Carbon wheelset on an e-bike???

Swogg

Jun 17, 2019
Utah
I have the 2019 Levo Comp, as you know it comes with some pretty low end wheelset. I want to upgrade the wheelset and am considering carbon rims, specifically the we are one Agent wheelset.
My question is, are a carbon wheelset worth the cost for an e-bike? Would i gain much of the benefits of carbon, or would a good quality aluminum set be almost just as good?
I'm considering stans Sentry mk3.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
The weight difference between a good/strong carbon wheelset and aluminum isn't that huge. You can of course, buy a feather weight carbon set, but I wouldn't recommend it on a Levo. Lateral stiffness and radial stiffness is higher with carbon, but they can also ride harsher because of it. More people are preferring the compliance of AL rims. I used to be an all carbon guy, but now I'm riding al except on my road bikes. I don't think it's worth the upcharge. Sexy looking though....

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I upgraded to carbon wheels and was very impressed! The way I can best explain it is - the bike just feels so much tighter and wants to go faster on the carbon rims. I put it down to the lateral stiffness and not so much the weight savings. On rough trails, the bike is accurate and predictable where alloys seemed to wander or feel vague.

I went with Hand-built carbon AM733 asymmetric 27.5 mtb Enduro 650B wheels tubeless compatible after a few mates raved about their wheelsets. They have many different rims to choose from, the AM733 is their strongest/stiffest rim, regarded as the "e-bike" option with an added layer of carbon fiber Huge cost savings compared other wheel makers with little to no difference in quality in my opinion. They're all made-to-order- you choose your hub, spokes, nipples, graphics and can have the front build differently to the back. Look sick too ;)

20190426_150609.jpg

Swogg

Jun 17, 2019
Utah
I upgraded to carbon wheels and was very impressed! The way I can best explain it is - the bike just feels so much tighter and wants to go faster on the carbon rims. I put it down to the lateral stiffness and not so much the weight savings. On rough trails, the bike is accurate and predictable where alloys seemed to wander or feel vague.

I went with Hand-built carbon AM733 asymmetric 27.5 mtb Enduro 650B wheels tubeless compatible after a few mates raved about their wheelsets. They have many different rims to choose from, the AM733 is their strongest/stiffest rim, regarded as the "e-bike" option with an added layer of carbon fiber Huge cost savings compared other wheel makers with little to no difference in quality in my opinion. They're all made-to-order- you choose your hub, spokes, nipples, graphics and can have the front build differently to the back. Look sick too ;)

View attachment 15020
Thanks, i looked at the website some, it is great pricing, do you know if they are Chinese made carbon? We are one is Canadian made with a lifetime warranty.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

View attachment 15020

Impressive wheel ordering website!

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Did you get the recons, or the recon pros?
Do you know the difference?
Just the Recons, the Pro's were out of my budget so didn't give them much consideration.

From the website:
Our Recon Pro rims use a completely new mold design and new manufacturing process that allows the rims to come out of the mold as a finished product (no sanding & painting needed). The layers of carbon are not disturbed post-production which results in a stronger rim with a more scratch resistant finish. We use a new resin system with a lengthened fatigue life and superior consistency. The recon pro rims are more durable and made in new dust-free production line.

All of these improvements coupled with an updated asymmetric profile shape has allowed us to extend our standard warranty on these rims to 5 full years or lifetime warranty!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles