carrying second battery

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
has anyone experimented with attaching a second battery to the downtube? Seems to me it would fit there, though holding it securely might be a challenge. Duct tape?! closed cell foam between the two and tight velcro strapping would probably work though. Be nicer than in a backpack.....

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hmmm sounds like a fairly daft idea that does! It's a long battery and if you had a crash I reckon it would end in tears expensive ones!

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
If I get a second battery it will be going in a backpack, something like an Osprey Talon 44 which is long enough without being massively bulky. It helps i'm tall and heavy so the extra weight isn't really an issue. Pity Specialized didn't make the battery hinged so you could fold it in half - that would fit in lots of regular sized packs

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Just roll the battery in a padded tent bag and wear it across the top of the bag like carrying a sleeping bag

Feb 5, 2019
Wales
If I get a second battery it will be going in a backpack, something like an Osprey Talon 44 which is long enough without being massively bulky. It helps i'm tall and heavy so the extra weight isn't really an issue. Pity Specialized didn't make the battery hinged so you could fold it in half - that would fit in lots of regular sized packs

Was talking to the guy who’s running Trail Watts booster systems about putting spare batteries in backpacks... even with bags designed to carry them, they are potentially lethal due to the big mass being pressed directly on the back. What companies like Evoc don’t tell you is that there have been fatalities and paralysis even with their back protector bags.

If you have bought a spare battery already, then I suggest you leave it in the car and swap it when your first one is running out.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Was talking to the guy who’s running Trail Watts booster systems about putting spare batteries in backpacks... even with bags designed to carry them, they are potentially lethal due to the big mass being pressed directly on the back. What companies like Evoc don’t tell you is that there have been fatalities and paralysis even with their back protector bags.

If you have bought a spare battery already, then I suggest you leave it in the car and swap it when your first one is running out.
I would only carry it if I was going long distance, so there would be no "going back to the car" option. As for death and paralysis, I'll take my chances, and I'd be careful of anyone who sells booster systems using vague anecdotes..

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
I would reconsider carry something like a large battery on your back, there are many incidents that have happend with carry bulky objects, i know some one who broke there back carrying a shock pump.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I’ve got a Focus so it’s covered, if not I’d look to engineer something the same secured to the bottle mount, I wouldn’t have a battery on my back.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
What companies like Evoc don’t tell you is that there have been fatalities and paralysis even with their back protector bags.
Your source?
There have been fatalities with airbags. With helmets. With protectors. With ABS. With Crumple zones. With every protection imaginable. Those being exceptions means protection is doing its job.

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
I'm not actually suggesting I duct tape it on, but it seems to me it's not far off fitting. Ok, not for mega downhills, but it seems to me that one could engineer a metal clip that bolted to the bottle mounts, and another at the top of the tube (or even make an enclosed tube for it to slide into to protect it some more). Possibly slightly reduced clearance at the bottom bracket, which is of some concern, but for expeditionary cycling long distances rather than bonkers trails, it still might have some merits.....
IMG_0615.JPG

Front wheel clears it on full compression.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I'm not actually suggesting I duct tape it on, but it seems to me it's not far off fitting. Ok, not for mega downhills, but it seems to me that one could engineer a metal clip that bolted to the bottle mounts, and another at the top of the tube (or even make an enclosed tube for it to slide into to protect it some more). Possibly slightly reduced clearance at the bottom bracket, which is of some concern, but for expeditionary cycling long distances rather than bonkers trails, it still might have some merits.....
View attachment 12968

Why don't you just buy the 700wh battery?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
ah but this way I can have 1200Wh.....

Don't you mean 1000wh as the batteries are 500wh? However you attatch the extra battery on that down tube it will look daft, I am not a fan of the bottle cage range extenders but one of those would look better than strapping a long battery onto the frame!

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
700Wh + 500Wh = 1200Wh.Would not be doing it for svelte looks, would be doing it to allow me to do long expedition-style trips across mountain ranges.....

Reactions: jxj

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
I think there is a Emtb Tour group in New Zealand who make a neoprene sleeve that attaches with velcro to the down tube. Saw it on Facebook but can't find it now. Looked like a great product, just wondered though if the wheel might catch when forks fully compressed. Wouldn't use it in a bike park ;) but would be ace for a marathon day out.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Your source?
There have been fatalities with airbags. With helmets. With protectors. With ABS. With Crumple zones. With every protection imaginable. Those being exceptions means protection is doing its job.
Well said Jerry. If I want to do an 70-80k ride I'll need to take a spare battery, and as I'll be wearing a pack anyway (sleeping bag etc) putting it in is no big deal. Also at 120kg the extra weight isn't going to affect my centre of gravity and the bike's handling too much. No-one is being forced to do this, so each to their own.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
View attachment 12968

I’d just rip that off or destroy it with rocks in the Peak District, complete non starter for me.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The proper back packs designed to carry a battery, are top bits of kit and I have no worries using mine. The battery is held totally secure, and the back protector is located correctly in relation to your back and the battery. Of course this doesn’t really help with the Specialized as the battery is so long.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles