Can't do flat pedals.

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Been riding with Shimano SPD's for over 20 years and thought I'd give flats a try on the Rail.
After only 1 ride, back to clipless as I found it to awkward.

As the saying goes.....can't teach an old dog new tricks.

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
I've been riding SPD for 10 years and then switched to flats to improve my technique. This year, after 4 and half years on flats I'm again on SPDs on my e-bike and still on flats on my dirt bike. Both platforms have their pros and cons.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I can't ride with spds, well I can but only on my road bike. A few years back (probably 12) I gave them a damn good go on my mountain bike, I must have persevered with them for 6 months but I've never had so many crashes, I took to wearing body armour as was crashing so much, so eventually i went back to flats and ditched the body armour, and all is right in the world again.

It's funny how some people who are so used to spds can't ride flats and vice versa.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I used to ride clipped in 20 years ago on my mtb, i had a small off and couldn't get unclipped so went over the bars and the bars stuck in my chest braking a rib, that was a painful 10 mile ride home.

Maybe clipped pedals have evolved over the years but since renewing my mtb passion albeit 20 years older in age its flats for me :)

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I'm similar put am persevering. I have a problem with nerves in my legs, basically they don't work properly after I had to have spinal surgery. Minor paralysis in outer part of left calf and left foot so I wear a shin brace.

I can't feel my feet on the pedals properly hence me sticking with SPDs since the early 90s. Got the Merida and have been on flats but the post by @Stihldog on Magpeds intrigued me, I think I'll be investigating these things. Best of both maybe. Quick release as not having to twist and I know where my foot is when it snaps onto the magnet.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I'm similar put am persevering. I have a problem with nerves in my legs, basically they don't work properly after I had to have spinal surgery. Minor paralysis in outer part of left calf and left foot so I wear a shin brace.

I can't feel my feet on the pedals properly hence me sticking with SPDs since the early 90s. Got the Merida and have been on flats but the post by @Stihldog on Magpeds intrigued me, I think I'll be investigating these things. Best of both maybe. Quick release as not having to twist and I know where my foot is when it snaps onto the magnet.
Hey Tony
They might not be for everyone but I think they’re the mid-point between flats and clipless. Took a little getting use to but now I find them a must-have for me. My neighbor, who clips-in, tried them just for fun. He couldn’t get his feet off the Magpeds. Kinda funny for a moment then he figured it out.
It’s a different action for release and connection. I’ve always used clip-in on my road bikes but since my stroke, and the eMTB game, magnetic peddles seem to be better for me.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Hey Tony
They might not be for everyone but I think they’re the mid-point between flats and clipless. Took a little getting use to but now I find them a must-have for me. My neighbor, who clips-in, tried them just for fun. He couldn’t get his feet off the Magpeds. Kinda funny for a moment then he figured it out.
It’s a different action for release and connection. I’ve always used clip-in on my road bikes but since my stroke, and the eMTB game, magnetic peddles seem to be better for me.
I'm struggling with flats as well. I rode clipless for many years both on the road and MTB, after trying flats last year I went back to clipless (crank bros mallets)

I do like the ease of flats as well as the safety of not being clipped in but at the same time love the safety of being clipped in... - but cannot for the life of me figure out how to manipulate the bike like I can with clipless pedals.

Do you find that with the magpeds you're able to move the rear of the bike around similarly to clipless?

I feel so much safer clipped in, especially on drops, on really rough terrain and in the air. I used to be ok with one and even no footers but that was 20 years ago and I was meaning to do it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I have poor technique when using flats...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shinn - practice bunnyhopping on flats and re-aquaint yourself with the pre-load needed for pretty much every maneouver using them.
If you used to be able to no footer it shouldn't take you too long to re awaken your muscle memory.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've been on Time pedals for about 15 years ..cant remember the type I'm on at the moment but they are a bit wider than Atac's ..
The only time I've tried flats my shins took a right hammering ..Unclipping is second nature and while getting my foot off the pedal might not be as quick as with flats ..there is very little in it..

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Shinn - practice bunnyhopping on flats and re-aquaint yourself with the pre-load needed for pretty much every maneouver using them.
If you used to be able to no footer it shouldn't take you too long to re awaken your muscle memory.
Last time I did that I slammed my knee on the bars and my balls on the top tube...I should re-read some of @zimmerfames body armor reviews.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I've been on Time pedals for about 15 years ..cant remember the type I'm on at the moment but they are a bit wider than Atac's ..
The only time I've tried flats my shins took a right hammering ..Unclipping is second nature and while getting my foot off the pedal might not be as quick as with flats ..there is very little in it..
I rode SPD for years, never tried Time. I never had difficulty getting out of my pedals especially now as I find the crank bros so much better since they don't get gunked up like I experienced with SPD's.

I do find that when I crash, there is usually one foot still clipped in, the bike is on top of me and I'm upside down with my head pointing down hill and struggle to get unclipped at that point.

Hurt my ankle pretty good last year when I came to an abrupt stop and basically fell over slamming my ankle into a stump with it still clipped in, I'm thinking that has caused its share of broken ankles.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Do you find that with the magpeds you're able to move the rear of the bike around similarly to clipless?
I can’t really say? I guess I've never analyzed my abilities, which are kinda limited, but I do like the feeling of being attached to the bike. I suppose if I made some extreme moves I could detach.

I can say that I’ve only had a few accidental detachments while riding up over marbles or baby-doll-heads, which is too many times to count btw but very often and each day I go out.

I’ve also had snow and mud stuck to the bottom of my shoes and boots. Doesn’t seem to be a problem. It’s not a show stopper anyways.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I had a quick read and that article seems to be written by a bloke who couldn't master clipless pedals..( fair enough) ..but seems to promote the idea that every clipless pedal rider actually wants to ride flats ..
Not me ..?
There are benefits to both flats and clipless, but if you can’t master either one of those then magnets are a viable option. The nice thing I find on magnetic peddles are that you have the sense of being clipped in. You can, if you want, ride with regular flats if you want to. They can still add lovely beauty marks to your shins too.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
it happens to me the other way around, hate that orthopedic feeling when clipped. I should try some pedals with more float and more contact area, is the other thing I hate that tiny spot you can’t play with your weight.

29er>integrated battery> leverage> official news relate> clipless on the suckometer scale, tiny differences between the >

@Gary plays in another league off the scale

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I would say that you have to slightly change your technique. Moving the rear around is possible but not exactly the same as being clipped in. If your technique for flats is used then fine, but with the magnets you can go a little farther. It really feels like the midway point between flats and clipless.
As far as picking up metals on a trail …not really. Almost 5000km on these peddles and I can only think of once that I wiped them off. Essentially they can be treated like flat peddles.
I wish they could collect valuables but they don’t ?.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Gary plays in another league off the scale
I genuinely find it amazing when I hear folk with expensive bikes say they can't ride them without being attached to the pedals.
Mindblowing infact.

KindHeavyFlounder-max-1mb.gif

Unlike Skiing or snowboarding no one learned to ride a bike with their feet clipped to it

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
yet some people started skiing cross country or telemark so different type of clipping
And there are multiple types of clipless pedals for bikes too.
I'm not sure I get what your point is?
Mine was that no one uses clipless pedals to learn to ride a bike
Does anyone actually use no foot clipping/bindings at all to learn skiiing? (I'm not a skier)

1614172081360.gif

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but if I want to hit a trail, I want my SPDs or the level of fun is halved for me.
:oops:
If you mean you can't pedal a smooth circle, bunnyhop or jump without being clipped in then you are simply lacking the most basic mtb skills.
If you struggle to hold your foot in place on rough ground or in the air that's a weighting and foot position issue

sorry. i don't really want to talk about skiing

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I went from flats to clips. And back (just recently)

- On clips I learned a load of bad habits
- After only being used to clips, when I rode bikes with flats I almost fell off on every drop / bump
- Came to the conclusion that in order to progress my skills, being good on flats is essential

I mix them up now, but trying to stay on flats (80% of the time) I now am fine with drops / jumps and bunnyhops (all relative, stuff within my skillset). Actually find flats great for cornering and can move feet more on pedals, thus helping with body language a bit more.

Goal is flats 80% of the rides.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you brought skiing in the discussion :)
I know. much to my I regret :sneaky:
I guess I am useless at mountain biking then. Oh well, I had hopes it was ok to use SPD to be considered as an ok mountain bikers. But hey, one can be wrong and just admit their inferiority.
No one said that. I have a friend who won a national DH race and can't bunnyhop a bike with flat pedals. And yes I found that mindblowing too when i found out.
I'll just delete my account here, thanks for the ride (ski ride of course, can't bike, not good enough)
Haha...
it wouldn't hurt to learn the pre-load, weight shift and timing skills you lack
you don't even need to remove your SPDs ;)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My shoes have an “on again-off again” relationship with my peddles. I can’t say which is best but I know what works for me.
I’ve tried flats, clipless and magnets on road, gravel and mtb. The variation of factors can be endless, but in the end something will feel right.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
you brought skiing in the discussion :)
I guess I am useless at mountain biking then. Oh well, I had hopes it was ok to use SPD to be considered as an ok mountain bikers. But hey, one can be wrong and just admit their inferiority.

I'll just delete my account here, thanks for the ride (ski ride of course, can't bike, not good enough)
There is no law to what you have to wear on your feet when mountain biking, SPD or flats the choice is yours. Just pick what suits you and get out and enjoy the ride. (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles