Cannondale Jekyll 700 Ebike Build (PICS and Video)

doublec4

Oct 24, 2019
Toronto
Hi all!

I'm new to the forums and relatively new to the ebike world. I wanted to share with you guys my ebike build that I'm currently working on.

Quick backstory:
I was originally looking for a bike to commute to work on and although I live in a city, the roads are rough and I had figured that a full suspension mountain bike could help with that. I didn't want to break the bank but I also didn't want a bike that would fall apart on me so I went searching through the ads on my local buy and sell to see what I could find. I came across this Cannondale Jekyl 700 that needed a little bit of work, but for $150 I thought it was a steal. Although it is a bit of an older bike, it was made in the USA, stout looking aluminum frame, equipped with hydraulic disk brakes, full suspension with FOX rear shock, and a big beefy looking front head shock.

jekyll.jpg

After some minor repairs I was riding around and was happy with the bike. But then, like with everything I own, I couldn't just leave it alone... I had to modify it... and so I decided building an ebike would be fun...

The Ebike build:
With my donor bike chosen, I found some decent reviews on ebike kits from "LeafBike" online. I read that their 1500W hub motors were actually decent despite being a budget Chinese option. I ordered the entire rear hub motor and controller + LCD kit from leafbike and sourced out a 48V LiFePo4 triangle battery from Aliexpress. I mocked up a location for both inside the frame and everything seemed to fit...

controller.jpg

I will be working on a proper mount for the controller using the old water bottle mounting locations. Some water jet cut aluminum brackets will do the trick... I'll post pictures of those soon when I get them back from the shop.

In the meantime I mounted the rear hub motor and found that the LeafBike kit was missing some parts to get everything assembled properly. Looking online for some guidance it was hard to find the info I was looking for regarding the washer/spacer and torque washer arrangement for my rear hub motor. Eventually I got that sorted out and made this video to help other ebike builders out:

Rotorside.jpg

With the hub motor installed I also wanted some torque arms to keep things safe, especially since this is an aluminum frame. I wasn't crazy about those hose clamp style torque arms so I decided to design my own. Using the simple method of measuring, using printer paper to print to scale and make some changes, then 3D print to confirm, and then finally waterjet from stainless steel, I had my torque arms. The disk brake side ties into the brake caliper mount, and the chain and sprocket side is smaller but uses a few bolts that thread into the frame.

I also made a little video about torque arms, why you need them, how I designed mine, etc:

3D Printed:
torquearmproto.jpg

Stainless steel (painted black):

torquearmsteel.jpg

In the picture above you can also see that I started wiring and figuring out the routing of my wiring for the hub motor. Since I have a 3D printer, I decided to incorporate some holders for the WAGO wire splices that I'm using in case I need to disconnect and remove the hub. The WAGO splice holder mounts to my torque arm on the disc brake side of my bike and provides some strain relief to the wires:

WAGO.jpg

I'm at the point now where I need to start making connections for the battery to the controller and start plugging in my LCD screen and routing those wires. I'm also working on incorporating a rear LED motorcycle tail light / turn signal unit... I've been 3D printing those mounts and a housing for the 12V DC converter to run the lights, along with an automotive flasher unit to flash the turn signals:

taillights.jpg

taillights3dprinted.jpg

So that's what I have for now! I'll be updating this thread as I go along for those interested in this build :) If you guys have any comments, suggestions or criticisms I'd love to hear them!

progress.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

doublec4

Oct 24, 2019
Toronto
So it's been a little longer than a few days... turns out children under a year old require a lot of attention...

Anyways, I'm happy to report that I have made progress! The bike is technically "done" in the sense that it is operable and I did end up finishing my lighting system recently + the remainder of the wiring.

For the front of the bike, I purchased a headlight and some cheapo motorcycle turn signals from ebay... used my 3D printer to print up a housing and clamp that mounts to my handle bar stem:

IMG_0938.jpg

For the rear of the bike, I also used an ebay cheapo motorcycle tail light module... 3D printed a mount and the housing has some space inside to hide some wires etc. The rear light clamps to the frame under the seat post.

IMG_0974.jpg

Instead of using my ebike battery to power the whole thing (since the nominal voltage of the lights are all 12V) I designed and printed an adapter for a 12V Milkwaukee tool battery so I can snap it in and out. I use Milwaukee tools so it's convenient for me...

IMG_0977.jpg

If you guys are interested in seeing the lights all functioning and checking out more details I posted this video:

I made all of the design files available for anyone to download and print for themselves, there is also a parts list, etc.

So there you have it! Full lighting system on my "e-Jekyll!"

00ABE9BD-6AEE-4740-A610-CDAF1B0F929F.JPG

P1020733.JPG

doublec4

Oct 24, 2019
Toronto
you can fit a dropper with the hidden cable on these bikes also - heres mine with a transX Cannondale Jekyll 800 Blue XTR and SLR 28lbs | eBay

Looks great!

I can't believe after all of these years how solid this bike still is despite slapping a 1500W motor on it... I'm sure it is high inadvisable to do this, but I did a top speed run (with a small downhill grade to help...) and I hit exactly 44mph... or 70kmh and I didn't even get so much as a wobble. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that number.

451283D7-28EA-4010-9E36-F2ED993B0E09.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles