Canyon free not-so-festive Delivery

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
Hi everyone, I am about to become an emtb owner... soon... hopefully...!

Took advantage of the festive delivery offer from Canyon and ordered a Spectral:On back on 3rd December. Possibly got the last 2018 model (I preferred the Fox/SRAM spec), although they seem to have come back in stock in a few sizes. Website said it would ship 3-8 dec. Order confirmation said 10-14 but hey that's just a week, still arrive by xmas right? Wrong.
Bike supposedly shipped on the 14th. DHL tracking says is arrived at the Koblenz DHL terminal and here we are 13 days later, it is still there with no movement, no updates, and not a word Canyon.
They are living up to their legendary customer service reputation by politely and kindly failing to give me any useful update or info on what is happening with my bike.
I've chased DHL freight using the number provided on another forum post - I spoke to Sue on 01543 525008 who was very helpful but hasn't managed to update me just yet. Fingers crossed she might be able to tell me why my consignment is running late.

Canyon UK said Canyon Germany are closed but they've sent an email. I spoke to Michelle who also insisted that at least 2 weeks is an optimistic delivery time for an emtb (battery - dangerous goods - paperwork and complexity), although in a previous email a Michelle had said 7-10 days (maybe there is more than one Michelle?). I pointed out that it's a little difficult now to trust what they are telling me as the story has changed a few times already.

I called Canyon Germany who it turns out were actually open and again sounded very polite and helpful. They first said the bike has only made it from the factory to their HQ, and they are very busy with back orders, but when I pointed out I have a tracking number they confirmed it is actually with DHL at Koblenz but could not really explain why it has been there for 13 days with no movement. The dangerous goods topic came up again, this seems entirely likely as a cause for a delay but this isn't the first emtb they've sent right? I suspect something else is amiss but Canyon dont want to tell me! They insisted the necessary paperwork for the battery has been completed and the delay can only be due to the busy time of year. At this busy time of year I would be surprised to find DHL could cope with having large boxes blocking up their depots for 2 weeks at at a time.

The misinformation and doubt is killing me at the moment, this has been a very stressful bike purchase and its worrying to have a £4500 dent in my bank balance to a company who are so unable to tell a straight story or communicate internally. I am holding onto the excellent reviews of the bike by those who have finally gotten their hands on one!
The 'Two minds' thread in newbies gave me some interesting if worrying reading.

Is anyone else on here is in a similar fix and waiting for a Canyon emtb? I would be interested to hear what you have been told if anything!

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I have a Canyon on order for February. If they start messing me about I will soon enough cancel, plenty of other good bikes out there that can take my money. I'm not forking out good money to be messed about by poor customer service.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
If this is a logistics issue with the battery paperwork it’s mystifying - why is this still happening? Canyon can’t really say they are new to the ebike game any longer; there must have been many hundreds if not thousands of Spectral:Ons gone out of the door. Having ridden one a few months ago the Canyons would be near the top of my list if I was buying right now, but it’s hard to take that plunge when they seem unable to work out how to ship their products successfully.

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
They have today responded and apologised for the delay -
“Due to the increased demand the that holiday period has on courier companies, DHL in this has been unable to ship your order in the typically expected time frame for which I do apologise. We have been advised that the consignment should be moving shortly...”
I’m hopeful but not entirely convinced. The bike should normally have been at that depot for a few days max in order to make a 7-10 day delivery to my door. As its been at the depot for 14 days, this feels a little more than due to increased demand. Companies like DHL must surely know that Christmas happens once a year and ramp up operations to handle it.
I will chase DHL again directly and see if they are able to respond.

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
If this is a logistics issue with the battery paperwork it’s mystifying - why is this still happening? Canyon can’t really say they are new to the ebike game any longer; there must have been many hundreds if not thousands of Spectral:Ons gone out of the door. Having ridden one a few months ago the Canyons would be near the top of my list if I was buying right now, but it’s hard to take that plunge when they seem unable to work out how to ship their products successfully.
Matty, out of interest, and maybe in preparation for cancelling my order (if they breach their terms and conditions and it fails to arrive within 3 weeks of taking my money)... what emtb would be at the top of your short list for the money? Around £4500 in this case.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Giant and Focus are 2nd and 3rd on my list. Got a Giant dealer up the road from me so really should be 1st but prefer Shimano motor and the look of the Canyon.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Matty, out of interest, and maybe in preparation for cancelling my order (if they breach their terms and conditions and it fails to arrive within 3 weeks of taking my money)... what emtb would be at the top of your short list for the money? Around £4500 in this case.
Trance e+1, Commencal Meta (the 27.5 variant) or the E-Sommet VR. In reality though the Sommet has too much travel for the riding I do, so the Giant would be the one right now based on value and readily available LBS support. By the time I am ready to leap in though I am anticipating the EZesty and/or one of the new Whyte ebikes slated for the summer to have leapfrogged it.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am really interested to see the Whyte offerings - my LBS are a big Whyte and Specilized dealer, and one of the guys there was a 19 Levo development rider (he had a fully gaffer taped one back in June and was testing it round the Surrey Hills for months before they where released) and they are dying that Whyte are putting a lot of thought into EMTB.

I think somone on the Forum heard something at the bike show from Whyte that they had been looking at using the Bosch systems, but waiting on new motor? Cant be sure

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I am really interested to see the Whyte offerings - my LBS are a big Whyte and Specilized dealer, and one of the guys there was a 19 Levo development rider (he had a fully gaffer taped one back in June and was testing it round the Surrey Hills for months before they where released) and they are dying that Whyte are putting a lot of thought into EMTB.

I think somone on the Forum heard something at the bike show from Whyte that they had been looking at using the Bosch systems, but waiting on new motor? Cant be sure
That was me...

NEC Cycle Show 2018 - mini show report - EMTB Forums

He was understandably dancing around it a bit, but hinted there was a new Bosch motor they had been waiting on before developing the bikes. He was also explicit that they would have Shimano, Bosch and Fazua in the line-up, though I suspect the Fazua motors are more likely to be part of the commuter/hybrid C7 range.

midlifechrisis

Dec 16, 2018
Ipswich
A tad more money, but i just got a 2019 Levo Comp from my lbs. Could have had a decent discount off the £4999 price tag but chose 3 years interest free instead. Absolutely loving the bike. Looks beautiful, rides beautiful. I may invest in a 00wh battery for big days out though, which is bloody expensive. If I was buying again I'd probably go for the £7250 version which comes with the bigger battery, carbon main frame, pikes etc.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I was looking at getting a Canyon Nueron:ON but the hassle with warranty claims and the comments on here has put me off.

I have a warranty claim in progress for a Shimano control/display unit on a Vitus E-Sommet through Chain Reaction. I had it checked first at my LBS who wrote a report saying it was dead (thought this would speed the process up), I then sent it back to CRC who are now sending it to Madison, the Shimano UK distributor, who will perform the test again. Then, if they verify it's faulty, they will send a replacement unit back to CRC who will then send it to me.

This is all very complicated and would probably be even more hassle if I had to send it back to Germany.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I’m in the market for a new clockwork hardtail, came close to buying a Canyon Exceed but the horror stories of their customer service, plus the lack of dealer support, has made me think a Specialized Epic Expert is the way forward.

Weegi

Dec 28, 2018
Stirling
I was looking at getting a Canyon Nueron:ON but the hassle with warranty claims and the comments on here has put me off.

I have a warranty claim in progress for a Shimano control/display unit on a Vitus E-Sommet through Chain Reaction. I had it checked first at my LBS who wrote a report saying it was dead (thought this would speed the process up), I then sent it back to CRC who are now sending it to Madison, the Shimano UK distributor, who will perform the test again. Then, if they verify it's faulty, they will send a replacement unit back to CRC who will then send it to me.

This is all very complicated and would probably be even more hassle if I had to send it back to Germany.

Do Canyon not still have their UK service centre in Chessington? From what I can gather you would deal with Canyon UK and would not have to send the bike back to Germany.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Do Canyon not still have their UK service centre in Chessington? From what I can gather you would deal with Canyon UK and would not have to send the bike back to Germany.
Good question, I will ask them later about that. Sending bike back to Germany is not something I would be happy to do.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes

I didn't realise that they had a UK base. Makes sense really. I might take the plunge now I know this.

Thanks! Happy New Year! (y)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yeah, I checked, gets fixed in the UK service centre.
Yep, and the direct contact details are on the bottom of their Contact us page (no phone though)...

1546454479157.png

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
I ordered a spectral on on 11th December. It was dispatched on the 18th. It's been shipped from the terminal at De-Koblenz today. So fingers crossed my wait won't be too long.
Cant wait ?
Interesting, mine is now also finally on the way, also got shipped on Wednesday, so I guess they were waiting for a batch to send? Maybe they got a deal with DHL hence the free delivery!
The UK couriers contacted me yesterday and I'm now staying at home for the day waiting for it to arrive! Also very excited, but it is such a shame the whole experience was tainted. Possibly reading other horror stories has made me fear the worst every step and stressed me out unduly, but Canyon certainly have a lot of work to do to manage this better.
It's good to hear that issues get sorted in the UK service centre which is not far from me. I was under the impression it was just a call centre/office. But if the thing arrives damaged or the size is wrong, a replacement bike would still be coming from Germany which is now a scary prospect!
Fingers crossed all is well.

In desperation I did start looking at alternatives and thinking about cancelling, to be honest there is still nothing else on the market (yet) which I would consider. Vitus eSommet VR looks like the best option but I agree the travel is a bit too long for my riding and although the price is excellent, there are a few too many spec compromises for me. And they are all sold out, everywhere, instantly. Specialized is just in another price bracket altogether.
It would be good to see another motor from Bosch. I tested a Bosch powered Trek Powerfly LT 7 and found the high level of drag above 25 kph really annoying. It is like running into treacle and ruins fast flowy trails where you just want to throw a couple of pedal strokes in. Would definitely not invest in a Bosch unless they address it.

I will post updates and a review later today if it comes, when I get back in from the trails!

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...It would be good to see another motor from Bosch. I tested a Bosch powered Trek Powerfly LT 7 and found the high level of drag above 25 kph really annoying. It is like running into treacle and ruins fast flowy trails where you just want to throw a couple of pedal strokes in. Would definitely not invest in a Bosch unless they address it.
It is almost certain there will be a new motor from Bosch this year based on the info I got from Whyte on their stand at the NEC cycle show - if they address those issues it should put them near the top of the pile again. Not that that matters to you now, you are Shimano equipped! ;)

Last edited:

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
It is almost certain there will be a new motor from Bosch this year based onthe info I got from Whyte on their stand at the NEC cycle show - if they address those issues it should put them near the top of the pile again.
Good to hear, the current Bosch was great to ride up to the limiter. I'm hoping the Shimano is as good, haven't actually tried it yet!

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Interesting, mine is now also finally on the way, also got shipped on Wednesday, so I guess they were waiting for a batch to send? Maybe they got a deal with DHL hence the free delivery!
The UK couriers contacted me yesterday and I'm now staying at home for the day waiting for it to arrive! Also very excited, but it is such a shame the whole experience was tainted. Possibly reading other horror stories has made me fear the worst every step and stressed me out unduly, but Canyon certainly have a lot of work to do to manage this better.
It's good to hear that issues get sorted in the UK service centre which is not far from me. I was under the impression it was just a call centre/office. But if the thing arrives damaged or the size is wrong, a replacement bike would still be coming from Germany which is now a scary prospect!

In desperation I did start looking at alternatives and thinking about cancelling, to be honest there is still nothing else on the market (yet) which I would consider. Vitus eSommet VR looks like the best option but I agree the travel is a bit too long for my riding and although the price is excellent, there are a few too many spec compromises for me. And they are all sold out, everywhere, instantly. Specialized is just in another price bracket altogether.
It would be good to see another motor from Bosch. I tested a Bosch powered Trek Powerfly LT 7 and found the high level of drag above 25 kph really annoying. It is like running into treacle and ruins fast flowy trails where you just want to throw a couple of pedal strokes in. Would definitely not invest in a Bosch unless they address it.

I will post updates and a review later today if it comes, when I get back in from the trails!

I have a 2018 Vitus eSommet VR. A brilliant bike you can do anything on. Road, trail, singletrack, DH, XC. I rode Leeds-Liverpool canal for 43 miles and had well over 50% battery left. Best off road is about 30ish miles. Elevation uses power.
I ride in the Lake District, Hamsterley Forest, Gisburn Forest, Grizedale, Peak District... anywhere. I've used it on the road a few times (100+ mls) as well. Don't worry about having too much suspension travel. That's only a problem if you don't have a motor!

I had a problem with some play in the suspension linkage and CRC arranged collection and re-delivery to my house. The 'play' was only a loose bolt so should/could have fixed it myself :oops:

Canyon would probably be as good with after-sales service.

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
Canyon/DHL are testing me now!
Yesterday the courier company (Europa) called to arrange the delivery date for today - hence I'm sat at home waiting now. Due to arrive between 9-5. Impatient, I called them to ask if there is any update or closer idea. They were surprised and informed me they haven't actually received the item from DHL yet... Sounds like it has gone missing between leaving Germany and arriving at the Europa Dartford depot. The update from DHL saying it arrived in Greenford is apparently not true (she says). They are "searching the depot at Dartford to see if they can find it". I will drive to Dartford and get the thing today if they have it, cant take another day off work next week!
@Wayne Barker , when is yours due for delivery? Have you had any update?

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Canyon/DHL are testing me now!
Yesterday the courier company (Europa) called to arrange the delivery date for today - hence I'm sat at home waiting now. Due to arrive between 9-5. Impatient, I called them to ask if there is any update or closer idea. They were surprised and informed me they haven't actually received the item from DHL yet... Sounds like it has gone missing between leaving Germany and arriving at the Europa Dartford depot. The update from DHL saying it arrived in Greenford is apparently not true (she says). They are "searching the depot at Dartford to see if they can find it". I will drive to Dartford and get the thing today if they have it, cant take another day off work next week!
@Wayne Barker , when is yours due for delivery? Have you had any update?
It's amazing how many deliveries go missing, it's not exactly a small box is it.

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
Update! Europa have found the not-exactly-small box in their depot and I'm going to go pick it up from Dartford. Luckily less than an hour away if traffic is kind. Measured the boot, should fit inside an estate car I hope..!

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Update! Europa have found the not-exactly-small box in their depot and I'm going to go pick it up from Dartford. Luckily less than an hour away if traffic is kind. Measured the boot, should fit inside an estate car I hope..!
That's a big boot. Hope all goes well ?

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes

My Vitus E-Sommet box fitted into the back of my MK3 Mondeo Estate... just!

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath

Did it turn up? Mine has arrived in the country but still no idea when it's getting to me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles