Carbon rims on a 2019 Levo

Swogg

Jun 17, 2019
Utah
I have the 2019 Levo Comp, as you know it comes with some pretty low end wheelset. I want to upgrade the wheelset and am considering carbon rims, specifically the we are one Agent wheelset.
My question is, are a carbon wheelset worth the cost for an e-bike? Would i gain much of the benefits of carbon, or would a good quality aluminum set be almost just as good?
I'm considering stans Sentry mk3.

Ted

Apr 23, 2019
California
If you are asking for opinions I will toss one out.
I would ride the stock wheels until they break then consider a strong alu or carbon set. Carbon wheels are expensive and you might not notice much difference. BTW, I run carbon wheels.
I would spend my upgrade money on suspension.
That's just me though.

deanphoto

Dec 14, 2018
UK
I have run a set of Roval carbon rims on the levo, the difference was noticeable (mainly in a straight line) but they cracked when a stone flew up from the front wheel. I'm now running Santa Cruz Reserve rims and the difference between these and the rovals is vast - I've also had no issues. We were riding my Carbon comp back to back with a stock carbon comp yesterday and the difference in cornering and acceleration was extreme.

If you're buying carbon wheels, be sure to buy a pair with a no-quibble lifetime warranty.

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
I have run a set of Roval carbon rims on the levo, the difference was noticeable (mainly in a straight line) but they cracked when a stone flew up from the front wheel. I'm now running Santa Cruz Reserve rims and the difference between these and the rovals is vast - I've also had no issues. We were riding my Carbon comp back to back with a stock carbon comp yesterday and the difference in cornering and acceleration was extreme.

If you're buying carbon wheels, be sure to buy a pair with a no-quibble lifetime warranty.

What is the weight difference between carbon wheels and the stock aluminum ones?

deanphoto

Dec 14, 2018
UK
What is the weight difference between carbon wheels and the stock aluminum ones?

Hard to say as I'm running Cushcore, they feel only a fraction lighter in hand but much more responsive on the trail. The carbon Reserves aren't a light wheelset, particularly on the Chris King hubs.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

1500g Vs 2250g

Changed wheels, tyres and to tubeless and lost nearly 1.5kg. transformed the bike.

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
Hard to say as I'm running Cushcore, they feel only a fraction lighter in hand but much more responsive on the trail. The carbon Reserves aren't a light wheelset, particularly on the Chris King hubs.
How do you like the Cushcore on the e bike, thinking of getting it.

deanphoto

Dec 14, 2018
UK
How do you like the Cushcore on the e bike, thinking of getting it.

At first I was undecided as it can make the bike feel a little numb on some trails. However, the upside is being able to run lower pressures to increase grip in corners and the having that extra squish really help when the speeds ramp up and the terrain gets a little wilder. You won’t believe how hard you can corner with Cushcore. I’ll have Cushcore in every bike from now on.

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
How u
How u liking those 735 e's? I had a pair of 730 s on my Canfield and they were the best wheels I ever rode, but I just pulled the trigger on a set of Reynolds tr 367e's for my Kenevo after destroying my rear wheel a couple days ago. Figured I'd give that company a try since it's half the price and still made in the US. Guess I'll know soon enough!
Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, I liked the stock wheels on the 2019 kenevo expert. Didn't feel like they wandered a whole lot, but given the fact that riding a 50lb bike was, in itself, something that was new, I imagine I might feel as big a difference hopping on the Reynolds as I did going from the aluminum wheels on the Canfield to the enves.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles