Can the E8000 display be forced to show cadence as main reading? [Solved - update firmware]

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I use my GPS to show speed, distance and time and track my rides so would like the shimano display to just show cadence instead of speed but at the moment if I through scroll through the display parameters to cadence it always reverts back to speed while riding.
Anyone know if there any way to lock a particular parameter you want displayed on the unit?
Am looking through E-Tube at the moment but don't see an obvious way to do this.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Don’t think there is, it’s annoying that it reverts back to speed from the other options.

Going to have a play with mine and see if you can

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh... right. That's pretty stupid. I really should have RTFM.

Thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a Garmin. And I HATE it.
I'd rather not ever give Garmin any more money for their unintuitive tamagotchi technology shit if I can help it.

Oh.. .well the speed display can always be modded with gaffertape ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I agree with you on that, never had a cycle computer that I liked how it operated

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I agree with you on that, never had a cycle computer that I liked how it operated
Garmin are def top of my shit list

My little tomtom multisport is about the most intuitive simple GPS device I've ever had.
You just set the 3 parameters you want to display on the main screen out of
clock, duration, distance, speed, Avg spd, cadence, cal, HR, ascent, gradient, climb
and can scroll up and down through them at any time with one button.
Battery lasts 10hrs (6 if backlit)
Uploads automatically to STRAVA etc. from PC or bluetooth phone connection
There's sports timer/HR geek stats galore if you really want those and it can be used for various activities from cycling/walking/running to swimming/gym by simply choosing another activity from the start menu.
When not in use it's a watch.

I don't actually need/use maps (apart from road cycling abroad). AFAIC getting lost isn't something to be worried about you've simply found somewhere new and that can often mean finding new trails or meeting new people (often unanounced);)

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Weird … I have the E8000 display and I switch it to cadence every time I ride … but it stays displaying cadence for the rest of the ride … so what's the difference for me? I assumed that was just how it was supposed to work.

Never knew about the possibility of reverting back to speed display after 60 seconds - that sounds annoying!

I have the E-tube project on PC - let me connect and check the software versions etc.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I didn't realise it was after 60sec. Just that it never staays on Cadence. I had thought it might have been happening when switching modes.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
This is all the info for settings I can find in E-tube:

e8000.png

Can't see anything to specify whether or not it would switch back to speed.

The software version on my display is 4.0.7 - any idea on yours?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I just updated it today it's whatever is the current version

In Etube I have everything unticked except cadence

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Mine doesn't revert back to speed , it stays on cadence until it’s re booted or you select another option .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for all your help guys.
The display now stays on cadence fine. I've no idea why it didn't before or what has fixed it.
I updated the firmware this afternoon so maybe something in the old firmware was causing it. Who knows. All good now though so I'm happy.

Maybe try updating yours @R120 and see if that sorts yours too.

Last edited:

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Do you mean from the handlebar display or the App @StuE
From the handlebar display , I have a e6000 mode controller which has a button to select different modes on the display, don't know if it makes any difference

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nope, have it on both my bikes as well - pretty sure it’s the software, just noticed that on my HT which has updated software it doesn’t Change back, but my Fs which is on older software it does

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
CanI put one of those SOLVED fingys up on this thread now?

Ooh ohh... where;s the button??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles