Can you get the battery magnet for a centerlock rear wheel?

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
I've got a set of centerlock wheels, but wondering how i go about getting the magnet to fit as the current one on the e-reign is part of the 6 bolt locking system, do giant do a centerlock alternative, or can it be fudged?

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I've got a set of centerlock wheels, but wondering how i go about getting the magnet to fit as the current one on the e-reign is part of the 6 bolt locking system, do giant do a centerlock alternative, or can it be fudged?

I picked up a neodymium magnet and just stuck it on the disc. Hasn't fallen off yet!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
The cleanest way to to buy a Shimano CL rotor with the built in magnet. That's what I currently use.

The cheapest way as @lumpy suggested is to slap a Nd magnet on your 6-bolt disc (assuming it's steel) and use this Shimano adapter:

adapter.jpeg

Be careful using your SL wrench. The adapter lock ring is thin, and I needed to sand off the chamfer on my Park wrench to prevent it from slipping.

I also recommend a dab of epoxy around the magnet to make sure it doesn't slip.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Stu - advise reading the original post more carefully: "I've got a set of centerlock wheels . . ."

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles