Can't do flat pedals.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My BMX years were spent with peds similar to these and checkered Vans (of course). My mother would tell me they were dangerous and that I was going to get hurt.

View attachment 54375
Haha yes I remember those. Those "bear traps" look lethal but they actually have very poor grip - until they hit your shins... then all of the sudden they've got plenty of grip skidding down your leg, haha!

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Yes too much grip with too gummy soles is very off-putting for me too. When I plant my foot back on, I want to be able to move it in case it landed funny. I can't readjust quickly if the soles are too grippy.
I have 510's there is no waffle pattern where the pedal would be, its smooth but does have texture on the heel. I've not tried another brand, after 20 years of their stealth rubber on climbing shoes I didn't hesitate to buy 510 again.

So maybe a fatter/wider pin would be better?

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
My BMX years were spent with peds similar to these and checkered Vans (of course). My mother would tell me they were dangerous and that I was going to get hurt.

View attachment 54375
Yep, those were what I was using back in the BMX days (Ouch!). Using DMR V6 now and I just add metal pins to the corners of the pedals.
DMR did just come out with V11 pedals that look like a great set of flat pedals.
1614464066547.png

1614464307129.png

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I have 510's there is no waffle pattern where the pedal would be, its smooth but does have texture on the heel. I've not tried another brand, after 20 years of their stealth rubber on climbing shoes I didn't hesitate to buy 510 again.

So maybe a fatter/wider pin would be better?
I can't say for sure... internet opinions can only go so far. Everyone has a different idea of what a 'secure' footing feels like, so there's experimentation to be made to attain a good match between pedal and shoe. Maybe a preferred pedal shape has low grip and might require a softer gummier shoe sole. Or perhaps a beloved pedal has too much bite (very high metal pins) which might require a harder rubber sole compound (no to mention shin guards ?). Both scenarios could end up giving the same feel... hard to say for sure. I know guys that won't even give any of this a second thought, and can ride well with whatever they're wearing on top of busted flat pedals with several pins missing.

Same thing with big wide feet against small pedals, or small feet landing on extra wide flat pedals where some pins never make contact. There's a happy medium that would matter for some of us, but not necessarily for others. But if you can find a good combination that would help you get better used to riding flats, then that's progress.

Personally, I don't like shoe sole patterns that have large coin sized knobs surrounded by large gaps because some of the pedal pins will land on rubber and some will land on nothing. For me this is annoying because I never feel sure-footed. On the other hand, I don't like soles that are completely (or nearly) smooth without any pattern at all - because we have to walk on the dirt eventually, or even push our bikes uphill from an off. Shoes with no waffle pattern of any sort can't grab onto the ground - especially when things get a bit muddy.

You'd save a lot of money if you have riding mates that use various types of flat pedals... that's if they let you ride their bikes around the parking lot a bit. Otherwise you could end up with a box full of pedals like me. I've given them away to family and friends who bought new bikes to replace the cheapo pedals they usually come with.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I can't say for sure... internet opinions can only go so far. Everyone has a different idea of what a 'secure' footing feels like, so there's experimentation to be made to attain a good match between pedal and shoe. Maybe a preferred pedal shape has low grip and might require a softer gummier shoe sole. Or perhaps a beloved pedal has too much bite (very high metal pins) which might require a harder rubber sole compound (no to mention shin guards ?). Both scenarios could end up giving the same feel... hard to say for sure. I know guys that won't even give any of this a second thought, and can ride well with whatever they're wearing on top of busted flat pedals with several pins missing.

Same thing with big wide feet against small pedals, or small feet landing on extra wide flat pedals where some pins never make contact. There's a happy medium that would matter for some of us, but not necessarily for others. But if you can find a good combination that would help you get better used to riding flats, then that's progress.

Personally, I don't like shoe sole patterns that have large coin sized knobs surrounded by large gaps because some of the pedal pins will land on rubber and some will land on nothing. For me this is annoying because I never feel sure-footed. On the other hand, I don't like soles that are completely (or nearly) smooth without any pattern at all - because we have to walk on the dirt eventually, or even push our bikes uphill from an off. Shoes with no waffle pattern of any sort can't grab onto the ground - especially when things get a bit muddy.

You'd save a lot of money if you have riding mates that use various types of flat pedals... that's if they let you ride their bikes around the parking lot a bit. Otherwise you could end up with a box full of pedals like me. I've given them away to family and friends who bought new bikes to replace the cheapo pedals they usually come with.
I tend to over think stuff, I've not had traction issues when off the bike with either my flat 510s or clipless version. Will most likely end up with some crank bros as I've been very happy with my EMallets. Or the one-ups come in a green that would match my DVO forks...

I do appreciate the well thought out responses.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Personally, I don't like shoe sole patterns that have large coin sized knobs surrounded by large gaps because some of the pedal pins will land on rubber and some will land on nothing.
If you're talking aboutsoles like these 5:10s

img_9384.jpg

Pedal pins that happen to lie between the circle tread still do contact the rubber.

Shoes with no waffle pattern of any sort can't grab onto the ground - especially when things get a bit muddy.
Dunno what sort of mud you have but I've worn Vans waffle sole skate shoes almost all my adult life and they have to be among the worst sole patern possible for walking on mud as the waffle clogs with it and leaves you with LESS grip than a smooth stealth rubber 5:10 sole would.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
If you're talking aboutsoles like these 5:10s

img_9384.jpg

Pedal pins that happen to lie between the circle tread still do contact the rubber.

Dunno what sort of mud you have but I've worn Vans waffle sole skate shoes almost all my adult life and they have to be among the worst sole patern possible for walking on mud as the waffle clogs with it and leaves you with LESS grip than a smooth stealth rubber 5:10 sole would.
Mine are similar to those with no tread where the pedal would sit.

That sole may stay put butter but more difficult to reposition vs having the smooth section.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Over Xmas I picked up a pair of 5:10 Kestrel Team shoes for a seriously good price. I'm finding them to be good, solid, comfy shoes and the dotty sole is a bonus when walking.
The odd time I ride my Remedy now I miss being clipped in tbo. This is after 19 years of riding on flats.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
I love flats. I ride a lot of super technical trails and don’t have to be concerned about a sticky clip. I have seen a lot of injuries with riders not in-clipping due to sand in the spring area. I have kept from getting injured several times.

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
IMHO flats require more skill and technique (that I sadly don't have)
However a big advantage to clips is the easy extra horsepower that you can generate from your hamstring muscles on the upstroke.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles