• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Can I use a Shimano Hyperglide+ chain with a SRAM 11sp chainring?

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I just destroyed my SRAM 11sp rear derailleur today which was all the excuse I needed to swap to Shimano SLX chainring and XTR chain, along with the AXS derailleur and shifter. The only question I had was, should I swap my chainring? It's a single front chainring, not sure if there is anything hyperglide specific to it, of if the 11sp vs 12sp width makes a difference in my chain life.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I had a sram 12sp drive train and swapped to a 10sp shimano drive train and kept the same front chain ring and everything works perfect. It's actually been better than the sram drive train as I'm yet to drop my chain

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
So you're saying, you kept the 12 speed front chainring? I'm guessing the 12 speed chainring might be narrower, but am not sure. Just didn't want to get into a situation where the 12 speed chain is skinnier than the 11sp chainring and didn't mesh properly.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Well it's not a 12sp chain ring per se it's more just a 32 tooth chain ring. I don't think the front chain ring is dictated by chain size more what profile it has. Mine is a narrow wide.

And yes sorry I didn't answer your question I kept the same chain ring and it's working flawlessly

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles