Carrying a spare battery tip.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
My neck is shot with multiple worn our cervical issues. Already had c34 done. I wear zero on my shoulders now and descend with a soft collar that really help delay the inevitable. Here's what I've found since ditching my backpack/ hydration pack ....night and day the difference in the ability to balance by spine and have max balance on anything up or down. I would only carry a spare batt on a rear rack.which to date I don't see an appropriate product for my meta power... I tailor my ride to the reality of one battery.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Great reply thanks and thanks for the kind thoughts.

I don’t know about the mechanism of this particular crash. My riding friends weren’t close enough to give me any detail. I would say I was travelling at about 15 mph.

I know I bounced off the top of head, I was wearing a full face which was nearly new and that has done great job of protecting my head it has a nice dent right on the top of the head. I 360‘d end over end a couple of times. The rib fractures are all at the rear of my rib cage in line with where the battery was. The vertebra fractured is T4.

More than that it is difficult for me to be able to give the exact reasons for the injuries.

I won’t be carrying a battery on my back on technical trails anymore. But everyone else has to make their own informed decision.

I could have had a pack with an integrated back protector in addition to the POC that would have been better still. The POC has great coverage of the back I wear it with the chest plate as well. They are comfortable to wear and don’t move around.

it was still perfectly in place when the ambulance staff removed it and between the batteries and the injuries so it is my view that the fact it isn’t integral didn’t contribute to the injuries but as I know nothing about the mechanism of trauma in this sort of case I have no idea if my view is totally wrong or not.

cheers all

Ian
Hey @staffiedrone

How's the recovery coming along?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
coolcmsc wrote:
"If you’re up for it, your doctor could help with the cause of the T4 # by reviewing the type of fracture. Maybe it’s a ‘crush/compression’ fracture which would go with the dent on the helmet."

Back in 2013 (11:30 on Sunday September 13th to be precise) that is exactly what happened to me.

Although in my case it was T's 5, 6 and 7...

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
coolcmsc wrote:
"Maybe it’s a ‘crush/compression’ fracture which would go with the dent on the helmet."

Back in 2013 (11:30 on Sunday September 13th to be precise) that is exactly what happened to me.

Although in my case it was T's 5, 6 and 7...
All well since I’m hoping... ?
For a different reason, I have a surgically fused C5/6 and, despite some mild permanent changes, I’m completely fine and enjoying my riding, bikes and horses (and I always buy a new helmet if it gets a bash which is thankfully rare).

staffiedrone

Dec 3, 2020
Stafford
thanks very much for asking.

I am improving slowly. I can now walk two miles which doesn’t sound much but considering I had difficulty walking from one end of the hospital ward to the other it is progress. My breathing has finally started to improve my SATS were constantly 89-91 % and I was out of breath after very little exertion. My lung contusions must be healing because my SATS are now around 94% and I don’t get out of breath as easily.

Pain is still there - mainly from the flail chest. But it is bearable and I am off all the opioid painkillers. I just take paracetamol occasionally when I need to. I usually sleep through all night which is great.

Recovery does seem to be frustratingly slow but I am recovering. I am thankful there was no damage to my spinal cord - I regard myself as very lucky.

I have no idea when I will be able to get on a bike again. I am currently building up a gravel bike but I can only work on it for about an hour before needing to rest.

cheers

Ian

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I am improving slowly. I can now walk two miles which doesn’t sound much…. I am currently building up a gravel bike…..

Ian
To me, this is amazing progress! The trauma you’ve suffered is considerable and, whilst it must seem an age to you, your accident was recent and you’re really moving on.
Well done you and those supporting you.
So generous of you to share your journey. I can’t remember what I’ve said about myself here, but I’m well qualified to judge how well you’re doing, both professionally and personally.
Your story is going to be an inspiration to others who, in the future, may need to hear it.
Crack on, build that bike, take your time: we all look forward to hearing about the first ride ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles