Carrying a spare battery tip.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
I carry mine (504WH Shimano) in a narrow and heavily padded backpack (Old Camelbak Chaos) that sits on top of a firmly-filled waist pack.

20210413_122518_HDR.jpg

As comfortable as a thing that's very comfortable from Mrs Comfortable's shop of comfortable things...

Last edited:

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Personally I wouldn't carry a battery in a pack that doesn't have a proper back protector. So I'll stick with my EVOC eRide.

Gordon
I've had a look at the Evoc. The advantage of my method is that, apart from the backpack being massively aero-padded, the weight is also supported across the waist from it's position on top of the waist-pack and the shoulder bag is narrow enough to carry the battery in an upright position.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I've had a look at the Evoc. The advantage of my method is that, apart from the backpack being massively aero-padded, the weight is also supported across the waist from it's position on top of the waist-pack and the shoulder bag is narrow enough to carry the battery in an upright position.

The Evoc has a padded battery carrier (keeps the battery upright and centered) and a waist strap (weight on hips not shoulders). So I don't see the difference except I don't need to wear two bags. And your bag offers no proper spinal protection in the event of a crash. I want D30 between a battery and my spine.

Gordon

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
We got 2 EVOC E-Rides in different colours. They don’t come cheap but after buying 2 batteries for £650 each it made sense.

I did a great deal of research on it before buying and to me there was no other option.

Most of the reviews mentioned it clings to your back like a limpet and there is no movement or anything rocking about.

It becomes part of you and you are not aware you are carrying a heavy battery.

It is quite possible that at some point I will fall off backwards on a crazy climb and that battery will slam into my spine. I think I’m doing the right thing buying this ruck sack, it looks built for purpose.

41D64146-9A1A-4963-B64E-B4376C3C16E5.jpeg
1CC6B604-12A7-408A-BAAA-BC2EE79F508F.jpeg
7D2A626D-C7A2-4B20-9C46-76DA781C5C85.jpeg

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Hmm. I think maybe you have a point but... there's no water bladder...

Edit: Just seen this. Also Rob's done one of his tech info YT vids about it. Sold. I'm all over Wiggle for one right now.

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hmm. I think maybe you have a point but... there's no water bladder...

Edit: Just seen this. Sold. I'm all over Wiggle for one right now.

You may be right about the bladder. The hanger is in the pack but I can't remember if it was actually supplied with a bladder or if I have just used one of the ones I had already. Definitely a cost issue to consider.

Gordon

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I've just taken delivery of my Evoc fr trail e-ride today and looking forward to trying it out .
£152 on Amazon so a little cheaper than rrp

It didn't come with a bladder but I'll try using the one from my Camelback first before ordering the Evoc one

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Another reason to get the Evoc (as far as I can tell at the mo') is it's shape. It's wide and relatively flat, giving a very stable feel compared to it's current rivals (for instance the Thule) which are shaped more like the traditional sort of pack, which have a narrower back contact area and project out more.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Thanks for starting this thread [mention]Mike D. [/mention]

I was thinking of the same problem, but I found a diff solution: a Molle hydration pack with modular attachments. Now I can add pouches for spare battery, tools, 2-way radio, dry food and of course wet beverages, ...
All this can be safely stored while protecting my back. Looks a little military, but I don’t intend to carry Sig MPX on the trails.

IMG_7616.jpg

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
A friend used to carry a heavy lock in a backpack riding motorcycles. He fell off and the lock broke his back. He's now in a wheelchair for life.

I would NEVER carry anything solid on my back. Get a rack for the bike and put the battery there.

Alan

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
The Evoc has an internal back protector for avoiding this exact problem...

Also... there's a good reason why mountain bikers don't attach bits and pieces like batteries and water bottles to the bike.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Fair enough. I was just pointing out my thoughts.

Personally, I don't carry a spare battery anyway and my tail pack just has tools, a lock and some food bars in. So they can bounce around and not get damaged.

Alan

staffiedrone

Dec 3, 2020
Stafford
A big OTB for me last Saturday with a Bosch 500 wh battery in my pack. It had a bladder of water between it and my back and I also wore a new POC back protector. The battery has still caused six rib fractures a bruised lung and a fractured vertebra I am lying in a hospital bed now waiting for a back brace to enable me to walk. Luckily no spinal cord damage. If I hadn’t had the POC back protector on I dread to think what the injuries would have been.

I won‘t be carrying a spare battery in my back pack again except perhaps for the easiest XC rides where there is a very small chance of me going over the bars. I will look for alternatives.

Be careful out there.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
A big OTB for me last Saturday with a Bosch 500 wh battery in my pack. It had a bladder of water between it and my back and I also wore a new POC back protector. The battery has still caused six rib fractures a bruised lung and a fractured vertebra I am lying in a hospital bed now waiting for a back brace to enable me to walk. Luckily no spinal cord damage. If I hadn’t had the POC back protector on I dread to think what the injuries would have been.

I won‘t be carrying a spare battery in my back pack again except perhaps for the easiest XC rides where there is a very small chance of me going over the bars. I will look for alternatives.

Be careful out there.
Omg, that's bad news, hope you get mobile again soon. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Hi! I’m retired, but was a medic involved in trauma care. I’ve had my share of falls too with fractures (lots of ribs twice off MTB, clavicle in many pieces off MTB, pelvis falling off horse) and had a career seeing everything really.
I’m going to say a few things to explain why I believe that, for me, using the Evoc FR e-ride pack to carry my battery is a reasonable decision.
And concerning the report above, I’m so sorry to hear of the injury — terrible — and I’m relieved there’s no spinal injury. But, as I know from personal experience, you’ll be in a lot of pain just now. Feel for you.
I’m wondering what you hit as you slowed down. I’d also be interested in your thoughts about whether the POC not being integral to your back pack played a role in your mechanism of injury.
Understanding the exact cause of major injuries is helped by understanding the exact mechanism of injury. This is at the heart of designing products that reduce damage. Getting the car seat belt right was not straightforward — it had to reduce more injuries than it caused, ditto air bags.
Evoc continue to do good business having got into the back pack with back protector market a long time ago — from about the same time POC became well known for back protection.
That has exposed Evoc to the potential for criticism, litigation and financial risk from those incurring severe injuries whilst wearing their packs for a long time in countries where litigious behaviour is rife.
Evoc are still here and having done a thorough search, I can’t find evidence of them making products that cause spinal, rib or organ damage (spleen, lung, heart, kidneys and liver main contenders).
I’m going to guess they have done a lot of research and the lack of negative info on a Google search suggests their research has been helpful to their design process. A guess, obviously. So, not proof, hence my comment encouraging others to search too.
The Evoc FR e-Ride has been sold now for about three years. I have no idea how many of the ones sold are used to carry batteries, but you can buy the same bag without the extra battery compartment for quite a lot less.
So, I recon this is a complicated topic and just wanted to say that I’m happy with the Evoc, but am unable to convince myself anything else is a wise way of carrying a battery on yer back ?

staffiedrone

Dec 3, 2020
Stafford
Great reply thanks and thanks for the kind thoughts.

I don’t know about the mechanism of this particular crash. My riding friends weren’t close enough to give me any detail. I would say I was travelling at about 15 mph.

I know I bounced off the top of head, I was wearing a full face which was nearly new and that has done great job of protecting my head it has a nice dent right on the top of the head. I 360‘d end over end a couple of times. The rib fractures are all at the rear of my rib cage in line with where the battery was. The vertebra fractured is T4.

More than that it is difficult for me to be able to give the exact reasons for the injuries.

I won’t be carrying a battery on my back on technical trails anymore. But everyone else has to make their own informed decision.

I could have had a pack with an integrated back protector in addition to the POC that would have been better still. The POC has great coverage of the back I wear it with the chest plate as well. They are comfortable to wear and don’t move around.

it was still perfectly in place when the ambulance staff removed it and between the batteries and the injuries so it is my view that the fact it isn’t integral didn’t contribute to the injuries but as I know nothing about the mechanism of trauma in this sort of case I have no idea if my view is totally wrong or not.

cheers all

Ian
Hi! I’m retired, but was a medic involved in trauma care. I’ve had my share of falls too with fractures (lots of ribs twice off MTB, clavicle in many pieces off MTB, pelvis falling off horse) and had a career seeing everything really.
I’m going to say a few things to explain why I believe that, for me, using the Evoc FR e-ride pack to carry my battery is a reasonable decision.
And concerning the report above, I’m so sorry to hear of the injury — terrible — and I’m relieved there’s no spinal injury. But, as I know from personal experience, you’ll be in a lot of pain just now. Feel for you.
I’m wondering what you hit as you slowed down. I’d also be interested in your thoughts about whether the POC not being integral to your back pack played a role in your mechanism of injury.
Understanding the exact cause of major injuries is helped by understanding the exact mechanism of injury. This is at the heart of designing products that reduce damage. Getting the car seat belt right was not straightforward — it had to reduce more injuries than it caused, ditto air bags.
Evoc continue to do good business having got into the back pack with back protector market a long time ago — from about the same time POC became well known for back protection.
That has exposed Evoc to the potential for criticism, litigation and financial risk from those incurring severe injuries whilst wearing their packs for a long time in countries where litigious behaviour is rife.
Evoc are still here and having done a thorough search, I can’t find evidence of them making products that cause spinal, rib or organ damage (spleen, lung, heart, kidneys and liver main contenders).
I’m going to guess they have done a lot of research and the lack of negative info on a Google search suggests their research has been helpful to their design process. A guess, obviously. So, not proof, hence my comment encouraging others to search too.
The Evoc FR e-Ride has been sold now for about three years. I have no idea how many of the ones sold are used to carry batteries, but you can buy the same bag without the extra battery compartment for quite a lot less.
So, I recon this is a complicated topic and just wanted to say that I’m happy with the Evoc, but am unable to convince myself anything else is a wise way of carrying a battery on yer back ?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Sounds horrible ?

Thanks for courageously sharing those details. Seriously, I’m sure we all recognise it’s not that easy to think about an accident this soon.

The seat-post is certainly a conundrum. New to me, anyway, in this kind of crash.

The posterior rib fractures with lung contusion do sound like the battery don’t they?

The T4 fracture could be many things. That hit on your head can transmit down to T4, hard to believe as that sounds, creating a crush/compression fracture. Also, and as a different possibility, a big end over end can hyperflex/extended the spine at T4 and the back protector isn’t that good at protecting against that. Having said that, the battery fixed in the pack would tend to prevent flexion/extension, so, less likely that then?

But T4’s also right in the middle of the battery (I realise you know that) and I can see why you think it’s the culprit, especially with the posterior rib #’s and the lung contusion.

If you’re up for it, your doctor could help with the cause of the T4 # by reviewing the type of fracture. Maybe it’s a ‘crush/compression’ fracture which would go with the dent on the helmet. If it’s involving the laminae and/or one of the spinal processes, the battery might be more likely the cause.

And, just maybe, because one explanation for a thing is neat and tidy, perhaps you had all the bad luck wrapped up into one single event in which during your end-over-end (bike and person) you landed perfectly badly on your back onto the seat post with that battery between the post and your ribs, spine and lungs, cracking you and the post by means of the battery....

Anyway, glad to hear you’re already planning how you’re going to setup for your next e-bike ride, big props to you mate ????????

Tzo

Mar 25, 2021
Greece
EVOC 20L e-ride!! Carrying a 630W Haibike battery 4.5 kilos...EXTREMELY PLEASED!!! And I am difficult to please :))

staffiedrone

Dec 3, 2020
Stafford
Sounds horrible ?

Thanks for courageously sharing those details. Seriously, I’m sure we all recognise it’s not that easy to think about an accident this soon.

The seat-post is certainly a conundrum. New to me, anyway, in this kind of crash.

The posterior rib fractures with lung contusion do sound like the battery don’t they?

The T4 fracture could be many things. That hit on your head can transmit down to T4, hard to believe as that sounds, creating a crush/compression fracture. Also, and as a different possibility, a big end over end can hyperflex/extended the spine at T4 and the back protector isn’t that good at protecting against that. Having said that, the battery fixed in the pack would tend to prevent flexion/extension, so, less likely that then?

But T4’s also right in the middle of the battery (I realise you know that) and I can see why you think it’s the culprit, especially with the posterior rib #’s and the lung contusion.

If you’re up for it, your doctor could help with the cause of the T4 # by reviewing the type of fracture. Maybe it’s a ‘crush/compression’ fracture which would go with the dent on the helmet. If it’s involving the laminae and/or one of the spinal processes, the battery might be more likely the cause.

And, just maybe, because one explanation for a thing is neat and tidy, perhaps you had all the bad luck wrapped up into one single event in which during your end-over-end (bike and person) you landed perfectly badly on your back onto the seat post with that battery between the post and your ribs, spine and lungs, cracking you and the post by means of the battery....

Anyway, glad to hear you’re already planning how you’re going to setup for your next e-bike ride, big props to you mate ????????
Thanks very much it is a compression fracture of T4

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
@staffiedrone sorry to hear about your accident. Sending you some good karma and hope you recover well. It sounds like an enormous off.

The simple reality is that no protection/armour/helmet can prevent any type of injury. All we can do is minimise the risk to where our personal limits are. After a couple of sets of broken ribs, both on green trails and both going slow, I like to wear some chest and back protection. But in summer it gets so hot that anything significant will give me heat stroke. So I have to take more risk. You can wear a suit of armour and motoGP levels of protection and still get hurt. This is a risky sport.

I rarely carry anything on my back. Generally it's too damn hot. But last month I rode a 46km wilderness track on my eZesty. Had to carry a spare battery, water and more spares than I normally would. That meant a pack. So I chose the best option available. A pack with a D30 integrated protector that meets enduro specs. But that doesn't mean I became invincible. I reduced my risk the best I could and carried on.

While the story above is terrible and we can speculate whether the battery contributed to the injury, I doubt anyone would deny that it's likely the protector may have prevented something much, much worse.

Get well soon.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles