Canyon release 2022 EP8 ebikes - New Torque:ON and revised Spectral:ON

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
CANYON PRESS RELEASE:

Canyon is introducing an all-new, e-park bike—the Torque:ON—which combines the capability of the brand’s heralded Torque model with the power and range of Shimano’s new EP8 pedal-assist system. The brand’s Spectral:ON, Neuron:ON, and Grand Canyon:ON also receive the EP8 motor and battery update, creating one of the most comprehensive and innovative e-MTB lines in existence.

The Torque:ON is an absolute downhill-ripping, berm-slashing, air-boosting beast of a bike. It sports 175mm of ground-hugging rear suspension, a bombproof aluminium frame, and the kind of playful ride quality that’s rare from a bike with so much suspension travel. The Torque:ON is, in short, the perfect rig for anyone on a quest to ride the steepest, fastest tracks—without the aid of a shuttle van or chairlift. Canyon will offer two 2021 Torque:ON models in all markets outside the United States: The Torque:ON 8 (£4,499) and Torque:ON 9 (£6,299). Both versions are additionally available with a “Dual Battery” option for even longer days out on the trails.*

The Spectral:ON brings a nimble-yet-capable ride quality to table that is just plain fun. Sporting a mullet (29/27.5) wheel set-up, 150mm of front and rear suspension, and a sleek carbon front triangle, this is that one bike that can handle anything—from all day pedals to truly punishing descents. Six models are on tap for 2021, starting at £4,599 and culminating in the top-tier CF 9 version, which sells for £7,599.

Next in the line-up is the Neuron:ON. Featuring 130mm of front and rear suspension on most models, the Neuron:ON is the consummate trail bike. The fast and efficient Neuron:ON is the perfect tool for covering miles and uncovering adventure. The Neuron:ON is available in five models, with a price range of £3,699 - £4,599.

Last but not least, the Grand Canyon:ON brings together the same sophisticated Shimano EP8 motor and battery technology into a simple and reliable hardtail package that gives riders of all stripes the freedom to take every ride further. Canyon will offer five models, ranging in price from £2,899 - £3,599.

torque-on-8_2700_bk-wh_P5.jpg

TORQUE ON 8

torque-on-8_2700_gn_P5.jpg

TORQUE ON 8

torque-on-9_2701_bk-wh_P5.jpg

TORQUE ON 9

Torque-ON__NoText_2400x1350.jpg

2022 Canyon Torque:On Geometry

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 10.20.56.png

FAQ:

WHAT KIND OF SHOCK DOES THE TORQUE:ON USE?

The Torque:ON uses an air- sprung rear shock that’s been tuned to adapt to the Torque:ON’s ebike-adapted kinematics. The actual shock size is 250x70mm. Front hardware is 20x8. There’s no rear hardware as there is a direct connection between the shock extension and the shock body.

CAN I RUN A COIL ON THIS THING?
Air shock only. Due to the use of a shock extension, neither FOX, nor RockShox approves the use of any of their coil shocks.

WHAT MOTOR AND BATTERY DOES THE TORQUE:ON USE?

We chose the Shimano EP8 motor/EP8035 integrated battery combo for its excellent, natural feel, good power and range. The system helps the Torque:ON pedal more like an “acoustic” bike—it feels natural direct.

THE TORQUE HAS A WELL- EARNED REPUTATION AS A NIMBLE SORT OF “PLAY BIKE”. DID YOU LOSE THAT AGILE HANDLING BY ADDING A MOTOR? HOW HAVE WE RETAINED THE HANDLING CHARACTER?

When we developed the Torque:ON, we focused on maintaining that trademark playful Torque han- dling. Obviously, the additional weight introduced by the mo- tor and battery reduces some of the lively feel of a “normal bike”, but in general, the first impres- sion most people will have after descending on this rig will be: This feels like a normal bike! The short rear end and very-smartly designed kinematics were key to ensuring that the Torque:ON re- tained that great Torque handling.

DOES THE TORQUE:ON FEATURE ISCG TABS?
No. There’s no need for them on this bike. The bike already fea- tures mounts that can be con- fused for ISCG Tabs. They follow a special Shimano e-bike stan- dard integrated in the drive unit.
Bike comes with proprietary, frame-mounted chainguide and integrated bashguard that is part of the motor skid plate.

WAS DURABILITY A DRIVING FACTOR IN THE TORQUE:ON’S DESIGN?

Yes! We designed the Torque:ON to meet our most demanding (Category 5) testing standards. All bearings are adapted to their individual stresses. In fact, ac- cording to calculations, a lot of them are oversized to make them last longer while operating them far inside their limits. All bearings are filled with special, non-standard grease to further reduce friction, improve sealing, and increase their lifespan. We also replaced all friction bearings with heavy-duty ball bearings.

Ride quality also gets a boost from the Torque:ON’s over-the- top construction. The bearings and overall construction of the rear end (particularly the rocker and extension) are exceptionally robust, which gives this bike the kind of stiffness required to tru- ly testing the limits of an e-bike in technical conditions. Plenty of e-MTBs feel flexy and vague when you are pushing the bike hard. That’s definitely not the case here.

EASY MAINTENANCE HAS BEEN A DRIVING FACTOR IN THE DESIGN OF RECENT CANYON MODELS, SUCH AS THE SENDER AND SPECTRAL 29. WAS MAKING THE BIKE SIMPLE TO WORK ON ALSO A DRIVING
FACTOR IN THE TORQUE:ON’S DESIGN?

The Torque:ON is easy and straightforward to work on. All screws and bolts (except the Chainguide fixation) are easily accessible all the time. Cables are routed internally (through the front triangle). Thanks to the combination of the large battery cutout in the downtube and a Velcro base fixation system for all cables, it is really easy to access cables when necessary. Having said that, we’re confident that the bike won’t require much of that kind of maintenance.

WHAT’S THE MAXIMUM TIRE SIZE(WIDTH) FOR THE TORQUE:ON?

While the bike has been devel- oped for 2.5” tires, it accommo- dates most common 2.6” tires. As always, it pays to double check your tire clearance when switch- ing to a new model of tire since tire sizing varies so much from one tire manufacturer to the next.

2022 Canyon Torque On Weight and Specs

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 10.24.35.png

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
2022 Canyone Spectral On with EP8

spectral-on-cf-9_2699_gy_P5.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 10.31.48.png

2022 Canyon Spectral:On Geometry and specs

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 10.23.48.png

Last edited:

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
I've been waiting for the new neuron, has much really changed or is the main difference the motor upgrade? Can see alot of difference myself? ?

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
? dang thats a good price on the torque: on 8 nice paint too

Marin e2 or Torque: on 8 oh noes YT is coming out today too.. ?

I'd rather have the option for a 29 because its easier to go down to a 27.5 and a 603wat battery with a 500spare

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
500wh battery with range extender is a massive win for me, exactly the kind of option I want to see and meaning that you are not lumbered with excessive weight you dont need if you dont want it.

However lack of ability to run a child shock is disappointing, but at least they are upfront that the design doesn't work with a coil unlike a lot of brands

Last edited:

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
The spec on that Torque looks great for the price, the Spectral not so much. Is XTR really needed on an ebike???? a month riding in the british winter and its pretty much had it.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
500wh battery with range extender is a massive win for me, exactly the kind of option I want to see and meaning that you are not lumbered with excessive weight you dont need if you dont want it.

However lack of ability to run a child shock is disappointing, but at least they are upfront that the design doesn't work with a coil unlike a lot fo brands1

Just looked, I don't think it's an extender. It's a spare from what i'm reading here mate.

Dual Battery
Some days it’s hard to stop lapping your favourite trail. That’s why we offer the Torque:ON with an extra battery option. One quick battery swap later and it’s party lap time again.

the Torque on 9 looks banging!

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
74 STA actual or effective? Based on how far the saddle is behind the BB, I'm guessing effective. After riding steep STA, it's hard to go back. The tip of the saddle can be right over the BB spindle or a little forward, for my mid-foot pedaling style.

£4499 Torque 8:ON is 6150 USD. I'll stick to my Marin Alpine Trail E2 choice.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just looked, I don't think it's an extender. It's a spare from what i'm reading here mate.

Dual Battery
Some days it’s hard to stop lapping your favourite trail. That’s why we offer the Torque:ON with an extra battery option. One quick battery swap later and it’s party lap time again.

the Torque on 9 looks banging!
How right you are, shame, but the 2 battery option seem very good value for the price of the extra battery

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
How right you are, shame, but the 2 battery option seem very good value for the price of the extra battery

They may offer a extender at some point?

TBH i've been thinking about it. For bike parks, trail centres and surrey hills type places (us non mountainous UK southerners mainly ride) it may offer a better solution as you are often not that far from base and even pass it enough that swapping isn't a big issue?

Keeps weight down and you get 1000wh of batt.

never seen the 500w in flesh so would carrying the spare be too much of an issue? Guessing its quite small physically.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Most of my rides in Surrey Hills now tend to be lapping my favourite trails, as such I have two batteries, keep one in the car and just come back and swap out the batteries once my first one is down to about 20%.

Done a few longer rides (think about 45 miles is my longest IIRC rode from Reigate to Ranmore and back)) with spare battery in a pack, which was ok, but I don't think I would want to ride anything too technical with it as I don't really like wearing packs anyway.

I think if you are looking at riding trailcenters and bike parks having a lighter bike with the smaller battery makes sense for a lot of people, if effectively the trails all come back down to the car park where you can keep a spare battery in the boot.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Agree with the base camp riding and 2 batteries. But I still want a 603w for that day or two a year where you might go on a long loop somewhere I guess you could always try and hire one assuming it fits?

The weight saving is 0.8kg using the 500w to keep it below that magic 25KG?

603w/3.7kg @ 170w per KG
vs
504w/2.9kg @ 173w per KG

I still think it should have had a 29' fork, I've never tried one and it would have been nice to have the option to test both with out needing a fork change. Google tells me there's about +0.5KG for a 29' wheel vs 27.5 and a little extra for the fork.

Maybe they had a target weight and they used a smaller battery/wheel to get there?

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
Well...I was kinda surprised with Canyon’s decision to go with a 504wh battery in both the Torque and the Spectral, but I get it as a weight saving thing. I mean, I’ve never burned through a battery yet on my Spectral, cuz I’m not doing 5+ hour rides! And honestly, if you’re not a guy who does more than 2.5-3.5 hour rides, the extra battery capacity...and weight that comes with it...is unnecessary. But what really surprised me when I checked the Canyon Site is they still list the Spectral with the E8000 build! I‘m sure the EP8 is great, but when you can pick up a 7.0 for 4300€ or an 8.0 for 5200€ and all other specs are the same as the EP8 build, you’ll hafta go a long way to convince me that the new engine is worth the extra cash! ?

EDIT: I stand corrected on the 504wh battery in the 2021 Spectral...it is, in fact, the 630wh version

Last edited:

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Well...I was kinda surprised with Canyon’s decision to go with a 504wh battery in both the Torque and the Spectral, but I get it as a weight saving thing. I mean, I’ve never burned through a battery yet on my Spectral, cuz I’m not doing 5+ hour rides! And honestly, if you’re not a guy who does more than 2.5-3.5 hour rides, the extra battery capacity...and weight that comes with it...is unnecessary. But what really surprised me when I checked the Canyon Site is they still list the Spectral with the E8000 build! I‘m sure the EP8 is great, but when you can pick up a 7.0 for 4300€ or an 8.0 for 5200€ and all other specs are the same as the EP8 build, you’ll hafta go a long way to convince me that the new engine is worth the extra cash! ?
I see where you ae comming from, but what i would say is the EP8 is at the begining of its life cycle and the E8000 is at the end. As such the EP8 will get updates and tweeks and I wouldnt be supprised if the squeeze a bit more torque out of it etc much like the bosch has gone through development.

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
I see where you ae comming from, but what i would say is the EP8 is at the begining of its life cycle and the E8000 is at the end. As such the EP8 will get updates and tweeks and I wouldnt be supprised if the squeeze a bit more torque out of it etc much like the bosch has gone through development.

Possibly...but for the vast majority of non-shredding eBike users, paying 7-800€ more for the same bike with an arguably ‘better’ motor is gonna be a tough sale. Hell...Shimano still markets the E7000 and bike makers are still dropping it into some very expensive bikes...yes, I’m looking squarely at Santa Cruz! But since I mentioned shredding, I think Canyon is gonna have a harder time convincing the gnarlier among us to pop for the Torque, when a simple side-by-side comparison with the Commencal Meta Power SX brings up a lotta questions. The Fork/Shocks the same, but the 630wh battery and better Brakes & Drivetrain on the Commie...for the same price...really stand out. I dunno...in the end it’s a Mercedes vs BMW kinda argument and I’m not gonna lose sleep over it, but I am questioning some of Canyons decisions...?

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
I think there may be a bit of confusion going on here? It's been mentioned that the new spectral has the 504 battery, but on the canyon website it is listed as having the larger 630 .

Last edited:

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
I think there may be a bit of confusion going on here? It's been mentioned that the new spectral has the 504 battery, but on the canyon website it is listed as having the larger 630 .

So it does....

• Battery
    • Shimano STEPS 630-Wh Battery
    • Shimano's highest-capacity Lithium-Ion battery, IPX5 water resistant, 3.7 Kg, adaptor for external charging not included

I missed that when I was looking over the specs on the 2021 model. However...I stand by my opinion that the 2020 model with the E8000 and the 2.9kg 504wh battery for 7-800€ less than the 2021 counterpart is a damn smart buy for a lot of riders.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles