Canyon spectral on play in shock carrier

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
After taking bike to shimano service centre motor problem they said I had play in rear bearings after changing them there’s still play it’s where the rear shock carrier attaches to pivot it’s just a barrel on a thread no bearing anyone else noticed this I think it’s not an issue just part of design slightly lift bike from end of top tube and what shock carrier is yours the same

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
After taking bike to shimano service centre motor problem they said I had play in rear bearings after changing them there’s still play it’s where the rear shock carrier attaches to pivot it’s just a barrel on a thread no bearing anyone else noticed this I think it’s not an issue just part of design slightly lift bike from end of top tube and what shock carrier is yours the same
What model year are you talking about? Also a photo pointing at what you are talking about may help? ?

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
What model year are you talking about? Also a photo pointing at what you are talking about may help? ?
Yeh it’s the spectral on Al 6.0 2019 I’ve arrowed on exploded diagram it’s the small bolts that sit under bearing

4F73DEB0-8EB4-4B0A-9ACF-DA1E00C4D98E.jpeg

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Just in case anyone is still having issues with this on the Mk1 Spectral:ON, I've had this issue and already tried replacing it with an 'uprated' version of the original nylon Igus bushing. Unfortunately a small amount of play remained, and has progressively got worse over the last 6 months or so (unsurprisingly).

In an effort to 'fix' this more permanently, I've managed to source some KS Permaglide P11 bronze-coated-steel "flange liner" bushings from Bearings R Us in a similar size (the same but 2mm longer so might poke out the back of the shock fork by a couple of mm), and hopefully they will fit a bit more snugly and last a bit longer than the Igus bushings. More importantly, they're only £2.42 each so even if they last 6 months I can live with that. I might also try getting some new pins from Canyon just to eliminate wear on the pins as a factor, and if that doesn't work will see if I can get some slightly oversized pins machined locally to try and take up the slop.

Link to the KS Permaglide bushings here if anyone's also feeling experimental: PAF10120P11 PMG Flange liner 10x12x12mm

I'll update with my findings once I have them!

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
I’ve just bought 4 just file 2 mm off if you don’t want them protruding grease well hopefully problem solved not sure what damage a slight bit of play will cause but would be nice with none thanks for link

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
I don't think the play will do any damage as such - unless they wear to the point where the bushing fails, then it'll trash the shock mounting fork as the pins/bolts are steel and everything else is an aluminium alloy of some type or another. It's more of an annoyance than anything, as it rattles and stops the rear end feeling smooth over small bumps.

All that said, I'm glad I have the old model with a bushing and not the new one with a roller bearing - I'm not sure what the designers at Canyon are smoking but someone needs to explain to them the difference between static and dynamic loads on bearings!

Tim.scrap

Jun 10, 2019
Germany
Also changed the bushings 2 times in 5.000km. Once because i pressed them bad in and they got fast damaged. In that case the bold had contact with Aluminium of the frame. Good thing, nothing happens just bolds and and Alu was visually slight abrased, but with new bushings all fine.

And you will clearly hear metal to metal (Its squeaky) so clear signal if they would be totally off.
I ordered Igus (Q2FM-1012-10) totally fine with them. And if you order few more they are cheap. Paid for 10pcs 24€ in germany.

So if you use your bike all year, best is to change them when you also service the bearings with grease. No big deal.

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Just to update, the bronze bushings arrived - absolutely beautiful fit, just snug, no play whatsoever (and seem to be a lot tougher than the plastic ones). Despite being 2mm longer, they also barely poke out of the back of the shock fork and don't get close to fouling anything.

Hopefully they'll last a bit longer - reading the manufacturer's details (and handling them in person) they should be run dry - without grease - because if any dirt gets in the grease it'll turn into a grinding paste and knacker everything in short order.

Hopefully this helps someone else who's got the dreaded back end knock!

MVIMG_20200717_125712.jpg

MVIMG_20200717_125704.jpg

MVIMG_20200717_125646.jpg

MVIMG_20200717_125641.jpg

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
Beautiful mine are on the way but motor issues are doing my head in 2 hrs riding then loads of error codes just about had enough of it

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Beautiful mine are on the way but motor issues are doing my head in 2 hrs riding then loads of error codes just about had enough of it
Sounds daft, but have you had the cover off on the left hand side of the motor and checked that all the cables are plugged in right and not got dirt in the connectors? And made sure the magnet on the rear wheel is lining up with the speed sensor

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
Yes mate I’ve literally tried everything cleaned them ports loads electric grease around them to stop dust washer in behind speed sensor to close gap it went to shimano service centre 2 weeks ago got back one day was good for all day 2 batteries then yesterday 2 hrs in happens again I’m sure it’s an overheating issue I’m pushing for new motor

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Yes mate I’ve literally tried everything cleaned them ports loads electric grease around them to stop dust washer in behind speed sensor to close gap it went to shimano service centre 2 weeks ago got back one day was good for all day 2 batteries then yesterday 2 hrs in happens again I’m sure it’s an overheating issue I’m pushing for new motor
Fingers crossed they sort it for you, these are great bikes but seem to have the odd reliability issue :(

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Just in case anyone is still having issues with this on the Mk1 Spectral:ON, I've had this issue and already tried replacing it with an 'uprated' version of the original nylon Igus bushing. Unfortunately a small amount of play remained, and has progressively got worse over the last 6 months or so (unsurprisingly).

In an effort to 'fix' this more permanently, I've managed to source some KS Permaglide P11 bronze-coated-steel "flange liner" bushings from Bearings R Us in a similar size (the same but 2mm longer so might poke out the back of the shock fork by a couple of mm), and hopefully they will fit a bit more snugly and last a bit longer than the Igus bushings. More importantly, they're only £2.42 each so even if they last 6 months I can live with that. I might also try getting some new pins from Canyon just to eliminate wear on the pins as a factor, and if that doesn't work will see if I can get some slightly oversized pins machined locally to try and take up the slop.

Link to the KS Permaglide bushings here if anyone's also feeling experimental: PAF10120P11 PMG Flange liner 10x12x12mm

I'll update with my findings once I have them!

Thanks FSEengineer, I followed your link and ordered a few Permaglide bushings.

I fitted a pair this afternoon on my Focus and now everything is as tight as a gnat's you know what. Straightforward enough to fit as long as you take care to line everything up and not cross-thread anything.
Only time will tell how durable they are but they have to be better than the originals. (y)

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Just an update on this one - the new bushings seem to work great after a coupe of rides, still no slop or knock. Think they might be squeaking ever so slightly (probably because it's so dusty) but equally that could be something else! Overall happy with them so far (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles