Cannondale Moterra 2 and LT2 2018

Spud

Aug 14, 2018
South Wales
Has anyone on here bought either of these models?
There are a few really good deals on these at the moment. Few good reviews on Youtube but yet to see one on the trails to get an opinion from someone whose been riding them.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Yes I have the LT1

p6pb16294454.jpg

Had it for about 6 weeks now and have put 80 miles on it. 4 XC rides 17-20miles each

It is stupidly awesome it does it all.

Uphill it is like nothing I have ever ridden -if you put in 75% of normal uphill effort you can go up even the steepest hills at 13-15mph.

On the Flat using ECO you can spin up to 16mph easily and then past assistance up to 22mph easily

Downhill - it is extremely stable and I can be a less concisous of the line I take and let the bike do all the work.

Downsides - grips were too skinny for me so I put Egron Evo's on, Massive rear wheel travel demands a rear Mudhugger (now fitted), Saddle is creaking already, Fox Factory 36 Forks are very flexy to/aft when braking (lefty would be better)

Upsides - despite the flexy forks the bike tracks very solidly, dropper post is top notch, XT brakes are brilliant, so are the shifters/rear mech, Wheels are comparitvly light (for Emtb) Tires are heavy but really solid at 25LBS running Stans

Overall I think this is an ultimate XC bike - all the trails I know well I can do with an increased average speed. Would I buy it again with what I know now - YES!!!

Last edited:

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
110 miles now - wanted to add the tires are superb - 2.35 is the carcass size the knobs measure 2.6. The side walls are very strong and the dont sqirm like bigger tires.

Now running the forks on 55psi with the rebound backed of all the way bar 2 clicks and I got about 3cm more travel (max) out of it last night ( on the southbound fourmile decent) - which caused a snake bite on a mates 29er rear tire (hard tail) maxxis minion!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Here's a review of the 2018 Moterra 2, unfortunately I haven't made an english version of it, but the googletranslation may be of some help
Google Oversetter

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thius months MBUK has it in a group test with a fairly in depth review

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Perhaps that was the only way they could enough bikes together for a group test. :D

I tried to get a Demo on a Mondraker last year and the importers were remarkably unhelpful.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
They said the tester was 6 foot 2 - so they needed XL bikes - then said the Moterra was "small" in XL - what a load of tosh -

Also the Moterra was the lightest in the group and they didnt mention that!

Also the dopes had the saddle all the way forward!!!

Last edited:

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
I'm right on the edge of buying this bike. Do I lose my top speed due to the resistance of the Bosch motor? I have a track that I hit 27mph on my Cannondale trigger. I'd hate to be slower. How does the bike compare to a bike with plus tyres? Are the lack of plus tyres a plus or minus?
Thanks for any advice

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
I've just Seen your video showing the friction. This is good news. The motor does not slow down a freewheeling bike. It just has a small amount of resistance to peddling. I doubt I'll notice

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I'm right on the edge of buying this bike. Do I lose my top speed due to the resistance of the Bosch motor? I have a track that I hit 27mph on my Cannondale trigger. I'd hate to be slower. How does the bike compare to a bike with plus tyres? Are the lack of plus tyres a plus or minus?
Thanks for any advice

1 re top speed 27 depends on your gearing - what are using to do is and is this on the flat or downhill - when I am doing 20mile loop I have been spinning up to 25 on the flat at the end of the ride - but the group doesnt go faster than that - and from memory a 1X system spins out at around 22-25? Also you cant really compare an e bike to a none e bike, they different animals -the moterra will do uphill and in many respects downhill better than the trigger ( and will accelerate like a rocket), but the trigger will be better on very long flat rides mile after mile at >25MPH average speed. so it depends on your routes - if there are any uphill sections ( that you have you to change gear for, and drop below 10mph ) then the entire ride will be faster than the trigger. Personally I have had mine up to 37mph but that was rolling down a big hill!

2 I think plus tires have had thier day as Speccy have stopped fitting them for 2019. Depending on the plus tire you cant run them very low as thier sheer size can get squirmy ( unless you are a 8 stone whippet). and of course they will be heavier. The LT1 2018 has 2.35 tires - but that is the carcass width- the knobs measure 2.6.- to me they still look huge and 220 miles in they have saved my bacon on several occaisions when normally I would have been chucked off the bike. I found that I can only run them down to 20PSI ( I am 14 Stone) any lower and I burp the rear tire on rocks! Overall I would say avoid plus tires - but I am sure others will contradict that.

3 Friction - correct obs I notice it when I go past the assistance but it as it only happens on the flat or downhill + the bike is already moving it does spoil the ride and easily doable, as you are not knackered - compared to a non e bike.

The only major things I have done to my bike are:
Saddle - I prefer a flatter profile
Grips - I found them too thin and I prefer Ergon anyway
Rear Cassette as the 11-42 SLX belongs on a non ebike (Sensible Ebike Cassette)
Volume Spacer for the rear shock- I still have the middle size one - which I can post to you to try if you want it)

I am sure for £50 Rutland will hire you one for the weekend - Refundable if you go on to buy a bike from them.

I had doubts when I was ordering mine - but I am now 220 miles in and I almost ready to propose to it!

And finally while the Bosch CX doesnt win any beauty competions Cannondale have fitted it like no one else and made thier own covers/mounts for the electric connector section (above the cranks) . Also there are spares a-plenty for this motor and it seems to have fewer issues than the brose - and is easy to work on.

Last edited:

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
Thanks so much for all that advice. I've currently got the shop down to £3549 4 years interest free for the Monterra LT1. I'm trying to push them a little further even though it seems like the best value available. I hope they don't sell out my size.

The 27mph I was referencing was downhill without peddling. I was worried the motor was going to reduce that. I know now that it wont. I'll probably be going faster due to weight and suspension absorbing more impacts.

The popularity of the bosch and spares is something I didn't think about and is a great bonus.

I live on the Isle of Lewis so I dont have a shop that can hire me a bike to test out unfortunately.
Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully I'll take the leap soon.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Thats a very good price for a lot of bike - the Base FSR with out a dropper would be more! I actuallly paid £3650 for mine!

Also the wheels come pre taped - so to go tubless all you need is the valves - ask the shop to through 2 in for you! - mind you the inner tubes are light weight, I just prefer to runs Stans!

I am doing a range test on mine tomorrow and trying out my new ergon chest mount for my Go Pro - I am hoping to ride until the 500Wh dies and then come home on the 400wh!

I have saved this to my PC for future reference!

Moterra Service and Spares Schedule

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for your results on your test run. I use a YI 4k on a gimbal.
Have a look and see what you think. The gimbal makes Mtb videos much better to watch.
What bosch batteries do we get to choose from? Are they specific to Cannondale? With a Cannondale premium?

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
An 11-42t cassette definitely belongs on an emtb.
An 11-42t cassette definitely belongs on an emtb.
Err yes if the battery is flat and you have to pedal up hill. remember that the 42 and 46 replace the 22T granny ring on a triple and even spinning you are doing 3MPH - not what I use my ebike for even on eco I am doing 7mph on the steepest hills I can find.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for your results on your test run. I use a YI 4k on a gimbal.
Have a look and see what you think. The gimbal makes Mtb videos much better to watch.
What bosch batteries do we get to choose from? Are they specific to Cannondale? With a Cannondale premium?
Great vid MAC, re batteries its the standard Bosch "in frame" battery - the one with a handle on the top, I got my spare 400wh for £260 from Vienna (second hand) but works fine - its fitted on this clip I just did-

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
the other thing is that on the Moterra you will be able to ride up that route at 8-15 MPH without breaking a sweat, and you will be in the middle of the cassette. I never used 37 or 42 so I am now trying a Road Sil-tec 11-34

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Err yes if the battery is flat and you have to pedal up hill. remember that the 42 and 46 replace the 22T granny ring on a triple and even spinning you are doing 3MPH - not what I use my ebike for even on eco I am doing 7mph on the steepest hills I can find.
Does the 42t and 46t replace the 22t granny ring? And why do I have to remember that? You have to take chainring size into consideration before making that statement. When you rode an mtb with a 3x crank there was a 32-36t on the biggest cassette cog.
Chainring/cassette= gear ratio
22/36=0,61
22/24t=0,91
32/36t=0,88
38/42t=0,9

It's safe to say the 42t does not replace the granny ring. You are nowhere near the 22/36t ratio on the Moterra with a 42t cassette, the lowest gear is heavier than the middle ring on a 3x crank and a 36t cassette.

I rode the Kenevo with a 32t chainring and 42t cog rear self-shuttling up the local dh-track. It definitely wasn't too low a gear, and I wouldn't want anything less. Riding my local trails using the Merida e160 I use the 34-46t on a couple of climbs. I climbed 600m over 4,5km this summer and I was glad I had the 34-46t gear. It doesn't seem we have the same definition of "steepest hills". You have got a Bosch Performance CX with a 15t chainring, that equals a 38t chanring on an ebike middrive motor without internal gearing. I wouldn't want anything less than 42t with that kind of chainring. I can't see any reason to recommend people to swap the 11-42t cassette without knowing what terrain they ride.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Does the 42t and 46t replace the 22t granny ring? And why do I have to remember that? You have to take chainring size into consideration before making that statement. When you rode an mtb with a 3x crank there was a 32-36t on the biggest cassette cog.
Chainring/cassette= gear ratio
22/36=0,61
22/24t=0,91
32/36t=0,88
38/42t=0,9

It's safe to say the 42t does not replace the granny ring. You are nowhere near the 22/36t ratio on the Moterra with a 42t cassette, the lowest gear is heavier than the middle ring on a 3x crank and a 36t cassette.

I rode the Kenevo with a 32t chainring and 42t cog rear self-shuttling up the local dh-track. It definitely wasn't too low a gear, and I wouldn't want anything less. Riding my local trails using the Merida e160 I use the 34-46t on a couple of climbs. I climbed 600m over 4,5km this summer and I was glad I had the 34-46t gear. It doesn't seem we have the same definition of "steepest hills". You have got a Bosch Performance CX with a 15t chainring, that equals a 38t chanring on an ebike middrive motor without internal gearing. I wouldn't want anything less than 42t with that kind of chainring. I can't see any reason to recommend people to swap the 11-42t cassette without knowing what terrain they ride.

Thats fine we all have different reasons for owning ebikes for me MTBing is about speed - most of my non ebikes are XTR everything and Mavic SLR to help me gain those precious extra few MPH. So coming to ebike (for me) is all about gaining extra speed, and like I said, my 37 and 42 were only ever used when I was riding with a group of non ebikes and I wanted to be social and not leave for dust, which means 3mph up steep climbs - when I can go up at 12MPH half way up the block.

#MAC FYI this is what the battries look like

p4pb16475681.jpg

p4pb16475682.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry. Matty. The BSometer inexplicably broke earlier today.
But even without it I'm really struggling to take anything WW says seriously.
knut7 knows what's what.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles