that makes this hub heavy but well suited to an ebike is the steel cassette driver. It's a shimano style and even with a non-bike mountain bike the aluminum cassettes have a tendency to gouge (even if the cassette is torqued properly). My experience after several thousand miles of riding is that the steel cassette driver shows zero wear. Due to weight and the fact that someone gave me set of carbon fiber wheels (27.5/29) I've been running a shimano style aluminum cassette. And I see a lot of gouging with that. It's an Exile+ Speedtuned boost wheel and there isn't a steel cassette option.

I've been running an XT cassette since that has two carriers that help to distribute the loads better on the first 6 gears but there's still lot of gouging, especially on the non-carrier supported gears. The SRAM design looks to be a better way to transmit loads to the wheel since it's a screw on design. Anyone have an opinion on these two styles of cassette and which SRAM cassette would work with my XT 11 speed shifter. There is an XD cassette available for these wheels. I know there might be better wheels out there for ebikes at a much higher cost but right now I'm not looking to speed thousands on an upgrade. Thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
All 11 speed sram cassettes share the exact same sprocket spacing as shimano 11 speed so any 11 speed mech (so long as paired with the correct shifter) will be compatible.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
All 11 speed sram cassettes share the exact same sprocket spacing as shimano 11 speed so any 11 speed mech (so long as paired with the correct shifter) will be compatible.

Thanks gary, I've been wanting to try my giant 27.5's in my daughters scott 940 but wasn't sure if my shimano cassette was compatible with her sram derailleur.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles