Carbon Bars

rippa1

Oct 5, 2018
Melbourne
hi everyone ... has anyone fitted carbon bars to there E160 900e ??
if so what brand and what to do with the cable from the d12 shifters??
one more can u drill into Carbon without stressing the bar ??

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Worst thing you can fit to a mountain bike, in my opinion. Seen so many snap resulting in pretty nasty facial injuries. Not the bars fault but usually down to incorrect torque settings when people tighten stem, levers etc. You also need check them out properly after a crash as they can crack from the inside. With the weight of an e bike is it really worth the risk? Not in my opinion but each to their own..PS wear a gum shield.

D

Deleted member 1478

Carbon bars can make for a more comfy ride and save a few grams? I like mine on the racing hardtail. I agree it is vital not to overtorque anything.

However, seems a bit unnecessary on the big squisher ebike? I wouldn’t be drilling them.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I fitted a Spank Vibrocore, thought about the renthal carbon but for the same reason other have said I went for the Spank. Seems to dampen much of the trail bumps..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I absolutely would NOT drill into a carbon bar, or anything carbon for that matter. The drill will cut through the carbon fibres and seriously compromise the strength.

Anyone considering carbon components should pay special attention to the torques settings on the bolts. I would strongly recommend the use of assembly paste like Finish Line Fibre Grip. It is a high friction paste/gel that allows same grip for less clamping force or more grip for the same.

Finish Line Fiber Grip Assembly Gel | Chain Reaction Cycles

PS: I also use it on my dropper post to reduce the clamping force. Those posts are full of very fine tolerance components and the last thing the post needs is clamping too tightly.

rippa1

Oct 5, 2018
Melbourne
Worst thing you can fit to a mountain bike, in my opinion. Seen so many snap resulting in pretty nasty facial injuries. Not the bars fault but usually down to incorrect torque settings when people tighten stem, levers etc. You also need check them out properly after a crash as they can crack from the inside. With the weight of an e bike is it really worth the risk? Not in my opinion but each to their own..PS wear a gum shield.
point taken .... don't wanna be a smart arse but my mate that bought
specialized turbo levo s works i better tell him its no good cause its full carbon ?? everyones
opinions are different

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
point taken .... don't wanna be a smart arse but my mate that bought specialized turbo levo s works i better tell him its no good cause its full carbon ?? everyones opinions are different
The opinion you got above from @Rallysaloon was about the disadvantages of a carbon bars (which I agree with by the way); it was nothing to do with carbon frames. That is a completely different question to which you would probably get a different answer. I would happily ride a carbon framed bike, but there are disadvantages to a carbon bar for trail riding on an ebike, and I personally would say they outweigh the advantages for most recreational riders. YMMV.

Last edited:

rippa1

Oct 5, 2018
Melbourne
The opinion you got above was about the disadvantages of a carbon bars (which I agree with by the way); it was nothing to do with carbon frames. That is a completely different question to which you would probably get a different answer. I would happily ride a carbon framed bike, but there are disadvantages to a carbon bar for trail riding and I personally would say they outweigh the advantages. YMMV.

his whole bike is carbon ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles