Can I pick your brains again?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
3 rides in and 1 puncture already has put a damper on my new ride :(

Today, I replaced the inner tube without checking the inside of the tyre (schoolboy error I know) - 2 inner tubes punctured now, good job I bought 2 new tubes.

I've thought about going tubeless, but thats could get expensive, tubeless pump, sealant etc. Also I understand the sealant has to be replaced every few months, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I'm thinking about a bag that fits in the frame to carry everything required for the trail; spare tube, pump, levers etc.

As I'm not keen on a backpack, does anyone know of a bag the fits in the frame of the Levo that would hold everything?

Any other idea's welcome too :)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
for what its worth I was running tubeless on my levo but got 3 punctures in a week riding the rocks around here so gave up and put tubes in.. I was thinking of part filling a heavy duty tube with slime left over from the motorbike days, I know it will be heavy but the rocks around here are pretty savage..
but thats just me and its dependant on my regular ride..

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
for what its worth I was running tubeless on my levo but got 3 punctures in a week riding the rocks around here so gave up and put tubes in.. I was thinking of part filling a heavy duty tube with slime left over from the motorbike days, I know it will be heavy but the rocks around here are pretty savage..
but thats just me and its dependant on my regular ride..

Good idea, I've seen the Slime filled tubes, but the 29" is up to 2.2 wide only. I did contact my lbs and they advised not to try it in a 2.6 wide tyre :(

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
After I had a puncture (with inner tubes), I put milk into the inner tube and it cured the problem. So, now I‘m riding with milk in inner tubes - like tubeless - no problems anymore!

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
After I had a puncture (with inner tubes), I put milk into the inner tube and it cured the problem. So, now I‘m riding with milk in inner tubes - like tubeless - no problems anymore!

Thanks McInner1, by milk do you mean sealant fluid?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
3 rides in and 1 puncture already has put a damper on my new ride :(

Today, I replaced the inner tube without checking the inside of the tyre (schoolboy error I know) - 2 inner tubes punctured now, good job I bought 2 new tubes.

I've thought about going tubeless, but thats could get expensive, tubeless pump, sealant etc. Also I understand the sealant has to be replaced every few months, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I'm thinking about a bag that fits in the frame to carry everything required for the trail; spare tube, pump, levers etc.

As I'm not keen on a backpack, does anyone know of a bag the fits in the frame of the Levo that would hold everything?

Any other idea's welcome too :)

Bought this tool case which goes in the bottle holder. I’ve got everything in there. 3 gas canisters and injector. Bike pump, patch repair kit, tyre levers and loads of other stuff.

CEA592C5-8B5D-4D4F-993F-634A3AE0DBB2.jpeg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Theoretically a good idea. Fungal spores would ferment the lactose and produce carbon dioxide keeping the tyre inflated.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you go that way, you can also get a "double bottle cage holder", so you can run two cages side by side, one with your water, one with your case.

Theoretically a good idea. Fungal spores would ferment the lactose and produce carbon dioxide keeping the tyre inflated.

And if things ever got really bad, you could cut it open and snack on some tasty cottage cheese.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Looks good beekeeper, where did you get it? and what pump fits in it?

Amazon do the cases. 10 left. I think about £12

The pump is a race rocket from Halfords. I use it to partially inflate the tyre then I use a gas canister to pop the rim on properly.

B13618DE-6031-49FB-BF5F-04B75BB3402F.jpeg

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I would suggest giving tubeless a try, it is really not expensive in my book. The only thing you will need is to purchase the sealant (Stans in my case) and check the level twice a year. The Tubeless valves should have come with your bike.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I carry co2 cannisters/adaptor, levers and tools in a Lezyne micro bag which fixes to the underneath of the saddle and a spare tube strapped to the frame...there are a few makes of those to choose from. On rocky ground you are best running near maximum tyre pressures. If it is punctures by thorns try staying on the trail and out of the shrubbery!!:p

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
depends on where your riding. I did an experiment and put tubless in the front and Tannus Armour in the rear.
So far i've had 1 puncture in the front (Glass) and none in the rear. time will tell

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Thank you all for your advise, it's not as simple as I'd hoped!

I have thought about Tanus and it looks like a great solution, but the spec says 2.5 max width and the 2019 Levo's run 2.6. I might try and contact them and see what they say.

Slime tubes would be the perfect solution for me as it's mainly thorns around here (until I can get to some serious trails), but I've been advised not to even try their 29" tubes as the max width is 2.2 and won't stretch to the 2.6.

Tubeless might still be on the cards, but do you really have to replace the sealant every few months as I've read? If not it will be worth a go as I did get the valves with the bike. Seating the tyres might be the only issue though.

Carrying a tube/pump etc creates its own issues; a bag that fits in the bottle cage means getting an adapter so I can fit 2 cages - or no drink. Plus the hassle of actually swapping out the inner tube when I get a puncture - not much fun this time of year.

So a lot more think about, and thanks for all the responses so far :)

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
been tubeless last 7-8 years...ride 2-3 times a week...no punctures. its a 5min job to refill sealant if the tires a bit low ( just pick it up and shake it...if no sloshing..its low).

No one i know uses tubes in years. Our last DH trip to chiangmai (gnarliest trails in my region), out of group of 8 riders...3 days...my group of 5 were tubeless, no punctures...the other 3 running tubes had total 4 punctures.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
been tubeless last 7-8 years...ride 2-3 times a week...no punctures. its a 5min job to refill sealant if the tires a bit low ( just pick it up and shake it...if no sloshing..its low).

No one i know uses tubes in years. Our last DH trip to chiangmai (gnarliest trails in my region), out of group of 8 riders...3 days...my group of 5 were tubeless, no punctures...the other 3 running tubes had total 4 punctures.

Thanks jwrx, so you don't change the sealant completely, just top it up?

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Thank you all for your advise, it's not as simple as I'd hoped!

I have thought about Tanus and it looks like a great solution, but the spec says 2.5 max width and the 2019 Levo's run 2.6. I might try and contact them and see what they say.

So a lot more think about, and thanks for all the responses so far :)
My 2020 cube also as 2.6 tyres and I can report that they fit perfectly. remember to come down a size in innertube

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Thanks jwrx, so you don't change the sealant completely, just top it up?

yea, i just have a bottle of Stans in the cupboard and top up whenever. (which is very rare to be honest)

My last set of tires...i wore out the tread before i had to top up. ie...i changed new tires when the treads died and it still had sealant inside

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles